Just installed a pair of Realtraps RFZ panels :-)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Just installed a pair of Realtraps RFZ panels :-)
« on: 4 Jul 2009, 06:35 pm »
Well, I just finished installing a pair of RFZ panels at the side reflection points and moving a pair of Micro-Traps in front of each window behind the speakers (they were previously at the first side reflection points).

Playing some of my usual test tracks from Ben Harper, Wynton Marsalis, Natalie Merchant, Wilco, Peggy Lee, and Steely Dan, there was clearly an improvement in soundstage depth and width.  There is also increased clarity and detail at the macro and micro levels.

As usual, I am very happy with not only the audible results, but also with the fit and finish of the Realtraps products.

Great job Ethan!!   :thumb:

Here are a few pics:

Front of the room from behind my new Ekornes Jazz listening chair:

Right side of the room with the RFZ panel installed:

Left side of the room with the RFZ panel installed:

Left side the room showing the RFZ panel, Mini-Trap, and Tri-Corner Trap:

Right side the room showing the RFZ panel, Mini-Trap, and Tri-Corner Trap:

George

biz97

Re: Just installed a pair of Realtraps RFZ panels :-)
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2009, 07:40 pm »
Nice!  That room looks excellent and I'm sure everything sounds great!  :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2009, 10:43 pm »
Ethan makes a fine product.  It's one of the few that I'll recommend.  There is so much schlock and general 'stuff' that is being made and marketed that really has nothing behind it, much less somebody that understands proper room design out there.

Ethan is a class act that understands the real world.  Even if we disagree sometimes on specifics, I know his head and heart are in the right place and his products are sound.

Bryan

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2009, 11:01 pm »
George:

Terrific looking room.  Ordinarily, people don't associate room treatments with improving a room's appearance, but your room looks great.  Since I have learned more about room treatments and their effect on music, an audio room without treatments just looks wrong.  Your room just looks right.  With your room, saying it sounds "better than it looks" takes on a completely different meaning.  However, with your audio acumen and your gear and room treatments, as good as it looks, I bet it sounds even better.  Can't wait to hear your system.  Now I wish that I had covered my panels in black fabric.  :duh:  At the time, purple seemed like a good color.   :lol:

BTW, the Vandy 5A and the panels complement each other very well, and the 5A take on a new look in your room.  Very nice aesthetic combination.  Maybe a new standard for building a system, select your speakers before your amplification and your room treatments (or get black panels because they go with everything).  :D

Not touching that ceiling, huh?   :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2009, 11:34 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Black does indeed go with pretty much everything, so I am sticking with it.

The first reflection points on the ceiling are next up and should hopefully be done in the next few weeks.

Bryan, yet again, you show what a classy individual you are.  While I know you and Ethan don't see eye to eye on everything, I do trust and listen to both of you when it comes to acoustics.  BTW, I think you "owe" me a conversation...   :wink:

George

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2009, 11:45 pm »
I was painting my entryway this morning with "music-to-paint-by" playing. My music room opens to the entryway through a large opening.  While standing on the ladder with my head in the far corner/ceiling I was surprised by just how much "stuff" goes on up there so far away from the speakers.  Very tubby sounding.  Definitely not the sweet seat.  :lol:

Now I have more appreciation for the value of tri-corner traps.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2009, 12:45 am »
I know George.  Sorry - been a long week and family obligations are taking over my time lately.  I'll get in touch with you so we can talk.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2009, 01:40 am »
Excellent George. You've got a very nice looking room there, very tasteful.
I have no doubt the sound quality improved. It really is an eyeopening experience to say the least.

Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2009, 03:57 am »
Good stuff George.  You're catching up to me with Realtraps inventory installed.  :)

You won't be disappointed with treating the ceiling.  While I have RFZ's on the sides and on the sloping portions of my wall/ceiling area, i ended up with three MiniTrap (HF versions) on the ceiling, thereby adding to the bass trapping too.  Anyway, the treatment of the ceiling was the final piece (at least for now) and it solidified the soundstage and imaging even further!  Highly recommended.  No pun intended.   :D

rydenfan

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2009, 01:29 pm »
George, I will just echo all of the comments that have already been said. Looks great and I am confident it sounds even better  :thumb: hopefully I will know for myself soon.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2009, 05:10 pm »
I just finished installing a pair of RFZ panels at the side reflection points

Excellent, thanks very much George. And thanks to Bryan too. :thumb:

--Ethan

KeithR

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2009, 03:08 pm »
any diffusion for the ceiling coming George?

i have a very difficult room (squarish, large, and tough placement as i can't really change the location of sectional/plasma), so have hired Rives for a L1 consultation.  you can see my room thread on AVS under the high end forum.  i will update it as i progress through the room treatment stages.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2009, 03:50 pm »
any diffusion for the ceiling coming George?

i have a very difficult room (squarish, large, and tough placement as i can't really change the location of sectional/plasma), so have hired Rives for a L1 consultation.  you can see my room thread on AVS under the high end forum.  i will update it as i progress through the room treatment stages.

I was leaning towards just using a pair of RFZ panels on the ceiling, what is the benefit to diffusion over absorption at the ceiling 1st reflection points?

I use diffusion behind my listening position (as can be seen in this older picture below - I have since added a second MiniTrap for the floor/wall boundary).

I'll check out your thread and see what you are up to.

George

KeithR

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2009, 07:50 pm »
yes, i'm sure i will be looking at the Real Traps diffusers (although dark wood doesn't match my decor as you will see, so may need to find another options) once Rives is done.

on the ceiling, i know Rives is very much fond of diffusion on the ceiling---more than likely to keep the room lively and standing waves diffused toward the back of the room (where more diffusion is).  i've read arguments for both absorption and diffusion on the ceiling, but seems most prefer diffusion.

KeithR

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jul 2009, 09:29 pm »
fwiw George, pretty much every super high end room i've seen has diffusion on the ceiling.  check out performance audio rooms website for yet another diffusion person for that part of the equation.  (and talk about magnificent looking rooms)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jul 2009, 09:59 pm »
fwiw George, pretty much every super high end room i've seen has diffusion on the ceiling.  check out performance audio rooms website for yet another diffusion person for that part of the equation.  (and talk about magnificent looking rooms)

What is the url for the site?

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jul 2009, 10:09 pm »
i would agree that if the ceilings are high (more than 10 ft) then diffusion is likely better.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 7 Jul 2009, 10:11 pm »
i would agree that if the ceilings are high (more than 10 ft) then diffusion is likely better.

No 10' ceilings in that room.   :(

George

KeithR

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jul 2009, 10:58 pm »

What is the url for the site?

www.performanceacousticslabs.com

some amazing rooms!

George

Frank S.

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jul 2009, 07:13 pm »
Your missing the final piece of Real Traps gear to complete the room George.  :wink:

http://www.realtraps.com/p_cover.htm