Tweeters on the Inside or Outside?

ptownkevin

Tweeters on the Inside or Outside?
« on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:04 pm »
My SapphireXLs are now nearly broken in and are perched upon their (very substantial!) Sound Anchor stands. The stands have provided another level of refinement to the sound. My question is: what have people found to be the the advantages of placing the tweeters on the inside vs the outside?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin O'Toole

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Tweeters on the Inside or Outside?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:39 pm »
They'll work well either way.  It all depends on the room width, where you can place them spacing wise, and whether you want pinpoint imaging or a huge soundstage (they still image great with the huge soundstage though).

Tweeters in and speakers spread far apart with toe in to about 4' behind your head gives a great nearfield type of imaging.  Tweeters out and more farfield gives a very nice wide soundstage.

Bryan

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2009, 12:19 pm »
Bryan has summed it up perfectly :)

ptownkevin

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2009, 03:02 pm »
Although both configurations had terrific sound, tweeters on the outside won out. The soundstage is much wider and the imaging is still precise.

I've had the SapphireXLs for a few months now and a pair of Sound Anchor stands were added a few weeks back. I swear the sound continues to improve - the stands made a huge difference but the speakers are still breaking in. I live in a condo so haven't been able to leave them playing for long stretches of time, plus I was away for a week with the entire system unplugged. This past week the system has sounded glorious. And addicting.

Thanks for your advice, Bryan - you were exactly right. Today I'll be adhering the speakers to the stands and dialing them in a bit more. Can't wait!

ACI Noob

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2009, 09:45 pm »
Although both configurations had terrific sound, tweeters on the outside won out. The soundstage is much wider and the imaging is still precise.

I like the tweeters on the outside as well (I use mine for mostly nearfield listening) with the speakers toe'd in slightly.  But as with anything it takes some experimentation to get the best sound.