New amp design for single driver wide bandwidth drivers

floobydust

Okay, new circle startup... so a new amp project aimed at those single driver systems.

So, who doesn't want something bigger than 2-watts using a real directly-heated triode output stage, has very wide power bandwidth and doesn't require a second mortgage for NOS DHTs?

Okay, for the one or two left... it's a 4-watt design, runs in Class A2 mode and at reasonable plate supply voltages. I just recently completed this design and there are plans to implement a pair in mono-block format.

The output tube is a 3C24 which can be purchased NOS for under $20 each. It uses a common 4-pin base like a 45, 2A3, 300B, etc. but also requires heatsink/contacts for the plate and grid connections which are brought out thru the glass envelope via tungsten wires. A 6FQ7 (similar to a 6SN7 in a tall 9-pin package) acts as the input amplifier and dynamic follower. The circuit is straightforward and is shown below:

Overall gain results in 750mv input for 1-watt output. A simple DC filament supply for the 3C24 yields a signal-to-noise better than 80dB (referenced to 1-watt) and the power bandwidth at 4-watts is within 1dB from 50Hz to 50KHz using a Hashimoto H-20-3.5U output. Distortion is about 1.2% at 1-watt output and increases as power output increases up to 3.8% distortion at 4-watts output.

Here's a pic of the early prototype:

Regards, KM

jrebman

Re: New amp design for single driver wide bandwidth drivers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2009, 09:15 pm »
Kevin,

Thanks again for contributing your designs to the circle.  I myself would surely build one except that I am committed on two other projects -- my Musical Machine amp, and a version of Gordon Rankin's Bugle 45 for now.  I anticipate that the Carina and Bugle will end up with the Alerions, and the MM with the Horns, but one never really knows.

One thing if for sure, you cannot have too many amps :D.

-- Jim