I think I'm drifting to the Dark Side...

chrisby

Re: I think I'm drifting to the Dark Side...
« Reply #40 on: 22 Jul 2009, 09:55 pm »
Did I mention the hemptone  fr8's or the coral fe103a's. I would bet most the people who hang out here have multiple different driver's hanging around.

emphasis mine

ya think?    :icon_lol: 

- or for that matter multiple enclosures.  In 5 separate systems (not counting 2 computers), I have 10 11 active pairs of speakers in rotation - only two of which are are not DIY, and only one of which has XO/ tweeter.  Altogether that amounts to a lot of polka dots, and I think it would take Dave even longer to count how many working systems he has in his place.

Among the first FR single drivers we played with were several variants of the early Foster alnico "FE103" ( a good condition pair of these are still captivatingly sweet in the midrange)  as well as the ubiquitous RS40-1197.

I never did get a chance to hear a proper pair of Hemp 8", but there are more than enough decent FR drivers / enclosure designs, and never enough time...

skite30

« Reply #41 on: 23 Jul 2009, 06:42 am »
Can't have enough speaker options. . Did I mention the merrill dca4's or dca 5.5's in the pawo enclosure or the tang band w871s or the jordan jx92s? I do enjoy single drivers. This list doesn't begin to cover the driver's I would love to hear.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #42 on: 23 Jul 2009, 07:34 am »
Did I mention the merrill dca4's or dca 5.5's in the pawo enclosure or the tang band w871s or the jordan jx92s?

Got all those... well not quite, didn't like the JX92 so i sold them. TheJX150 are pretty nice thou.

dave

skite30

« Reply #43 on: 23 Jul 2009, 05:04 pm »
I sold my pair also they were all right but required too much power for the dirrection I was headed. What's your favorite so far? I've had the abby's longer than any other but I recently put the fr8's into an old snell E cabinet and they show real promise. Jrebman If this has gotten too far off the abby topic I can start a new thread.

jrebman

« Reply #44 on: 23 Jul 2009, 05:14 pm »
Yeah, ok, how about and start a new thread.

P.S. -- I have a set of the Merrill DCA4s up at Bud's place for polka dotting, and those will go in a pair of BB ply Zigmahornets I'm building, and will most likely end up in the bedroom.

These things are addictive, and for the most part, relatively inexpensive to experiment with.

-- Jim

chrisby

« Reply #45 on: 23 Jul 2009, 06:18 pm »
late to think of a silly pun for this thread,  but it's only from the Dark Side that you can appreciate the light (brilliance of the single driver approach)

Jim - have fun with those Merrills.  The Zigmas image like crazy, and are probably perfect for a little bedroom system (what amp will be driving them?)
Just don't expect any bottom - oops, I meant low frequency response.     

skite30

« Reply #46 on: 23 Jul 2009, 06:21 pm »
I tried them in a zigmahornet but I screwed up  the dimensions and they never sounded good. I have the 5.5's in a pawo cabinet in the tv room and they really turned out good very happy with them. Let us know how the 4's work out for you.

jrebman

« Reply #47 on: 23 Jul 2009, 06:49 pm »
Chris,

Probably the fully tweaked Bottlehead s.e.x. amp, which is the next project sitting here on my bench.  All the mechanical assembly is done, just need to wire it up... then build a nice base, and then go back and do it all over again with the MQ nickel pinstripe iron.  I have always planned to build this amp in stages, making individual modifications and then listening for a while until it was essentially completely rebuilt with upgraded parts.  That too is another thread for another day though.

-- Jim

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #48 on: 24 Jul 2009, 12:56 am »
Probably the fully tweaked Bottlehead s.e.x. amp

With 85 dB/W drivers hope you don't expect to play very loud.

dave

jrebman

« Reply #49 on: 24 Jul 2009, 02:02 am »
I don't believe the zigmahornets  are that low -- somewhere in the low 90s probably.

I realize the 5 inch Merrills and the fonkensteens are more in the range you say, but they also take up more room than I have so won't be used in the bedroom.

Besides, the s.e.x. amp is primarily going to be used with headphones -- Senn 600s or 650s, whichever I decide to keep upstairs.  Probably the 600s as the BH amp was designed for them.

-- Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #50 on: 27 Jul 2009, 05:11 am »
Looks like topround/Mike has stopped drifting..... :o

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #51 on: 27 Jul 2009, 06:35 am »
Well... the drift didn't last long. :o Funny I've haven't found my Omega Hemp Bipoles inadequate  in the high frequencies. :scratch: Maybe the Cain and Cains need supertweeters ;all single driver speaker aren't created equal. Of course, everyone processes sound differently too...

-Roy

boead

« Reply #52 on: 15 Sep 2009, 01:44 am »

The Parker 95 sigs are excellent and hard to beat under a few grand.
http://www.parkeraudio.net/PRODUCTS.htm

topround

« Reply #53 on: 15 Sep 2009, 02:35 am »
I just received a speaker system of immense weight and magnitude.
6 strathearn midrange ribbons
100 Fujisawa leaf tweeters
4 12 inch dynaudio woofers in seperate enclosures
2 subs with dual 18 inch woofers wired out of phase

total speaker weight about 1500 pounds
I need a 4 way active crossover and a few amps

Talk about a 180

But what I heard... was suspended belief, scary, spooky, religious
the ONLY way a single driver speaker could do what I heard was if I was on ACID!!
I love this hobby!

Mike