them guys from Pink Floyd !!!!

2bigears

them guys from Pink Floyd !!!!
« on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:38 am »
 :D  man them guys where not from this planet.just got a disc of Division Bell,turned it loud,great sonics and great lineup of songs.all solid to the core.good stuff,music don't get no better.thought i was going to blow a Maggie. :lol: :D

Wayner

Re: them guys from Pink Floyd !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:29 am »
It is a great album with a great message. I have it on CD and LP. I prefer the LP. David Gilmore is high on the totem pole at this house. Don't forget Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Final Cut. The Final Cut still features Roger Waters, but is one of my favorite, too.

Good listening, 2big.

Wayner :)

mchuckp

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:00 pm »
I've always had a thing for the Animals album from '77. Picked up a Copy on vinyl a few months back and I'm in heaven. I think the song "Dogs" could be my favorite song of all time.

I like the post Waters era Floyd but prefer the stuff Roger was involved with.

If you've never seen it, watch Pink Floyd-Live at Pompeii. Recorded around the Meddle era and has them performing in an ancient ampitheater with no crowd. Really trippy. It flashes in scenes of them recording Dark Side of the Moon.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:35 pm »
 :D i did just get the Pompeil dvd and those guys looked soooo young .can hardly tell who's who. :lol: thks for the recommends,i will get all of those.i will try them on vinyl first.don't got none yet,just the 180g 30th Ann of  DSOTM.have not opened that album yet.saving that for a good bottle of wine. :D 

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2009, 01:26 pm »
I did a lighting project with a fellow from California on the Met Life skyscraper in New York City. This guy designed the "Floyd Droids" that Pink used in their concerts (around the Momentary Lapse of Reason time). These were weird looking things that came up out of the stage and had several DMX controlled "pointers" (I think there were 3 on each side of these towers). The pointers had fiber-optic bundles that went down to a box below the stage that had a very high output HID lamp. There was also color filters inline. The result was these things would pop up out of the floor, slowly rise to about 5 feet tall and start shooting spiderweb type "lazer" beams out at the crowd. They would also pivot around their base. Shooting hundreds of thread like beams like some gigantic hipnotising machine. Boy, there was lots of smoke.

When the Pig came out from the back of the stadium with lazers coming out of it's eyes and one big spotlight out of the belly, I lost it. It was f*cking awesome.

Philistine

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2009, 01:39 pm »
I've always had a thing for the Animals album from '77. Picked up a Copy on vinyl a few months back and I'm in heaven. I think the song "Dogs" could be my favorite song of all time.

If you've never seen it, watch Pink Floyd-Live at Pompeii. Recorded around the Meddle era and has them performing in an ancient ampitheater with no crowd. Really trippy. It flashes in scenes of them recording Dark Side of the Moon.

Animals is my favorite also, a Roger Waters concept that's underrated.

A school buddy studied architecture in London, one of the lecturers studied at Cambridge with some of the band members.  A project they had to do was design a combined recording studio and radio stations, part of the education was to visit different studios and stations in central London.  When they visited the recording studio they were met by one of the band members (I believe it was Waters), who ran through the completion of a new album they had just finished recording and discussed the concept behind the album and the individual track details.  The album was Animals.
When my friend told me the story I was insanely jealous, and remain so to this day - almost 30 years later! 

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2009, 01:39 pm »
Wayne - I never would have taken you for a drug laden hippy freak Pink Floydian. Glad to know I had company back in the day. :lol:

But now that we're all respectable adults ...

Bob

PS - living over 50 with the assistance of the occasional flashback.
PPS - You need to check out Porcupine Tree, Wayne. Start with the early stuff (heavy Floyd influence) and work your way forward.

targa02

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2009, 01:40 pm »
Have you checked out David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live from the Royal Albert Hall DVD (2007)?  Spectacular!  Well recorded and features guests David Crosby and Graham Nash, David Bowie, and Robert Wyatt. A real treat. 

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2009, 03:49 pm »
Bob,

I actually remember the whole concert as I was the driver!!!! It was at the METRODOME and really was pretty cool. I did have long hair back then, but then everyone did. Not much of a freak, just tried to look "cool".

I think that Lonewolf has the David Gilmore album "Live at Gadnsk (spelling?), and I'd like to get the box set, but not at $109 plus shipping. Although it's my birthday in a couple of weeks.................hummm.

:)

guest48077

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:03 pm »
Wayne - I never would have taken you for a drug laden hippy freak Pink Floydian. Glad to know I had company back in the day. :lol:

But now that we're all respectable adults ...

