Von Schweikert Audio VR-4SR MK3 Press Release

VSA_JOE

Von Schweikert Audio VR-4SR MK3 Press Release
« on: 7 Jul 2009, 11:27 pm »
Hello everybody, just dropping in to share this press release with you guys, Albert has done it again with his VR-4SR, this time utilizing a brand new front tweeter. That tweeter sure gave Albert a lot of trouble( trust me, I've never seen a driver give Albert so much grief ), but the results are amazing!

PRESS RELEASE

New Model
VR-4 SR MK 3 SIGNATURE

Murrieta, California.  June 2009 . Speaker manufacturer Von Schweikert Audio is proud to announce that their core model, the VR-4 SR, has been upgraded to the next level of performance.  Many of our customers desire the Award-winning VR-5 Anniversary ($28,000/pr), which has been named one of the best sounding speakers under $100,000/pr by a leading reviewer.  However, that price point is unobtainable by many customers who require a more affordable product.

Our goal was to find an engineering solution to obtain as much of the VR-5's magic in the VR-4 platform, and we have done it!  We accomplished this feat by reengineering all of the transducers and crossovers to more closely approach the sound and performance of the VR-5 Anniversary, including the incorporation of our Pat.Pend. Passive Servo crossover circuit.  If you haven't read the Technical Paper on this new circuit, we can say that it is a novel method to start and stop all of the drive units with greater coherence than ever before.  In other words, the new speaker design sounds more like a one way speaker than any other multi-way system on the market, regardless of price.

Although the new VR-4 SR Mk3 Signature resembles the older version cosmetically, the internal construction of the cabinet has been significantly upgraded, with an additional bracing and cabinet wall damping added.  This cabinet damping was necessary due to the increased transparency of the new drive units, consisting of an all-new midrange and tweeter with far greater clarity. 
Audax of France has improved the midrange cone with an additional surface layer of Nextel damping material, greatly reducing the cone distortion found in all moving coil drivers.  In addition, we have upgraded the original Dual Ring Tweeter made in Denmark to their new Wide Surround version using a ring of rare earth Neodymium magnets, greatly reducing the motor distortion.  The sum total of these upgrades is a tremendous leap in realism and reduction of speaker sound.

If you crave the sound of live music and enjoy a huge soundstage combined with an exciting dynamic range, then you'll love the sound of the new VR-4 SR Mk3 Signature speaker system!  Available in African Hazelwood for $14,000/pair and Steinway Hi-gloss Piano black at $16,000/pair.  Ready for shipment immediately, please call for details.

« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2009, 11:57 pm by VSA_JOE »

srb

Re: Von Schweikert Audio VR-4SR MK3 Press Release
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2009, 11:40 pm »
Unfortunately there is only a handful of people in this neck of the woods that have $14,000 to $16,000 to spend on speakers.

I'm out!

Steve

varsharun

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2009, 12:56 am »
Joe,

When will detailed specs on this model be released? I wonder how this model will compare to the Unifield 3.

Thanks,
Arun

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:34 am »
Dear Arun,

The musical result of the Unifield III and the VR 4 SR MK III will be very close by now.
The Unifield III is developed to act in rather small rooms and is very detailed. When you sit close to the speakers it feels you are part of the music.
The VR 4 SR mk III can handle larger rooms since the bassmodul is larger.
The listenposition in a larger room gives you the feeling you are in the concerthall due to the great realism of the VR 4 SR MK III.

To feel the difference visit your VSA dealer.

Regards,

Cor

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:50 am »
Dear Joe,

Thanks for posting the VR 4 SR mk III press release.

When I was at High End 2009 in Munich I had the opertunity to see the new Scanspeak Neodymium tweeter. Looks very nice and sounds spectacular.
The musical presentation of VSA in Munich in this huge hall was very natural.
People from all over the hall were surprised by the music from just two speakers thinking there was someone singing for real.

I can imagine Albert is very entousiast to improve the VR 4 SR mk III with still more realism.

Regards,

Cor

panomaniac

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2009, 01:57 pm »
Cool!  I suppose it will be at RMAF in October?  I'll be sure to stop by.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2009, 02:43 pm »
Unfortunately there is only a handful of people in this neck of the woods that have $14,000 to $16,000 to spend on speakers.

I'm out!

