USB device not recognized

chadh

USB device not recognized
« on: 26 Jun 2009, 07:43 pm »

Two days ago, my Audio Sector USB DAC was in my system, working properly.

Then I unhooked it, as I wanted to install a USB device that would allow me to record my son playing guitar.

Yesterday I tried to reinstall the USB DAC into the system and suddenly I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" error.  The only thing that has changed is that I installed some new software to support the Tascam US-122 input/output device.

Any suggestions for what might have gone wrong?  And, more importantly, how to fix it?

Chad

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: USB device not recognized
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2009, 07:57 pm »
Uninstall the Tascam software and see what you get.  Is your PC from Dell?

WG

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2009, 08:31 pm »
Chad,

I'm far from a computer guru, but assuming you are using Windows, I would also try Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup and make sure Temp Files are checked if there are any data shown there.  Restart and see if it is properly recognized.  If not, you could also try System Restore back to a Data Point prior to a problem. 

Good luck,
Will

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2009, 09:03 pm »
When you removed the DAC, did you properly shut it down first in windows or did you just pull it?  While VERY rare, you can actually damage a USB device by removing it without shutting it down first in windows.

Bryan

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2009, 09:07 pm »
Yesterday I tried to reinstall the USB DAC into the system and suddenly I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" error.

It is very possible that you have a blown USB receiver chip  :|

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2009, 09:16 pm »
I have this same problem with my Empirical Off-Ramp 3 when I initially tried replacing the wallwart power supply with the Paul Hynes power supply. The only way I could get the Empirical 3 recognised was to open Windows with the original wallwart ps, then switch power supplies while online. Once Windows had the Off-Ramp recognised with the Hynes power supply, it stayed recognised thru repeated reboots. Maybe disconnecting the power supply while Windows was open isn't the proper way of doing things but it was the only way I could get the Off-Ramp recognised with the upgraded power supply.

Cheers,
Robin

chadh

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2009, 10:46 pm »
Yesterday I tried to reinstall the USB DAC into the system and suddenly I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" error.

It is very possible that you have a blown USB receiver chip  :|

When you removed the DAC, did you properly shut it down first in windows or did you just pull it?  While VERY rare, you can actually damage a USB device by removing it without shutting it down first in windows.

Bryan

Gulp!

I did simply unplug it.  How would I determine if the receiver chip is blown or not?

Chad

chadh

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2009, 10:50 pm »
Uninstall the Tascam software and see what you get.  Is your PC from Dell?

When I re-read my post, uninstalling the Tascam software seemed like the extremely sensible thing to do.  I tried it, but alas it had no effect.

The PC isn't a Dell, though.  It's an Asus EEE PC (a little netbook).

Chad

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2009, 11:48 pm »
Just out of curiosity, did you use the same USB port for all of this or do you have other options?

The only thing that can happen when unplugging is that the power is not removed from the USB connection prior to disconnect.  If it were me, I'd try it on another PC and see if it can be recognized.

Also, is there any way to know if the device is powered up and just not recognized?  Does the TASCAM still work if you install the software again?  Just trying to troubleshoot and see if it's actually the device or the USB port that has an issue.

Bryan

chadh

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2009, 12:49 am »
Just out of curiosity, did you use the same USB port for all of this or do you have other options?

The only thing that can happen when unplugging is that the power is not removed from the USB connection prior to disconnect.  If it were me, I'd try it on another PC and see if it can be recognized.

Also, is there any way to know if the device is powered up and just not recognized?  Does the TASCAM still work if you install the software again?  Just trying to troubleshoot and see if it's actually the device or the USB port that has an issue.

Bryan

The computer has three USB ports.  I tried all three of them, with the same results.

The idea of connecting to a different computer to see if the device is recognized is a great idea, so I just tried that.  Unfortunately, I got the same result.  Device not recognized.

This is sounding bad, right?

Chad

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:19 am »

I think it is time to get the USB receiver chip replaced.  These can be sensitive to static (ESD), and that might have been the culprit.... hard to say.  I've seen this before and am 99% confident that you'll need to get that chip replaced.

The only other thing to try is a different USB cable, but it is very unlikely that it is the culprit. 

Thump553

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2009, 08:58 am »
Ouch.  I flinch when I think of the probably hundreds of times I've unplugged USB devices without stopping them first.  Time to reform my practices.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2009, 11:11 am »
Like I said, it's pretty rare but it can happen. 

Bryan

kitten

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2009, 07:57 pm »
Chad,

Before concluding the worst, as mentioned in an earlier post above do a System Restore back to a date when you were using the DAC with no problems. If you HAVEN'T fried your receiver chip, System Restore will likely resolve things. This has worked for me in the past when I've had that message.

I must admit I've been a bit reckless myself with this. I'll be much more careful with my DAC from now on....I hope you get it all working again.