vinyl?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
vinyl?
« on: 23 Jul 2009, 12:20 am »
I was auditioning my last tick in the box for preamplifiers a few days ago and I was a little disappointed that I did not get a wow affect from this audition. I will not mention the equipment manufacturer because that would not be fair - acoustics is a very personal taste and we all differ in this area.

What I can say is that the preamplifier I auditioned listed approximately $3K above the BP26 and I could not see (hmmm...hear) it eclipsing the BP26 in performance. I remember auditioning the 28B/BP26 combination - now there was a wow affect as well as the jaw hitting the floor follow-up.

The sales representative asked if I wanted to hear some vinyl.  I have not listened to this format in over twenty years and I was a little curious. The turntable and the CD player that were in the system were both in the mid $6K range and they were using a tube phono section. I could not believe the difference in sound between these two formats and I was very impressed with the vinyl format - it was definitely a wow affect.

I am new to high end audio and I am curious if vinyl is making a comeback - or did it ever drop out of favour? Looking around, I have noticed a lot of used vinyl for sale at very reasonable prices and it seems to be everywhere from thrift stores to music stores.

I would appreciate any opinions and or advise with respect to turntables - I can definitely see me adding a turntable to my system in the future. Oh by the way, what preamplifier did I order? Send in the BP26 coach - and make it in the aluminium finish :drool:

Thanks in advance,

Laundrew?

drummermitchell

Re: vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2009, 12:51 am »
I don't think it ever dropped out,I believe it's picking up momentum.
The sound of vinyl is very satisfying(to my ears)                                     same cozy feeling as a woodheat.
It just very pleasant on the ears.You have to watch on LP buying as some recordings are brutal.I have mine on top of my av rack,I have to walk vewy,vewy slowly as the needle wants to jump.I picked up a wallmount TTshelf
to solve the problem :thumb:.There is a vinyl circle on here you might want to check out 8)..

Mad Mr H

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2009, 12:57 am »
Best in the correct section but here is the little I know!

Pressing can be found on 180g or 200g format. The heavy vinyl is better.

A good needle and cartridge are as important as the TT, maybe even more so.

Thats about it for me  :oops:, I do have a TT but it is need of TLC (Transcriptor Hydraulic ref from 1965)

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2009, 01:25 am »
You need to look no further than the vinyl site on this forum !!

myself, been spinning since '61, never went out of favor for me (and many others I may add). Given your budget you will be able to do nicely, remember, your budget needs to include tt, arm, cart and whatever cleaning procedure you decide to go with.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2009, 01:31 am »
Vinyl never died.  Maybe it took a bit of a nap.

There's something about vinyl that just sounds 'right' to my ears.  I'm not saying digital sounds wrong; its not wrong at all.  But when both are done properly and equally well, vinyl trumps digital pretty much every time to my ears.  Everyone who's come to my house and had no real interest in hifi were very surprised.

I didn't covert anyone though, for what its worth.

Robert D

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2009, 02:27 am »
Next on my To Buy List !
Turntable !!

Robert

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2009, 02:56 am »

it's not just the sound of vinyl that turns me on. it's the whole procedure like holding a nice cover in my hands, doing the cleanings, watching the record spinning on that damn good looking turntable...i just like it!

al.

ChrisBo

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2009, 03:14 am »
I just got into high end audio about a year ago and I was lucky enough to inherit a large collection of vinyl from my uncle. I now have a fantastic collection from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I enjoy listening to these LP's as frequently as possible as they offer a smoothe/warm sound that differs from other formats. I have also purchased some newer LP's although, they seem to be hit or miss interms of sound quality.

Even an 'affordable' TT along with a small collection of LP's will be a nice addition to your set up.

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2009, 02:52 pm »
Hi Laundrew,

Did you order your BP26 yet?  If not you might want to consider the P or MC model.  The former supports moving magnet cartridges and the latter both moving magnet and moving coil.  They are internal to the BP26, are identical in performance to the external BP1.5 and are 25% and 50% the price of the BP 1.5 respectively.  The only advantage to the BP 1.5 is the ability to adjust gain by moving jumpers inside the unit.  I agree with Mr. H that the cartridge choice is at least as important as the TT especially in the under $3K USD market.  I bought the BP26P and plan to upgrade my circa 1975 Thorens TD160 with a Clearaudio Maestro or Virtuoso cartridge.  You will find that the phono stage, to strike a balance between sound quality and gain, will have to be turned up noticeably higher than your other sources-not a cause for concern.

Bill

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2009, 03:39 pm »

...by choosing the internal phono section of the bp26 the stereo/mono switch will be replaced. this might not be the most important feature but worth to think about if STEREO is the major concern?!

al 8).