Steve

It all depends on what woods one lives in. :wink:  You are right, that's certainly not chump change but I'd put them up against anything else in that price range.

varsharun

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2009, 09:01 pm »
Dear Arun,

The musical result of the Unifield III and the VR 4 SR MK III will be very close by now.
The Unifield III is developed to act in rather small rooms and is very detailed. When you sit close to the speakers it feels you are part of the music.
The listenposition in a larger room gives you the feeling you are in the concerthall due to the great realism of the VR 4 SR MK III.

Regards,

Cor

Hi Cor,

Completely agree about the Unifield 3. I've had them for close to a year now and they are amazing speakers. Just trying to explore options if the upgrade bug (aka the Gavin  :icon_lol: ) bites me!

-Arun

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2009, 09:37 pm »
Hi Arun,

How to upgrade the Unifield III? :)

Just move to a larger room (house) and try the VR 4 SR mk III or VR 5 SE anniversary.
Finaly you will discover you like the VR 9 SE. :roll:

Regards,

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2009, 10:42 pm »
Dear Arun,

Regards,

Cor

Hi Cor,

Completely agree about the Unifield 3. I've had them for close to a year now and they are amazing speakers. Just trying to explore options if the upgrade bug (aka the Gavin  :icon_lol: ) bites me!

-Arun

Great...now I have a bug named after me. :duh:

srb

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2009, 01:23 am »

I'm out!

Steve

Never mind what I previously said.  I thought that was rarified air.  I now see there is a thread in the circle with owners of the VR9SE's.

I gotta move on up to the Eastside.

ahanson3

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2009, 02:49 pm »
Joe or other circle members,

Back in February, Albert emailed me saying he'd made a revision to the crossover in the VR-4 SR MKII using some of the ideas implemented in the VR5 Anniverary.  Namely, the servo control.  He said that the version of the VR-4 SR MKII you had recently shipped me was really the newer version.  He said it would be called the VR-4 SR MK3. He said you would ship the new badges updating the version when they became available.  I thought Albert also had a thread on this forum discussing this change.  After reading the above press release I am confused.  Did Albert change his mind and come out with a totally new VR-4 SR MK3 Signature speaker?  Is there a MK3 and a MK3 Signature version?  Just trying to clarify what I have.   Whichever, they sound terrific.

Alan Hanson
Hermantown, MN
ahanson3616@msn.com

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2009, 04:49 pm »
Dear Arun,

Regards,

Cor

Hi Cor,

-Arun

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arun got you GOOOOOOOOOD Gavin Bug!

Ok gonna make that order now to see what all the hubbub is about!

foghorn

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2009, 04:56 pm »
I would like to echo Alan's comments and ask for clarificiation from the VSA Team.

In November of 2008, I purchased a pair of VR4 SR II's.  I later received an e-mail from Albert (in response to a question from me) - that my new speakers were actually the Mark III version, with all the upgrades, but that the badges were not changed.

I am also confused.  Is there a Mark III and a Mark III Signature?  Are my speakers really the Mark III?  Or has Albert created something new in the meantime?

Thanks,

Matt

JackD201

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2009, 05:00 pm »

Never mind what I previously said.  I thought that was rarified air.  I now see there is a thread in the circle with owners of the VR9SE's.

I gotta move on up to the Eastside.

I may have 9s but I now live happily on instant noodles and tap water.   :thumb:

Matt and Alan,

By the looks of it you guys have a "tweener". The new iteration of the G.A.I.N circuit but not the new mid and tweeter. If you guys got the "Mk2.5s" at the Mk2 price you guys are still ahead big time.

Jack D.

McTwins

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jul 2009, 06:36 pm »
Pictures please,  :drool:

JackD201

« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2009, 06:06 pm »
Bye Bye Vifa hello Scanspeak. Yeah, PICS PLEASE!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2009, 12:45 am »
Seems to me that with servo control, shakti stone dampening, AND the revelator tweeters, the difference between the MKIII and the VR5 Anniversary is becoming very small. :scratch:
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2009, 01:58 am by es347 »

JackD201

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2009, 08:13 am »
I'll let you know how small or large that gap is when the Mk3s get here and have them burned and dialed in. This new tweeter which is a cross between a ring radiator and a revelator dome is still no R2904-7000-00 and the SEAS excel aluminum woofers still aren't as quick as the magnesiums whose moving mass is almost 35% less although they go a bit lower. I'm guessing the gap will still be very noticeable. I think however that the one named Sasha indeed has something to worry about from a speaker that sells for 10 Gs less.  :roll:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:41 pm »
Here's hoping the difference justifies the additional $10K.  Sasha has nothing to worry about since no one knows much about VSA speakers.  Pity.