36 (85.7%)
19 inch smooth
6 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Which do you prefer?

Mad Mr H

Re: Which do you prefer?
« Reply #40 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:15 am »
The "PRO" is the "SST" non C series that I talk about.

It is correct that the PRO only comes in 19 inch wide.

BUT you could have the 17 inch SST 3 piece front and mix black / silver......

I believe the SSTC and SST have the same chassis - I dont know about the SST2 series  :cry:

werd

« Reply #41 on: 6 Jul 2009, 04:42 pm »
Thanx Mad H

Mad Mr H

« Reply #42 on: 6 Jul 2009, 05:40 pm »
Which one of us is gonna get the multi colour (color!) fronts first  :icon_twisted:

werd

« Reply #43 on: 6 Jul 2009, 06:06 pm »
Which one of us is gonna get the multi colour (color!) fronts first  :icon_twisted:

I think they would look spectacular and i wish Bryston would make such stuff available as an option. I would like diagonally halved on my 4bSQ. But i would  want to make sure that finish is identical to what the Bryston puts out on both black and silver if it was a aftermarket mod.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #44 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:33 pm »
James,

Does Bryston machine these parts "in house?"

Thanks...

Hi Andy,

The faceplate prices differ but generally preamps are about $100 , the knobs another $100 and small power amps $200, the large poweramps $300 and a set of handles $100.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #45 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:41 pm »
James,

Does Bryston machine these parts "in house?"

Thanks...

Hi Andy,

The faceplate prices differ but generally preamps are about $100 , the knobs another $100 and small power amps $200, the large poweramps $300 and a set of handles $100.

james

No - we get them from our metal supplier.

james

werd

« Reply #46 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:44 pm »
Hi james

So do the faceplates come unfinished to you or do they do the black or silver finish?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:45 pm »
Hi james

So do the faceplates come unfinished to you or do they do the black or silver finish?

We order them in Black or Silver as they are anodized accordingly.

james

werd

« Reply #48 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:48 pm »
Hi James

thats interesting, so do you think you could ask them to anodize the same faceplate in two different finishes. Have you ever done this before on a faceplate? Maybe its something you dont want to get into?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:50 pm »
Hi James

thats interesting, so do you think you could ask them to anodize the same faceplate in two different finishes. Have you ever done this before on a faceplate? Maybe its something you dont want to get into?

You can only anodize in one colour.

james

werd

« Reply #50 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:02 pm »
James

So do mods on faceplates void warranties?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:14 pm »
James

So do mods on faceplates void warranties?

Not unless the 'mod' negatively affects a component which in turn causes that component to fail.

james

Levi

« Reply #52 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:20 pm »
Silver is out. Black is in again. :)

werd

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:25 pm »
Silver is really nice too, i guess it really depends on how it looks against everything else and personal taste. I think with the handles on silver looks more militant, which is nice.

b5pt9

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:34 pm »
I'd like to see one totally polished aluminum or maybe just polished aluminum handles

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #55 on: 6 Jul 2009, 11:02 pm »
Silver is really nice too, i guess it really depends on how it looks against everything else and personal taste. I think with the handles on silver looks more militant, which is nice.

I prefer black components for home theatre and aluminium finish for strictly 2 channel use.  I like to keep my equipment nice and clean, but it seems you can really notice black components that are not properly cleaned - you see a lot of the "white smudgy fingerprints all over them." :shake:   

Levi

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jul 2009, 11:09 pm »
well said. Don't forget dust. :lol:

I prefer black components for home theatre and aluminium finish for strictly 2 channel use.  I like to keep my equipment nice and clean, but it seems you can really notice black components that are not properly cleaned - you see a lot of the "white smudgy fingerprints all over them." :shake:   

topround

« Reply #57 on: 6 Jul 2009, 11:24 pm »
Smudgey, fingerprinty,dusty components are a sign of a true audiophile.
The RCA's should be worn from trying so many damn cables :lol:
And if cat hair gets inside ..that is a bonus :thumb:
Who needs Marigo dots, when you have cat hair landing strategically on certain caps and resistors and some toroids.

Mike

Sasha

« Reply #58 on: 7 Jul 2009, 12:46 am »
Dandruff is my favorite.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #59 on: 7 Jul 2009, 07:58 am »
The dust I use I have only found for sale in one hi fi shop in the UK.

Its specially designed to reduce RFI emission and best used on top of amplifiers.

It was really tricky to apply and took me several attempts to get right. I found the best way was to remove the top and place selotape under all the air vents, then sprinkle the dust evenly over the top, The container has a herb style sprinkle top to ease application. then remove the selotape, this removes the dust over the air vents and allows correct airflow. replace top.

The shop owner said they had run out of the powdered hens teeth which they suggest you use on Magna Planar speakers.