Can I use a netbook to control my audio PC running XP Pro?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I have a large (Lian Case) quiet PC that I had built to use as Audio PC.  I also went away from NAS and installed a 2 TB RAID(5) in the PC.  I have the PC close to the DAC to run USB cable out.  I have been using a long cable to hook up a monitor at my sitting position with wireless mouse/keyboard to control the PC.  This is cumbersome as the monitor is 18". 

The question is can I get a netbook like this ASUS unit and use it as a client to run the music "server"?  Wouldn't this in fact be a fancy "remote" for foobar?

mgalusha

Re: Can I use a netbook to control my audio PC running XP Pro?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2009, 07:19 pm »
Rim, that should work just fine. You'll need to enable Remote Desktop on the audio PC, which is easy to do. Right click My Computer (assuming XP), select properties and then the Remote tab. Check the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" box. That will usually do it.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2009, 07:31 pm »
Thanks Mike.  This would be good.  I am thinking I can even move the PC to the next room and just run the USB cable to the PC with a hub.  Then it would be a silent PC as opposed to a quiet PC.   :wink:  Since I am reclocking it with Steve's Pace Car, I am thinking long USB cable/hub shouldn't matter. 

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:25 pm »
Silent is good. It's my prime requirement for a music player and why I'm (slowly) messing with the ioBox. No fan, no spinning disk and no noise.