Bryston/PMC in Montreal

Levi

Bryston/PMC in Montreal
« on: 3 Jul 2009, 03:40 pm »
Hi All,

I am going from New York to Montreal, Q.C. for July 4th Holiday.  Any good places to hear Bryston gears and hangout?

--Levi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston/PMC in Montreal
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2009, 05:06 pm »
Son Ideal
1409 Bishop Street
Montreal, PQ H3G 2E4
Ph: 514-842-9596
Fax: 514-842-9597

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2009, 04:10 am »
Thanks James.  Me made it in Quebec despite the stormy weather.  :thumb:

Our Hotel is at Rue Sherbrooke Oues a couple of blocks from Son Ideal :thumb:

--Levi

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2009, 04:16 am »
Levi...

Good timing...Montreal Jazz fest...and a great town... :wink:

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/default-en.aspx

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2009, 04:28 am »
Festival International De JAZZ De Mntreal!   That is a couple of blocks also!  :thumb:

I missed MMADELEINE PEYROUX which is Today  :evil:  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2009, 11:10 am »
Thanks James.  Me made it in Quebec despite the stormy weather.  :thumb:

Our Hotel is at Rue Sherbrooke Oues a couple of blocks from Son Ideal :thumb:

--Levi

Great -let me know how you make out - I think they have the 28B's set up with the Martin Logan CLX's.

james

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2009, 12:19 pm »
Let see if I can get my wife to go to Hard Rock Cafe.  Then walk a block to Ideal Son today. :lol:

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2009, 04:49 am »
I was able to visit Son Ideal today.  I met Claude and Rob very nice fellas.  :thumb:

The B&W 901D were connected to the 28Bs using Rogue Athena tube preamp.  I listened to Dave Brubeck "take five" with my son and loved the imaging.  I asked Claude if he will ship gears to US, he offered to drive it to New York. 8)  :thumb:

That's all for now, we have a long drive tomorrow. :)

Thanks again.  :thumb:

--Levi

danman

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:06 pm »
Sounds like something Claude would do! he is a great guy.

Did he sell the Martin Logan CLX?

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:29 pm »
The Martin Logan CLX were on the side walls.  I am not sure if they were sold or not.

I took some pictures. Stay tuned!

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2009, 01:21 pm »
As promised, here are some of the pictures I took.

Fido2

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2009, 04:45 pm »
Sweet pics Levi! Are those the B&W 802D's in that pic? You say they were being powered by the 28B SST's? Well...how'd they sound?  The 802D's all out in the middle of the room like that probably lacked some bass, but I assure you if the placement were optimized and the speakers set back closer to the wall they would be stunning in the bass dept. I bet the imaging and mids/treble were awesome?

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2009, 04:59 pm »
Thanks for the picture complement.

They are the B&W802D powered by the 28B and Roque tube preamp.  Low volume levels, they sounded full-range!  Audiophile adjectives to discribe them as: Immediate, delicate, precise, coherent, sweet and powerfull :o :thumb:  I cannot find any faults or weekness on the setup above.

It reminds me of a V8 or perhaps a V12s' smoothness and low-end torque.  Much better than the 7B :D.  When you rump on it, it is smooth and unrelentless.  Imaging is excellent.  It is a thoroughbred pedigree.  :thumb:

Cheers,
--Levi

Frisco

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2009, 05:21 pm »
+1 on the nice pics Levi.....

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2009, 07:05 pm »
Thanks for the picture complement.

They are the B&W802D powered by the 28B and Roque tube preamp.  Low volume levels, they sounded full-range!  Audiophile adjectives to discribe them as: Immediate, delicate, precise, coherent, sweet and powerfull :o :thumb:  I cannot find any faults or weekness on the setup above.

It reminds me of a V8 or perhaps a V12s' smoothness and low-end torque.  Much better than the 7B :D.  When you rump on it, it is smooth and unrelentless.  Imaging is excellent.  It is a thoroughbred pedigree.  :thumb:

Cheers,
--Levi

Oh my.... I did not even notice the 28Bs in the picture until I read Levi's write-up :duh: I guess there is something to be said for an aluminium finish on audio components aa

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2009, 07:45 pm »
Thanks guys for the complement.

The 28B simply disappears in the room.  They look great in black!  :thumb:

Laundrew

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2009, 07:59 pm »
Thanks guys for the complement.

The 28B simply disappears in the room.  They look great in black!  :thumb:

Yes, they do look great in black. But they look simply awesome in aluminium :thankyou:  :D

Levi

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:50 pm »
I may agree with you but I haven't seen a 28b in silver. That aluminium finish will be awesome if all the gears are the same color.  If look at the picture with mix match components and imagine if they are all black like the Bryston or all silver like Rogue.

Laundrew

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jul 2009, 11:45 pm »
I may agree with you but I haven't seen a 28b in silver. That aluminium finish will be awesome if all the gears are the same color.  If look at the picture with mix match components and imagine if they are all black like the Bryston or all silver like Rogue.

Hi Levi,

Actually I think that both black and aluminium finishes are truly awesome. :thumb:

For me, my room will be more of a Steampunk/Gothic "motif." I have a lot of early tube equipment, old industrial and homemade robots with other neat "junk" that I must all bring together to get the look I want. My stereo stand is a very old milling machine that I am converting to steampunk - I will be the only guy on the block with a stereo stand that is well over 400 kilos. My Bryston power amplifiers will be in the aluminium finish (19 inch with handles) - I think it gives them an industrial look. Something about a pair of 95 lbs amps that screams "here I am - look at me," - and this is before you turn the beasties on :D

Great pictures Levi :D

TC

Levi

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jul 2009, 11:50 pm »
Well said.  I see where you are coming from and I cannot argue on that. :thumb: