Do you leave youe tube gear lit?

BobM

Re: Do you leave youe tube gear lit?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2009, 07:08 pm »
I sat down for a quick listen last night before going to bed, to chill out. I only had about 30-40 minutes. The system was cold to begin.

So it sounded OK for the first 20-30 minutes, but just when I was about to turn it off and go to bed it really opened up and started to bloom. Was that the tube preamp warmed up? Was it the CD player? Was it the amp?

Probably all 3, and probably would have been even better after an hour or so. So there seems to be a benefit (in my system at least) to having some things sitting in stand-by mode if you are going to listen frequently and not wait a week between sessions buring electricity unnecessarily.

Bob

SET Man

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2009, 11:56 pm »
Hey!

No, I don't leave my tubed pre and amps on 24/7 :D

But once I left my amp on 24hrs straight a day after I finished assembled them to see how reliable they are. Well, I thought if they are going to burn than they better burn now than later down the road. They passed without any problem and I'm still using them 9.5 years later. :D

But at the current price of $910 per matched pair of tube for my SET amp I don't think I would leave them on 24/7.  :icon_lol:

Beside I find that my amps sound fine after 30mins of warming up time. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:     

decal

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2009, 12:38 am »
Hell no, not with the cost of good KT-88's being so high.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2009, 03:13 am »
So it sounded OK for the first 20-30 minutes, but just when I was about to turn it off and go to bed it really opened up and started to bloom. Was that the tube preamp warmed up? Was it the CD player? Was it the amp?

Probably all 3, and probably would have been even better after an hour or so.

Bob

I'd go for all three, as well, Bob.

I leave my CDP on all the time as it takes over 30 minutes to sound right from the cold.  It's cheap to keep it on...as opposed to preamps and amps.

Tubes much the same time time needed...solid state (I assume that's what your amp is?) a little less time needed (maybe, 15 minutes :scratch:).

They all benefit from a little warm-up time, tho.

John