FS: MHDT Paradisea DAC w/several upgrades

djdube525

FS: MHDT Paradisea DAC w/several upgrades
« on: 20 Jul 2009, 07:41 pm »
I have an original (non USB) MHDT Paradisea DAC for sale. Take's Optical, Coax, and RCA inputs.

This is a MHDT labs non-oversampling DAC is in very good condition. There are some minor "swirl" marks on the top of the case. It uses a 396A and 5670 family of tubes for the output stage to give a really smooth, very analog sound. The unit comes with the a GE 5 star 5670 tube installed and three others I bought off ebay (were reportedly lightly used).  The DAC is very well regarded and very high quality with a warm, detailed, non-fatiguing sound. I will include a power cord and a fiber cable if so desired.

Upgrades include:
Electrolytic Power Caps replaced with Panasonic FC series electrolytics
Remaining non Rubycon electrolytics replaced with Panasonic FM series caps
All Film Caps upgraded with Gen 1 Sonic Caps
Output Caps bypassed with Gen 2 Sonic Caps
Op-amp buffer replaced with Burr Brown OPA2107AU
Op-amp power and rails decoupled with ceramic and tantalum caps per datasheet recomendations

Price: *$435* which includes shipping via priority mail to anywhere in the continental US, as well as Pay Pall Fees.

I haven't sold much through here, but feel free to check out my ebay reviews (userid: djdube525)
I will be posting this on a couple sites... will try to go first come first served via PMs.

Regards,
Dave
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009, 11:27 am by djdube525 »

djdube525

Re: FS: MHDT Paradisea DAC w/several upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2009, 11:28 am »
Bump for price reduction... asking $435

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:07 pm »
Last check/bump before trying ebay.

Dave

toobluvr

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2009, 05:18 pm »
I owned the non-modded version of this DAC.  If you wanna get involved and swept away by the music as the gear kindof melts away, you could do a lot worse than this unit.  Especially at the price!

Good luck on the sale.

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:49 am »
Can you tell me what differences (improvements) that you noticed with the mods vs the standard Paradisea.  I have the stock model and am curious of what qualities the mods mights have added.
Thanks,
Morgan

djdube525

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2009, 10:05 pm »
I'll be totally honest with you... I modded from the get go.

There's a rather extensive thread on one of these circles.
The biggest gain from what people who have compared is the tube, opamp, and output caps. I have easy access to a lab... Back in my co-op days I've done a bit of soldering... So for minimal money I just went ahead and did it.

I did the mods based on what other people were hearing... A cleaner, wider, deeper soundstage.

A couple things to note... The op amp I used I believe is what comes standard with the recent builds. It's often compared as the closest dual opamp amp in the burr brown lineup to the opa627.

If I were to do it again... I'd consider using obligotto film caps... Another good bang for the buck.

That said... It doesn't answer your question.

Lastly, if anyone was at the NJGTG (AV123) about a year and a half ago... This is exactly the DAC that was upstairs at Deepak's.

Ok one more thing... Why selling? I started hacking my SB3... Pretty happy with the way it's turned out so far. Decimate improvemt over stock. The paradisea sounds a little better... I'd rather put the money towards a pre/amp combo inplace of my Yamaha HT Receiver.

Dave

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:26 pm »
I am VERY interested !
Please call me at 412/654/2510

I prefer a call if possible.

or email me at toddnkaya@att.net
having trouble using mail through audiocircle.
Thanks ,
Todd

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2009, 10:33 pm »
Please contact me, when you have a chance
Thanks!
Todd