HDMI Converter

geezer

HDMI Converter
« on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:32 pm »
I sometimes like to watch movies on my 19 inch laptop. I'd like to run the audio through a DAC into my two-channel system. The trouble is that the laptop's only digital output is through an HDMI output, whereas the DAC input is an RCA connector for coax cable. I think there are converter boxes that do this? Anyone out there who's dealt with this problem? Any advice?

JP78

Re: HDMI Converter
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2009, 05:54 pm »
geezer, there are several usb soundcard or usb -> coaxial audio converters that will do the trick. i'm not sure whether you need audio only or separate digital video and audio signals, but if you need just audio you can go with the converter that will output pcm to your dac.  i believe xitel makes one that is 50usd that is very common.  otherwise, any usb soundblaster external card will do the trick (though i've been told the audio quality for the soundblaster digital out may be comprimised...i have not confirmed). in either case, you have several solutions out there well under 100usd.

geezer

Re: HDMI Converter
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2009, 06:06 pm »
Thanks for the information. I play and watch the DVD on the laptop, so only the audio needs to be exported.