DBX encoded vinyl

Packfill

DBX encoded vinyl
« on: 21 Jul 2009, 08:14 pm »
I ordered an LP online and discovered upon receiving it that it was DBX encoded.
1.  If I play it back on my system without decoder, will it be compressed?
2.  Any inexpensive way to get it to play the way its supposed to.  ie. cheap but effective decoders?

(I didn't pay a lot.  I'm prepared to give it away, so this is more for my education.)

bunnyma357

Re: DBX encoded vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2009, 08:43 pm »
From a brief check it looks like the LP is compressed and will sound bad without a decoder. According to Wikipedia the compression/expansion used for LP's was dBx Type II, I couldn't find any of the LP decoders but there seem to be quite a few of the Type II encoder/decoders used with tape decks on eBay, so you could bid on one of those and just use the decode side. It seems like it should work, but I have no personal experience with dBx LPs.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__dbx-type?_dmpt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

The complaint with dBX was that you could hear "breathing" or "pumping" as the background level became louder and quieter, to some people this was really annoying, others weren't bothered by it.

Jim C

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2009, 02:10 am »
You must have a dbx decoder to play back, and it sounds very compressed and noisy without one.  They come up on ebay regularly.  I have the DBX 128 which is a decoder + compression/expansion features.  I've been putting together a decent little collection of DBX encoded disc.  If you decide not to mess with it, and it's a disc I don't have, I'd probably take it off your hands for whatever you paid for it.

Scott
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009, 05:27 am by S Clark »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2009, 03:22 am »
DBX vinyl is a pretty rare thing.  I'd agree to either keep it for collector value or sell it to someone who has the proper hardware to use it the right way.

Bryan

ideasource

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2009, 11:45 am »
Hello from Canada

If the music is important to you, I have a dbx II unit which I believe is still working. I haven't used it in a few years.

If you want a CD or MiniDisc dub of it, I'd be prepared to help you out. I still have a bunch of the dbx discs from the 80s (and they were sensational at the time) along with some MoFi, RR, Propius, etc.

If I can help you out, please let me know. Given my schedule it might take me a few weeks to do it.

Cheers

Michael

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2009, 01:38 pm »
Hi Michael,
I mentioned that I collect dbx records.  If have decided to get rid of yours, I'd appreciate the opportunity to buy them from you.  Send me a pm or my email is in my profile.

Scott

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2009, 04:35 pm »
Were there popular titles released with dbx encoding? Or more along the line of audiophile/specialty recordings?

Paul

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2009, 06:17 pm »
As I recall, some of both.  I have several, such as Symphonic Dances from the Dallas Symphony on Vox, Crystal Gayle (Brown Eyes Blue or somesuch), and a helluva good late recording of the Kingston Trio done in the mid-70's.  These are the ones that come to mind while I am at work.

I think there was a disc decoder only, that should be cheap on 'bay.  I'll look at mine (in the closet) when I get home tonight.