SongTowers For HT Rears

Djohn

SongTowers For HT Rears
« on: 19 Jul 2009, 05:59 pm »
I have received the SongTowers (Dome), SongCenter, and SongSurround 1.

A very large quandry has developed thanks to Jim Salk's very generous offer.

SongSurround 1 cannot be placed in a perfect postion due to the BTech wall brackets so I was thinking of upgrading the SongSurround's to SongTower rears. Have researched all forums regarding using Towers for the rears and the consensus seems to be that it is overkill.

I am using Blu Ray exclusively and thrilled with the front end. If I upgrade the rears to Towers I can place them in a better location than the wall mounts.

My thought is that placing the SongSurround's on stands I should just accept Jim's offer and go the extra mile for the Towers.

My current setup picture is on the Salk Forum under Djohn. The fronts are not ideal for placement and the rears will be similar but can be a larger width.

Is anyone on this Forum using the Tower's as rears. I could only find one poster that is using five SongTowers.

Any advice would be appreciated since the wife says go for it.

Nuance

Re: SongTowers For HT Rears
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2009, 06:31 pm »
I believe Zybar has a full 5.0 setup of SongTower's for his HT system.  He seems to love them. 

I used to have tower's as rears and I also loved them, so I say go for it.  It will allow better positioning and will give you lower extension for surround sound duties.  What's not to like?  :)

jd3

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2009, 08:42 pm »
If you've got the room, the cash, and most importantly the wife's OK...I'd be calling Jim right now.  I say go for it! :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2009, 09:56 pm »
As Nuance pointed out, I do have five SongTowers and absolutely enjoy them.

Is it overkill?  I don't think so, but maybe others would.  In the end, who cares what others think?   :wink:

I have plenty of room and I didn't have to sacrifice any other part of the system to have them, so why not?

I will say that I only went with them once Blu-ray and hi-rez really started to happen.   Having five of the exact same speaker allows one to really maximize a HT setup and fully take advantage of Blu-ray and its lossless, hi-rez capabilities.  It isn't like the old days when there was matrix or mono sound in the rears...today's Blu-ray discs are finally fully exercising and making use of the rear channels.

Anyway, I say go for it...I know I have no regrets on going down this path.

George

floresjc

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2009, 11:57 am »
I don't have mine yet, but I ordered ST for the front and rear, the only one that is not a ST is my SongCenter. Most people think its overkill, but its what I wanted if I had the money. I don't have the flexibility Zybar does for the center, so I went with a standard center instead of a 5th ST.

I think the primary consideration I had was the move to multichannel soundtracks. I think as time goes on, we'll see more and more foray outside of the 2ch CD setup. Since these are going to last me a while, I wanted to buy thinking ahead than looking back.

Djohn

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2009, 11:27 pm »
They are finally here.

All I can say is WOW!!!!

I am certainly glad I listened to your posts since the difference is amazing. I hate to say it for Jim Salk but the rear SongTowers are so much better than the SongSurround 1's and the surround speaker I had before them. Pay the extra money if you can since it is worth every penny.

I am hearing details from the rear that I never heard before which is great. With bluray there is some great stuff with Dolby DTS.

The sub close to the ST in the picture has been moved forward since the picture was taken.

As Nuance pointed out, I do have five SongTowers and absolutely enjoy them.

Is it overkill?  I don't think so, but maybe others would.  In the end, who cares what others think?   :wink:

Houston1

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2009, 01:02 am »
Those song towers look fantastic  :thumb:.  Djohn, what kind of sub are you using with your system?  And Zybar, I am curious how you oriented your song tower as a center channel.  Was it on its side or straight up and down?

John

Djohn

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2009, 01:42 am »
I am using two REL Storm III's.

Both are close but not too close to the SongTowers.

David

Those song towers look fantastic  :thumb:.  Djohn, what kind of sub are you using with your system?  And Zybar, I am curious how you oriented your song tower as a center channel.  Was it on its side or straight up and down?

John

Houston1

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2009, 01:58 am »
Very cool.  I thought it looked like a REL, but I wasn't sure.  I hear that they are great for music.  As a city, Houston does not seem to have alot of "high end reasonably priced" options like many cities in the northern United States.  I would love to demo some of the REL products, but finding dealers is close to impossible.  I find myself going the "internet direct" route these days because of this.  But from what I have read, the REL is an awesome sub.

John

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2009, 07:59 am »
Djohn,

The new setup looks great.  Congratulations, and enjoy!

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2009, 01:59 pm »

John

I'm not Zybar, but he has three front speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen.  They all are vertical. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2009, 02:21 pm »

John

I'm not Zybar, but he has three front speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen.  They all are vertical.

You are correct Bob.

George

ctouhey

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2009, 04:42 pm »
Very cool.  I thought it looked like a REL, but I wasn't sure.  I hear that they are great for music.  As a city, Houston does not seem to have alot of "high end reasonably priced" options like many cities in the northern United States.  I would love to demo some of the REL products, but finding dealers is close to impossible.  I find myself going the "internet direct" route these days because of this.  But from what I have read, the REL is an awesome sub.

John

Signature Home Theater carries REL.  Their main store is somewhere in the northern part of the city.  I go to their small store (only open Friday and Saturday) on Shepherd - between San Felipe and Fairview just down from Kenneally's and in the same strip as Chipolte's.  Caleb is usually there Saturday afternoons and is very accommodating.

Regards,
Chris

Houston1

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2009, 05:40 pm »

John

You are correct Bob.

George

I was actually thinking that Jim may have modified a song tower for center channel use and you placed it on its side.  I did not even think about placing it behind an acoustical transparent screen like you did   :o.  In my setup, that would not work because of my plasma display so I will be going for a Salk center speaker.  Nice setup George :D.

John

Houston1

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2009, 05:46 pm »

John

Signature Home Theater carries REL.  Their main store is somewhere in the northern part of the city.  I go to their small store (only open Friday and Saturday) on Shepherd - between San Felipe and Fairview just down from Kenneally's and in the same strip as Chipolte's.  Caleb is usually there Saturday afternoons and is very accommodating.

Regards,
Chris

Great information Chris and thank you  :D.  I will try to make it out their soon to check out their subs.  I live in Friendswood on the Southeast side of town.  Not many audio stores out here except for Best Buy and Modia.

John