External clock with Transporter

Frank S.

External clock with Transporter
« on: 4 Jul 2009, 07:49 pm »
Just curious- anyone using an external clock with their Transporter? Any improvements?
What would be the difference between something like the Empirical Audio Pace Car 2 and the Antelope OCX or Apogee Big Ben?

My dac is the Theta Gen VIII Series 2 which has Jitter Jail to buffer the signal and reduce jitter. Is there any benefit than in using a device to further reduce jitter from the source like the Transporter which arguably already has a pretty good digital output and low jitter??

firedog

Re: External clock with Transporter
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2009, 10:37 am »
The pace-car 2 will give you even lower jitter, as the pace-car becomes the master clock and prevents jitter resulting from clock-timing "mistakes" between the Transporter and your DAC, and it buffers the signal to make sure everything works. In short, your DAC will get a more accurate signal.

You will be able to hear a difference if your system is a high resolution one (I assume it is).

silverlight

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2009, 11:53 am »
I can also confirm that in my system using a PaceCar2 meaningfully enhanced the Transporter's SQ (and I was A/B'ing the transporter SPDIF vs TOSlink+PaceCar vs Analog output).
As to the other aspect of your question, Steve can answer it better than I can, but a device like the Antelope serves just as a master clock for one or more digital devices (often in a studio setting), with what is probably a better clock than is in any one of those devices (but the key really is sync'ing them to the same clock).  The PaceCar has a very high quality Superclock4 (in my case), but the difference is that it takes in the digital audio signal and reclocks it before sending it on to the DAC. (the Antelope is only a clock source and does not reclock or process the audio signal in any way)

Frank S.

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2009, 02:21 pm »
I thought I would start "small" and gave the Black Lion Audio Micro Clock Mk 2 a try. It lists for only $475 but supposedly competes with the more expensive master word clocks out there.

I'm extremely happy with the results using this with my Transporter. I've linked it using the new Stereovox XV Ultra 75 Ohm BNC cable.

http://blacklionaudio.com/Products/Black+Lion+Audio+Micro+Clock+mk2
http://www.thesignalcollection.com/profiles/blogs/xvultra-the-time-has-come

owenmd

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2009, 03:45 pm »
Hello Frank,

Looking at your gallery, it appears you are talking about a Modwright Transporter?

Could you please try and briefly describe the improvements you are hearing with the external Black Lion clock?  What about comparative value for money.... bearing in mind this kind of outlay will get you a very nice power cord or similar upgrade to the system.... just trying to get a contextual feel for this...?

All the best and thanks.

Mark

Frank S.

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2009, 07:59 pm »
Hi Mark- I used to own a Modwright Transporter. I'm currently using a stock Transporter using the AES/EBU digital output to feed my Theta Gen VIII Series 2 DAC.  I use a Synergistic Research Tesla D3 AES/EBU cable from the Transporter to the Theta.

With the addition of the Black Lion Audio Micro Clock Mk2 my system has definitely become more "analog" and natural sounding. A slight digital edge has been removed, especially from vocals, with no loss of detail or openness. Imaging is also rock solid and improved within the sound stage. 

I'm kind of settled with my system, especially the Transporter and Theta DAC (might want to try some Kaplan power cords at some point) so for me it's a no brainer. Relatively cheap. Nice build quality. Compact size. Worked immediately with no issues. Improved the sound of my system across the board and made it more enjoyable for me. YMMV.

Frank S.

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2009, 08:19 pm »
Mark- updated my gallery so you can see the latest configuration.

owenmd

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2009, 02:38 am »
Hi Frank.... thanks very much.... very nice system...!

Mark

studley

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2009, 09:03 pm »
Rather than use an external clock has anyone had the internal clock replaced with a super-clock such as a Tent labs?