A cheap vinyl storage solution found.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
A cheap vinyl storage solution found.
« on: 21 Jul 2009, 02:38 pm »
I have been getting more and more records.  I recently picked up an opera legacy from an old lady who loved opera -- over a 100 very nice boxed sets.  Needless to say, I need more shelf space.  I have been looking over the 'net for an inexpensive solution and I found this Large Divided Cube at Target.

With free shipping and 15% off for >$125 order, I got 4 of these shipped for $160. A comparable unit at Gothic Cabinet Craft is $176 shipped for 1 unit.  It is made out of birch veneer instead of probable pressed wood for the Target unit, but I will take 4 Target units for the price of one.:thumb:

P.S.  There is even a cheaper unit without the center divider but I wanted ones with it to make sure they don't sag from the weight of the records when I stack them.

lcrim

Re: A cheap vinyl storage solution found.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2009, 03:44 pm »
Hi Rim:
You got a nice deal.
I have this http://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/record-cabinet-rack-wbasebase-unit-p-636.html?cPath=2_28 which is double the effective size of one of the Target cubes.  Unfortunately with the finish and shipping, the price is closer to $225.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2009, 04:10 pm »
Larry,

I was looking at that unit thinking it's not bad.  Then I put in the finish and shipping.  :duh:

Anyway, I hope things are looking up for you.

Cheers,

Rim

P.S.  If you want some opera LP's let me know.

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2009, 04:28 pm »
Rim:
Thanks for the thought but I'm still waiting. 
As far as opera goes, I don't think I can handle Wagner but whatever else you can spare.
TIA

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2009, 05:13 pm »
I use an Ikea Traby shelf unit.  I added their feet and glass doors to it.  The website says $50 plus $10 for the feet and $10 for each the door.  I don't remember exactly what I paid, it was was less than $80.  About $65 if I remember correctly.  When my collection outgrows it, I can get more of them.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70105070

A few friends use the Ikea Expedit bookshelves.  They come in a bunch of different sizes and finishes -

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086

A gentleman on another forum posted this -
http://www.lpbin.com/

I think its pretty cool, but I don't have the collection for it.

Gothic Cabinet Craft makes some very good quality stuff for good prices.  Not every piece is an excellent price, but most are.  I own some furniture from there.  I save on shipping because they're about 10 blocks from my house.

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2009, 06:32 pm »
I have been getting more and more records.  I recently picked up an opera legacy from an old lady who loved opera -- over a 100 very nice boxed sets.  Needless to say, I need more shelf space.  I have been looking over the 'net for an inexpensive solution and I found this Large Divided Cube at Target.

With free shipping and 15% off for >$125 order, I got 4 of these shipped for $160. A comparable unit at Gothic Cabinet Craft is $176 shipped for 1 unit.  It is made out of birch veneer instead of probable pressed wood for the Target unit, but I will take 4 Target units for the price of one.:thumb:

P.S.  There is even a cheaper unit without the center divider but I wanted ones with it to make sure they don't sag from the weight of the records when I stack them.

A few months ago I had new LP racks built for me to my own designs. My racks are setup in rectangular cubes that stack (I did this to make them easier to move around).
I made the cubes 11 1/2" deep x 14 1/2" tall x 47" long with a center divider (all measurments are inside deminsions). Originally I wanted them painted in a gloss white, but the cabnet maker suggested that I go with a white laminate instead as it's more durable and cleans easilly. Anyway I bought ten cubes for $900 delivered to my garage.  I went with the 11 1/2" depth for two reasons. One is that it's a good bit cheaper, but most of all I can get my fingers on an LP easier. I'll probably build a smaller unit this winter, that will hold about 500 LP's. Also a large CD rack that will hold at least 1000 cd's
gary

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2009, 07:01 pm »
I'm sure you guys have nice looking storage. Mine is from Menards but I got one mother of a shelf that's holding about 900 LPs. The shelfs are strong, but it looks like it belongs out in the garage.

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2009, 08:58 pm »
Very nice!  I'll second the plug for Ikea's Expedit line of shelving.  :thumb:  My little library is here.  Each cube will hold ~60 LPs and no sign of sag.

Does anyone remember Peaches Records stores?  For decades my LP storage system consisted of 8 wooden "fruit crates" that you could buy in kit form from Peaches.  Anyone else?

Cheers,
JakeJ

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:00 pm »
I have 2 real peach crates in the attic right now.

Wayner :)
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009, 12:35 pm by Wayner »

bunnyma357

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:07 pm »
Does anyone remember Peaches Records stores?  For decades my LP storage system consisted of 8 wooden "fruit crates" that you could buy in kit form from Peaches.  Anyone else?

Cheers,
JakeJ

I had 5 of the Peaches crates, and just got rid of them 2 years ago, on our last move. They really worked great, and suffered through a lot of moves in college and immediately after.

Jim C

Airborn

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:17 pm »
If you don't mind doing a little simple sanding, staining and assembly, the attached from unfinshed wood furniture works great and can be customized to match your decor, which really helps the WAF for having all your LPs visible and accessible. 
http://www.1unfinishedfurniture.com/495w.html

Of course, that's how I sold her on getting 2 of these units, which each hold over 500 LPs, but in reality, staining real wood is tricky and they ended up not even matching each other,  much less the rest of the "real" furniture.  :lol:   Now that I am running out of space, I don't know what to tell her to convince her we need another one. :scratch:

TRM

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2009, 12:14 am »

This is what I use, works great and I can pick it up here locally. The shipping costs make most online cabinet orders way too expensive imo.

Airborn

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2009, 12:29 am »
This is what I use, works great and I can pick it up here locally. The shipping costs make most online cabinet orders way too expensive imo.

I'm no shill for the unfinished wood furniture company, but I will note that one of the big selling points for me was the free shipping; easily a $50-$75 savings based upon the weight.  http://www.1unfinishedfurniture.com/495w.html
On the other hand, if you can get the Large Divided Cube at your local Target, I may have to check those out, too.  That might solve my "staining" problem. :wink:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2009, 11:55 am »
Target writes that the Large Cube Espresso is only available through on line purchase and not available at stores at this time.  They are, however, shipping it free with volume (3 or more) discount.

smbrown

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2009, 06:59 pm »
Glad I ran across this thread! Just placed an order for 3 of them. My collection is mostly stacked against walls in my listening room, and in great need of organization. The free shipping was a nice bonus.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:15 pm »
Just 3?  :wink:

I got my 4.  Put them together and put them in service.  I put all my opera LPs in there and I ran out of room and I still have more on the floor.   :duh:

I just ordered 4 more.  :thumb:

It's not fine furniture but it looks good.  It's made with thin veneer (not paper) over 1/2" particle board.  It's solid enough and looks good in the basement lair.  I will update with pictures later.