Larger sub upgrade?

Brax

Larger sub upgrade?
« on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:48 pm »
I am looking to pickup a used Larger off the local Craigslist. This sub has the Megawoofers installed and the 1000 watt plate amp built into the back. After reading the thread on bottoming this sub, I think I should replace the PR with the new style. I did have a thought, could two 15" PRs fit on the bottom of the sub and would there be anything to gain by adding a second PR?

After reading about the VMPS subs for a year or so, I can't wait to hear one. If this works out, I would like to eventually add a second Larger to my system. I would double stack them until I get around to starting my home theater room.

John Casler

Re: Larger sub upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:28 pm »
I am looking to pickup a used Larger off the local Craigslist. This sub has the Megawoofers installed and the 1000 watt plate amp built into the back. After reading the thread on bottoming this sub, I think I should replace the PR with the new style. I did have a thought, could two 15" PRs fit on the bottom of the sub and would there be anything to gain by adding a second PR?

After reading about the VMPS subs for a year or so, I can't wait to hear one. If this works out, I would like to eventually add a second Larger to my system. I would double stack them until I get around to starting my home theater room.

B, has designed the LARGER to be one of the Highest Performing Subs ever made.

While some may argue the design, he has created it to do what he wants it to do.

The combination of drivers and the individual performances of each blend to make this without a doubt one of the best "DUAL" (music and HT) performers ever.

The active MegaWoofer drivers themselves likely cannot be bottomed.  However in the older "paper cone" PRs if they were run at a very high level for HT if an explosion occured the paper cone might ripple.

A few years ago B, began "vitrification" which is adding a glue like stiffening agent to the paper cones to pretty much reduce that rippling potential.

There are certainly subs (nowdays) that can play LOUDER, but very few can match the duality of having the finesse to produce the bass octives as accurately for music and have the Power to accomadate most HT applications.

And when you add in the fact that the damping putty allows you to tune the sub to the lowest distortions (single digit distortions) generally 1/2 of most, it is a good choice. :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:30 pm »
Oh and no the bottom area is not sufficient for an additional PR, nor is it needed.  The combination of "low excursion" active drivers (for accuracy and low distortion) and mass and slot "loading" make the single PR exactly what B, wants it to be. :wink:

Brax

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2009, 12:06 pm »
Thanks for the response John. The deal on the sub actually fell through. This sub did not have the Megawoofer option so I passed on it. I still have plans to add two of the largers to my system, it's just a question of when. The subs along with an RM40 for the center channel should complete my system, speaker wise. If Brian ever gets any B stock stuff he needs to get rid of, let me know.