Aftermarket Crossover For HA??

Wind Chaser

Aftermarket Crossover For HA??
« on: 30 Jun 2009, 01:45 am »
There's some talk that Danny makes an aftermarket crossover for the HA Silver Iris.  It would be nice to know a few details like...

how much does it cost?

and how does it effect the overall efficiency / sensitivity?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: Aftermarket Crossover For HA??
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2009, 01:58 am »

emac

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2009, 02:07 am »
Well, first thing to be aware of is that the new crossover is for the 10" Silver Iris and not the 15" version.  I unfortunately assumed that the new XO was for the 15" model and bought it for mine.  Given that it was designed for the wrong speaker, it still sounds pretty good, and is a step up from both the stock XO and the modded one that I was using that had Mills resistors and Obbligato caps.  I haven't run a frequency response to see what's happening.  I'm just going off of my ears.     

dweekie

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2009, 02:48 am »
Unfortunately, the only model that Danny has worked on is the 10" regular Silver Iris.  I am trying to gather interest for a 15" Sterling Silver Iris update.  The Sterling model with the well regarded Radian 475 would be a very interesting upgrade in comparison to the work he did with the cheap Eminance unit in the regular 10"/15" Silver Iris. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2009, 02:52 am »
You guys bring me one and I'll measure and test it for you to see where it is, and then I'll see what I can do with it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2009, 03:08 am »
Danny,

How much for the 10" x-over?
Does it lower the overall efficiency?

Thanks - John

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2009, 03:35 am »
How much for the 10" x-over?

Not counting wiring needed the parts cost is $182.00

Does it lower the overall efficiency?

Well, yes and no. The average sensitivity is the same, but the peaks that were 8 to 9db high have been removed and the dips that were 8 to 9db deep have also been removed. The new network also did away with out of phase cancellations. Plus, the notch filters reduced areas of stored energy that was adding a bit of ringing.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2009, 04:02 am »
Thanks Danny,

If I do go the HA route, I'll go with your crossover.  Right now it's on my short list of speakers for 2.5 watt flea amp.