95Dyna

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2009, 03:57 pm »

...by choosing the internal phono section of the bp26 the stereo/mono switch will be replaced. this might not be the most important feature but worth to think about if STEREO is the major concern?!

al 8).

Hi Alex,

You only lose the stereo/mono switch on the BP26MC.  The phono section on the BP26P (MM only) is accessed via the source selector dial and the stereo mono switch remains in place.  On the MC it is replaced with a MM/MC switch.

Bill

Laundrew

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2009, 07:18 pm »

it's not just the sound of vinyl that turns me on. it's the whole procedure like holding a nice cover in my hands, doing the cleanings, watching the record spinning on that damn good looking turntable...i just like it!

al.

Hello Al,

Interesting comment, the sales rep who was doing the demo for me echoed your thoughts completely - he said it was more of a ritual playing vinyl that made him feel more a part of the music - much more hands on.

Laundrew

Laundrew

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2009, 07:30 pm »
Hi Laundrew,

Did you order your BP26 yet?  If not you might want to consider the P or MC model.  The former supports moving magnet cartridges and the latter both moving magnet and moving coil.  They are internal to the BP26, are identical in performance to the external BP1.5 and are 25% and 50% the price of the BP 1.5 respectively.  The only advantage to the BP 1.5 is the ability to adjust gain by moving jumpers inside the unit.  I agree with Mr. H that the cartridge choice is at least as important as the TT especially in the under $3K USD market.  I bought the BP26P and plan to upgrade my circa 1975 Thorens TD160 with a Clearaudio Maestro or Virtuoso cartridge.  You will find that the phono stage, to strike a balance between sound quality and gain, will have to be turned up noticeably higher than your other sources-not a cause for concern.

Bill

Hello Bill,

I ordered my BP26 yesterday :D I was so impressed with the TT/ tube phono section I auditioned a few days ago, I would probally consider purchasing these two components down the road (of course, after I audtion more manufacturers equipment and learn a little more about viynl).

TC

Laundrew

Laundrew

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2009, 07:32 pm »
Viynl Site? :duh: :oops: Thanks for the information, I will check it out.

Regards,

Laundrew

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:05 am »
The Bryston phono stage is AWESOME. You will not be disappointed!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:07 am »

There's something about vinyl that just sounds 'right' to my ears.  I'm not saying digital sounds wrong; its not wrong at all.  But when both are done properly and equally well, vinyl trumps digital pretty much every time to my ears.  Everyone who's come to my house and had no real interest in hifi were very surprised.

I agree. Vinyl seems to be a higher resolution format to my ears than regular old CD. I haven't heard SACD, so I can't say anything regarding that.

Laundrew

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2009, 07:20 pm »

I agree. Vinyl seems to be a higher resolution format to my ears than regular old CD. I haven't heard SACD, so I can't say anything regarding that.

The CD player that I plan to purchase is SACD. From what I can remember - I think that the viynl had it beat. I will be able to tell for sure when I purchase a TT down the road and do an A/B side to side.

:D

ricmon

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2009, 07:45 pm »
Hi Laundrew,

Bill

Hello Bill,

I ordered my BP26 yesterday :D I was so impressed with the TT/ tube phono section I auditioned a few days ago, I would probally consider purchasing these two components down the road (of course, after I audtion more manufacturers equipment and learn a little more about viynl).

TC

Laundrew

Hey Laundrew.  Last night while listening to some vinyl I thought about the statement you made about the tube phono pre.  I would suggest you take the same recording that "wow-ed" yha and listen to it on all the phono pres you audition.  I bet you 3 to 1 that it's more the lp than the phono pre topology.  also as preached in the vinyl circle, the simpler you?re set up the better vinyl play back.  I am using an AVA T7 preamp with phono section, strapped with NOS Telefunkin tubes.......it's very satisfying and the wow effect follows the quality of the recording.

good luck on you journey

Ric

rmurray

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2009, 10:15 pm »
 Don't think for a second that any phonographic medium can hold a sonic candle to really excellent red book cd...if you have the right equipment !  Get with the the times and quit beleiving in this myth that lp is better. The fact is only supported by a pleasant form of harmonic distortion. By the way, who needs the intrusion of that tape hiss , lack of dynamics and dirty grooves ?  RMURRAY.... and freinds. :duel:

guest48077

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2009, 10:46 pm »
Don't think for a second that any phonographic medium can hold a sonic candle to really excellent red book cd...if you have the right equipment !  Get with the the times and quit beleiving in this myth that lp is better. The fact is only supported by a pleasant form of harmonic distortion. By the way, who needs the intrusion of that tape hiss , lack of dynamics and dirty grooves ?  RMURRAY.... and freinds. :duel:

I disagree, but will not defend. This topic has been in debate for way too long.