XLR Sub hook up

danman

XLR Sub hook up
« on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:25 am »
My sub has XLR inputs and outputs and I was wondering if someone could tell me how you would use this with a BP-20? Is it worth it? Any difference in sound quality? How do you hook it up?

Thanks

drummermitchell

Re: XLR Sub hook up
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:32 am »
hi Danman,I ran a pair of XLR Ycables from my 26 R+L out, to my 2 amps XLR ins +to the sub XLR inputs.
Works great,for stereo.Now I need another for the .1 on my prepro(SP3 :lol:).
I did use rcas before Ys also.Might be the Bryston cabling but they do seem to have a bit more life than my Cardas GRCs.The XLRS do connect better that's for sure.I like the Bryston cabling and the price is right.

danman

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:43 am »
So "Y" cables are a must I suppose?

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:54 am »
I do believe you need a signal to your sub and amp.
I did try before using the highpass in the sub.
I went pre to sub out of highpass on sub to amp(It SUCKED)compressed,
boinky sounding.I talked to a guy (chinese as a matter of fact)who owns  a
audio store south edmonton,He suggested the Ys from the pre R+L split to the amps+subs,I tried it and SCARED THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME,THAT"S IT excellent,it's superb.
I'm sure there are other ways but this was too good.I'm sure some other folk will jump in with other suggestions :thumb:..

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:02 am »
There is speaker level method also( I forget the connection method) you would need more speaker wire as I believe you go from your amps to speaker level input on sub and then to speakers,I'd DUBL check that though.

danman

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:06 am »
Thanks but I am interested in the XLR method and I like your idea of the y cables.

I will wait for maybe James to respond as I believe that he enjoys this method if I remember reading this somewhere a while back.

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:10 am »
James will definately fix you up.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2009, 09:37 am »
Hi danman,

Yes we can make you up some XLR 'Y' cables.
Remember this setup does not allow the roll-off of the main speakers.  The sub is just augmenting the mains.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2009, 01:56 pm »
James,It sounds like there is( PERHAPS )a better way to connect a sub,
I assume Danman as myself are using passive speakers,I want to know please.
I did try the speaker level(didn't sound right to me :scratch:),of course I didn't
experiment to much with it.
Y jacking sure brought out a solid foundation on the bottom.
ENQUIRING MINDS WOULD LIKE TO KNOW

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:47 pm »
HI Don,

There is not really a 'better' way to connect a sub.  It really depends on the application.

Generally though if the Main Speakers do not go very low then going through the Sub and its built in crossover can help because the small main speakers can be rolled off so they do not have to reproduce the low bass.

If the Mains are capable of good low frequency response then generally you just run the sub in parallel with the Mains and augment the very low bass with the sub.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2009, 02:48 pm »
Thanks(organized confusion)must be mah grade 7.

danman

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2009, 05:29 pm »
Thanks James. I am using RCA from the pre-amp now and was wondering if it is worth it or not to use XLR? I am about 3 feet away

danman

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2009, 07:41 pm »
I was also wondering why I have 2 in XL's and 2 outs? In this case do I need a Y XLR or just output to the pre-amp?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2009, 10:22 pm »
I was also wondering why I have 2 in XL's and 2 outs? In this case do I need a Y XLR or just output to the pre-amp?

Hi danman,

On the BP20 you have 2- pairs of XLR 'Ins' and 1 Pair of XLR 'Out' plus 2-Pairs of RCA 'Out'.

To hook upthe sub as Don suggested you would need a 'Y' XLR on the single XLR 'Out' assuming your sub only has a pair of XLR 'Ins' and no RCA 'Ins'.

james

danman

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2009, 11:04 pm »

This is how the sub is built. You can see that there is a pair of input XLR's and output XLR's.

I'm sorry for not explaining better. I meant that the sub itself has the pair not the pre-amp.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2009, 11:18 pm »
Ok it looks like it has a pair of RCA ins - just use those.
That way you can use a standard setof RCA cables and you do not need the 'Y' cable.

james

PS -by the way did you see my post to you and oldguy under audio/video that must be heard?

danman

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2009, 11:20 pm »
That is what I am using but how would I use the XLR's that are also available? Sorry for being persistent here but I am wondering about the benefits.

danman

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2009, 11:21 pm »
I will go see your post....thanks.