Bryston On Order

WBimmer

Bryston On Order
« on: 21 Jul 2009, 04:09 am »
I'm a noob to this site, but I'm really excited about my recent order with Absolute Audio in Calgary.

Ordered up a BP26/MPS2 with a 14BSST2, Torus RM10 and Cardas cables and power cords.  These items will run my Kef Reference 205's, with a Rega Saturn CD player.

I used a Yamaha RX-Z1 (HT days are over) to run these speakers before, so this is going to be like going from a Fiat to a Ferrari...

I'm also considering the BDA-1, but I thought I'd get these items running first and see how the Rega sounds and then test drive the BDA-1 to see how much of a difference I hear.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Bryston On Order
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2009, 05:48 am »
hi, WBimmer!

congrats on your purchase! the new ones will blow you and your older equipment AWAY  :thumb:.

Enjoy!

al.

1oldguy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2009, 12:35 pm »
I concur....Congrats. :wink:

Mad Mr H

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2009, 06:44 pm »
Same here, excellent buy, enjoy.

Andy.

Robert D

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2009, 02:24 am »
congrats on your purchase!

All I see Missing is a BCD-1 !
Connected to YOUR BDA-1

Enjoy !

Robert

WBimmer

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2009, 10:16 pm »
Wow!  I ordered on Saturday and it's here on Friday.  Can't believe how fast everything arrived.  Now I need to hook it up and start listening...

Wayne.

1oldguy

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2009, 11:03 pm »
Looking forward to your review once you have a listen.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2009, 11:11 pm »
That's one Hell of a system WB!

Robert D

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2009, 11:39 pm »
Enjoy !

It only gets Better !

WBimmer

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2009, 11:12 pm »
I took everything out of the boxes and hooked it up as is without worrying about placement and such.  I turned it on at 7:00PM last night and it's been playing every since to break everything in.

I was told it takes 500 hours or so for Bryston to sound their best.  Well, from the first note, it blows away my Yamaha away with no contest whatsoever.  I'm not an Audiophile and without direct side-by-side comparisons, subtle differences aren't that noticable to me, so my new Bryston sounds fantastic as is and I can only imagine how good this will sound for years to come.

At some point I'll have to turn it off, so that I can place everything and run the cables and such and then work on speaker placement...

I'm glad I went with the 14B over the 4B that I was considering at first.  I really like the extra grunt...  My wife commented that last night was the first time she'd seen the woofers move like that.  They actually go in and out now instead of vibrating with the Yamaha...

Wayne.

1oldguy

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2009, 11:18 pm »
Good point WB.........Soon I will be hooking the some of my gear up for 2 channel audio and was curious about the movement of the woofers since I've seen on youtube some really good speakers moving so much air it looked painful.

vegasdave

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:40 pm »
I took everything out of the boxes and hooked it up as is without worrying about placement and such.  I turned it on at 7:00PM last night and it's been playing every since to break everything in.

I was told it takes 500 hours or so for Bryston to sound their best.  Well, from the first note, it blows away my Yamaha away with no contest whatsoever.  I'm not an Audiophile and without direct side-by-side comparisons, subtle differences aren't that noticable to me, so my new Bryston sounds fantastic as is and I can only imagine how good this will sound for years to come.

At some point I'll have to turn it off, so that I can place everything and run the cables and such and then work on speaker placement...

I'm glad I went with the 14B over the 4B that I was considering at first.  I really like the extra grunt...  My wife commented that last night was the first time she'd seen the woofers move like that.  They actually go in and out now instead of vibrating with the Yamaha...

Wayne.

Sounds good.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2009, 08:32 pm »
Hello Wayne,

Any new updates on your system?

Be well...

WBimmer

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:21 am »
I removed the HT pieces and a rack holding it all and placed my new items where I want them.  I bought a nice little single shelf rack with a 5" lift made by Sanus for the 14B, which tucks up nicely to my stand holding the Plasma, the BP26/MPS2, Rega, Torus and Bluray.  I ran the cables which fit perfectly and then played music constantly for a few days, during which I played around with the speaker placing.  I feel I got it pretty good and then James from Absolute came around and tweek them further.  It turned out that my Kef's like to be firing straight and we found the bass response is better with them firing straight.

The sound is absolutly amazing.  Both the wife and I sit and listen to music that we've heard countless times and it's amazing the extra detail that's in the music that we've never heard before.  I had high end speakers and a high end CD player, so I wouldn't have guessed it could have gotten much better, but it did.

I really appreciate the subtle things in the music, such as the sweeping across a drum, or the plucking of a guitar string and the tendor nuances that come out in vocals.  I also appreciate the ability to sound just as good at high volumes.  I now realize that the ear hears loudness as distortion and when the music is loud and clear, you don't realize how loud it is until you try to say something to someone and then you can't hear them speaking, or at one time when I had it turned up to 2 O'clock, I couldn't hear my own voice...  I'm sure the neighbours are loving me...

Wayne.

danman

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2009, 01:55 pm »
The neighbors are probably just jealous!! :D

95Dyna

« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2009, 02:21 pm »
Hi Wayne,

Congrats on your new stuff.  Have you listened without the RM 10 to get an idea what it is contributing to your improved sound?  I'm curious because I just bought a pair of 7B's and a BP26 and was looking at the RM15 or 20 to add to the mix but the size and weight of them present a placement challenge.  The RM10 is perfect in that regard but I wasn't sure it would be big enough for the 7/14B.  How did you decide on the RM10 (did your dealer recommend it)?

Regards,

Bill

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:17 pm »
The neighbors are probably just jealous!! :D

And so they should be.... :D

Congrats on your new system Wayne :banana piano:

Be well...

drummermitchell

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2009, 06:23 pm »
yes,congrats,nice you could get a real nice music foundation,
 :thumb:,[PRE,POWER and the TORUS :thumb:,].

WBimmer

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2009, 12:44 am »
Bill, my dealer spoke with James and he recommended either the RM15 or RM20 for my application, but I had the same problem with size constraints, so that's why I opted for the RM10.  So I have everything but the 14B plugged into it, which is plugged into the wall socket, as per my dealers recommendation.  He actually recommended this right from the beginning, even before I mentioned that I wanted a new conditioner.

I haven't tried the BP26 plugged to the wall as a comparison, so I cannot comment on this and I haven't tried plugging the 14B into the RM10 to see if can handle it.  Worst that can happen is it throws the built-in breaker.

I used to have a Monster HTS3600 which I just sold, but before I sold it, I used it's amp meter readout to see how many amps everything was drawing, which would be the plasma, BP26/MPS2, Bluray and Rega and combined they were pulling 1.2 amps.  Now according to the spec sheet for the plasma, it says it should have been pulling 3.0 amps alone, so I think amp draw is overrated for most things, so you may actually get away with the RM10 in your application.

Wayne.

vegasdave

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:21 am »
Cool shit, Wayne. Enjoy.