Powering down an Offramp

kaka

Powering down an Offramp
« on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:42 am »
The Off-ramp instructions say "Always unplug the USB cable before powering down the Off-ramp".
A few questions :

- is sensible to power the PC down first
- should the USB be disconnected at the Off-Ramp end, or doesn't it matter ?

Thanks

Edit : I should have said that removing a USB out of anything that is running fills me with trepidation, so I would like to be sure I have the recipe exactly right
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2009, 10:47 am by kaka »

audioengr

Re: Powering down an Offramp
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2009, 05:57 pm »
The Off-ramp instructions say "Always unplug the USB cable before powering down the Off-ramp".
A few questions :

Thanks

Edit : I should have said that removing a USB out of anything that is running fills me with trepidation, so I would like to be sure I have the recipe exactly right

The issue here is that the software applications dont like to see the Off-Ramp powered down unexpectedly.  If you unplug the USB cable, this is okay.  The applications can handle this.  Powering down while the USB cable is connected can send some apps out to lunch.

Steve N.

indirstr8s

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2009, 10:51 pm »
A few questions :

Thanks

The issue here is that the software applications dont like to see the Off-Ramp powered down unexpectedly.  If you unplug the USB cable, this is okay.  The applications can handle this.  Powering down while the USB cable is connected can send some apps out to lunch.

Steve N.

How about, powering up the off ramp, while the USB cable is connected?
Dinner time ?   :D

kaka

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2009, 12:05 am »

Steve N.

Thanks Steve - so can I take it that if the PC was powered down there is no issue in powering the Offramp down with the USB in place

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2009, 01:38 am »
A few questions :

Thanks

Steve N.

How about, powering up the off ramp, while the USB cable is connected?
Dinner time ?   :D

It can work, but dont rely on it.  Better to unplug the USB cable first.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2009, 01:41 am »

Steve N.

Thanks Steve - so can I take it that if the PC was powered down there is no issue in powering the Offramp down with the USB in place

That's fine.  Its usually when the software is playing that this is an issue.  If the player is stopped, then you can generally power-down the Off-Ramp and power it back on with the USB cable connected.  Amarra has heartburn with even unplugging the USB cable though.  You have to stop Amarra and re-plug the USB cable and the restart it.  Even after you do this, Amarra can cause a burp when it connects.  I usually select another input on my DAC until Amarra has initialized and is ready to play.

Another thing to be aware of is that some S/W players will burp through some DACs when the Off-Ramp is powered-on with the USB cable attached.  So, to prevent loud pops that may damage tweeters, I would recommend powering on the Off-Ramp first and then connect the USB cable.  This depends on the player and the DAC.  Some are okay with it.

Steve N.