Alnico upgrade for Compact Hemp

almonduck

Alnico upgrade for Compact Hemp
« on: 18 Jul 2009, 11:09 pm »
Has anybody made this upgrade: placing an alnico 8" driver in the Compact Hemp?  I'd be interested in knowing how it compares to the stock hemp drives as well as the Super 6 and Super 8 Alnico monitors.  Thanks. 

Alwayswantmore

Re: Alnico upgrade for Compact Hemp
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2009, 04:34 am »
Check with Louis, but I don't think he is recommending the 8" Alnico in Compact Hemps. In my case I sold Compact Hemps and moved to Super 6 Monitors. Surprisingly the bass was better in most ways even though I was comparing a 6" to the 8" in the CH. Naturally the mids and highs are also more natural with the Alnico driver.

Unless Louis has made changes, from my understanding the CH cabinet is not big enough to do Alnico's right.

The Super 6 is an amazing speaker, well outperforming its price point. No mid-range honk, and detail, tone, imaging and soundstage are tuff to beat at any price,
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2009, 07:27 pm by Alwayswantmore »

rodge827

Re: Alnico upgrade for Compact Hemp
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2009, 04:44 pm »
Gents the Compact Hemp is too small for the 8" Alnico. Louis and I went through this last winter, so I made the decision to move up to the XRS 8 Alnico. If budget is a concern the Super 6 is an awesome performer, and true step up from the Compact Hemp.

Chris