Neko Audio D100 Loaner Program

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Neko Audio D100 Loaner Program
« on: 22 Jul 2009, 03:35 pm »
I'm happy to announce the Neko Audio D100 loaner program. Basically, this lets you sign up to audition the D100 in your own home without making a purchase. What's better than that? aa

There are two programs in operation, one for U.S. residents and one for Canadian residents. Click the links for more detail.
U.S. Loaner Program
Canada Loaner Program

The Neko Audio D100 is a reference stereo DAC featuring a 100% passive transformer-based analog output stage and is fully balanced.

For more information, including professional and customer reviews, visit www.NekoAudio.com.

Features:
  • WM8804 low-jitter S/PDIF receiver
  • Dual mono Burr-Brown PCM1794A DAC chips
  • 0.1% output resistors and Jensen JT-11-EMCF output transformers

pardales

Re: Neko Audio D100 Loaner Program
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:48 am »
D100 has landed safely and is settling in.

pardales

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2009, 11:46 pm »
First off, thanks to Wes and Neko Audio for offering this generous tour.

I have sincerely enjoyed my time with the D100. It arrived in great shape, well packed, and the fit and finish of the unit was first rate. I used the IC's Wes included as I only have single-ended connections on my amp. I also used a Van Den Hul Opticoupler II Mini Jack to Toslink cable for comparison to my coaxial set-up (to put it bluntly, this route was just not as good as the coaxial link).

I easily put about 80 hours on the DAC before sat down to critically listen. I don't write long reviews and tend to speak in fairly general terms which is why I will never be a professional reviewer; sorry if this frustrates you. I run through lots of different stuff as I listen: Ahamad Jamal, Radiohead, Tord Gustavson Trio, R.E.M., Wes Montgomery, Wilco, Ani Defranco, Buena Vista Social Club, The WHO, Ben Harper, Internet Radio, etc., etc.. I listen to a wide variety of music and have the remastered versions of almost all my music (if it has been remastered). Still, the recording quality of my collection is varied.

The D100 throws a very clear window on the sound. It has an extremely quiet, black background, and a very relaxed, even smooth sound. One of the things that immediately presented itself to me was that the soundstage was more forward with the D100 in my system. Instead of sound emanating from slightly behind my speakers the soundstage was more forward, in front of the speakers. The D100 had good inner detail and nicely rounded bass tones.

I am a strong believer in system synergy. A DAC in one system can present itself very differently than in another. It would not surprise me in the least if this DAC was the last stop for many people. It offers a very high quality sound that I think a lot of people will love, as the pro reviews suggest. For me, it was just not a match. In my system the D100 was a little too relaxed, and I could not get used to the forward soundstage. The clarity was wonderful but the detail and bass were not quite what they were with my DAC.

I enjoyed my time with the D100 and believe that if it meets your price point you should absolutely have it on your audition list. Wes has been great to deal with and what can you say about a company that offers a 30-day trial -- its the right way to do business in this hobby.

Many thanks, 

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2009, 02:48 am »
Thanks for posting your review, pardales. :)