Bob

PS - living over 50 with the assistance of the occasional flashback.
PPS - You need to check out Porcupine Tree, Wayne. Start with the early stuff (heavy Floyd influence) and work your way forward.

I am currently almost 30 years of age, I have been a Floyd fan since I was about 15. I feel Floyd can touch any age. I would consider Pink Floyd My favorite Band (along with Tool). The closest I ever got to Floyd was A Roger water Solo concert which was great. I would say the best Floyd album is ANIMALS............no wait ATOM HEART MOTHER.......no WAIT...........it is so hard to decide, they are all very good.

Bob is Right about Porcupine Tree. I got into them about 2 years ago, I fellow Floyd Fan recommended them to me because he knew I was such a big Pink Floyd/ Tool/ Pro Rock Fan.

Don't forget Roger waters and David Gilmour Solo Project, they are all amazing. Rick Write solo Project are pretty good too, but defiantly have a different feel to them.

PINK FLOYD is want got me into Vinyl. When I was young I would buy the records from Flea Markets just to have them. Later when I was about 25 A bought a S&%tty Turntable just to listen to the Floyd Records............the rest is history. BTW Floyd sounds Much better Spinning on A turntable

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:04 pm »
Bob,

I actually remember the whole concert as I was the driver!!!! It was at the METRODOME and really was pretty cool. I did have long hair back then, but then everyone did. Not much of a freak, just tried to look "cool".

I think that Lonewolf has the David Gilmore album "Live at Gadnsk (spelling?), and I'd like to get the box set, but not at $109 plus shipping. Although it's my birthday in a couple of weeks.................hummm.

Live at Gdansk is an absolute must for Gilmour or Pink Floyd fans.

Yes, the vinyl box set is pricey at around $92, but you get it lightly used for around $60.

If you don't want to go the vinyl route, the 2cd/2dvd box set can be had for $40 new and about half that used.

George

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:11 pm »
 :D hey Wayner,i have that DVD-CD package and it is un-frickin'-real.buy that album if you think the island is good.109 bucks is a pitance for that album.you will LOVE-IT :D

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:22 pm »
Looks like I'm going to have to place an order.

Wayner aa

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2009, 09:02 pm »
I have some Porcupine Tree - In Absentia. Played almost not at all.

Wayner

Philistine

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2009, 09:16 pm »

If you prefer Roger, as I do, then the DVD In The Flesh - Live is a must have. 

guest48077

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2009, 09:25 pm »

Wayner

If you (or anyone for that matter) would like to get into Porcupine Tree I would start out with the album DEADWING..........Very good Album IMO. In Absentia is nothing compaired to DEADWING

doorman

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2009, 10:00 pm »
"Porcupine tree" will probably appeal to most 'Floyd-fans.
They seem to care about the recording quality too!
Don

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jul 2009, 05:40 am »
Bob,

I have it on Cd....here's a comment on the Lp's... :wink:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1080957&postcount=4

I'd say....you want the vinyl set...then grab it soon...its a limited edition Wayner.

BobM

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jul 2009, 12:33 pm »

Wayner

In Absentia and Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet are all the harder, more metal stage of Porcupine Tree. If you're looking for more of the Floydian influenced music I would definitely recommend you listen to the following:

- The Sky Moves Sideways
- Lightbulb Sun
- Stupid Dream
- Signify

... basically the old ones.

Enjoy,
Bob

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2009, 12:58 pm »
Another almost unknown band that shares Floyd-ism is the band called Camel. They have many albums, including Moonmadness, Raindances, Breathless, I Can See Your House From Here, Nude, The Single Factor, Snow Goose, Mysterious Traveler, Pressure Points (live), all on vinyl and CD and then the later stuff like Rajaz, Harbor of Tears, and A Nod and A Wink.

Roger Waters asked Andy Latimer to play lead guitar for his version of Pink Floyd for his last tour, but Andy fell ill.

They are not as forceful as Floyd, but every bit as musical.

These bands are all cornerstones of my entire collection. I also would include Yes, Moody Blues, Genesis (earlier stuff), King Crimson, Supertramp, Kansas and Alan Parsons Project. That is the stuff that was the early influences for me. I was not really into the Stones or Led Zepplin or even the Beatles.

I remember when Genesis's album Selling England by the Pound was considered a "underground band", played on Little Rock's Beaker Street radio.

Also, the first time I heard DSOTM was on an 8-track tape.

Since then I have gone in many different directions, but I really think if there isn't some hint of the cornerstone band in the ones that came later, I may not have a spot for it. I think that's why I don't get the new music, just to far away from the beginnings.

Enough rambling.

Wayner :)