Wadia iTransport + Pace Car 2 vs. dedicated CD player

minimus

I am trying to decide between a Pace Car + Wadia and a dedicated CD player.  The Pace Car is well-regarded but reviews don't provide much comparison to the sound of dedicated CD players.  I am considering dedicated CD players like the Resolution Audio Opus 21 or Audio Aero Prima, which are well-regarded for having an analogue-like presentation, which is what I want.  I would not use an external DAC with these players.  If I went with the Pace Car + Wadia, I would most likely use my current DAC, an unmodded Northstar M192 MkI, but might consider an inexpensive NOS DAC like the Keces.  So, can anyone offer any comparison between the Wadia + Pace Car and a dedicated CD player?  I am looking for musical, involving, toe-tapping, rather than ultra-resolving and detailed.  My speakers (Sehring 703s) tend toward the analytical already and I want to avoid anything remotely fatigueing.  Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Wadia iTransport + Pace Car 2 vs. dedicated CD player
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2009, 06:53 pm »
Why do you want a Wadio iTransport in this chain?

minimus

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2009, 09:44 pm »
Well, for one, I already own the Wadia but have not been all that happy with its sound quality.  For another, an iPod-based system is more convenient for selecting playlists and changing songs than a CD player.  But I don't have the space (or the desire to move up the IT learning curve) to use a dedicated laptop as my source, in case that is why you asked.

serengetiplains

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2009, 01:51 am »
Hi m, I own a Wadia iTransport and use it with Steve's Pace Car.  I decided on the Wadia unit for various reasons of convenience.  Like you, I find the Wadia's sound mediocre.  With the Pace Car, the Wadia is first class.  And I mean first class.  IME of digital (I've owned Emm Labs and others), the Wadia/Pace Car combination is probably the best I've heard.  FWIW, I'm running my Pace Car off a Paul Hynes 12VDC supply, which adds a measure of improvement over the stock wall wart.

I suspect an unintended advantage the Wadia can boast is it bypasses whatever in iTunes mucks up the sound.  My main rig uses a computer + Amarra.  The Wadia/Pace Car setup, I think, betters my main rig.

The W/P-C sound is both detailed and non-fatiguing.

minimus

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2009, 02:38 am »
Thanks for that feedback, serengitiplains.  If the Wadia+Pace Car beats EMM Labs gear, that is high praise indeed.  I may send you a PM to ask more about the Paul Hynes power supply, since I am not sure which of his models you use in your system.

serengetiplains

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2009, 03:03 am »
Feel free to pm me.  I'm happy to answer questions you might have.

silverlight

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2009, 02:58 pm »
serengetiplains - I'd also be curious to hear what Hynes power components you're using for the PaceCar.  Bolder Cable also sells some boxes/cables for DC input (12V), however I can't confirm if they're compatible.
I'm also doing a little research into battery supply options for the PaceCar, and I know Steve is doing the same for the Overdrive DAC.

serengetiplains

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2009, 04:22 pm »
I am using the Hynes SR1 shunt supply at the moment.  The particular version of that supply I am using is a little under-spec'd current-wise.  My plans are to add a second 12V supply, dedicating one to the clock.

KingStyles

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2009, 06:42 pm »
I was thinking about the hynes power supply for my offramp but you say it is a liitle underpowered for a offramp with a superclock?

silverlight

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2009, 07:10 pm »
Received a message from Hynes today regarding the PaceCar, which may be a little different of course:

"The power supply being used with the PaceCar2 is the SR3-12. This   
power supply exceeds the performance of any battery I have tried and   
this is being verified by my customers. With this in mind I see no   
point in offering a battery supply unless I find one that improves on   
the SR3 performance.

The SR3 is built into the same chassis as the SR1 as shown on my   
website and costs ?270. The matching DC3C high performance DC lead   
costs ?35 and insured carriage and packing will be charged at cost."

Hope that helps

serengetiplains

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2009, 09:41 pm »
Paul manufactures two types of supplies for use as main power supplies: shunt and series.  Either type can be manufactured for a specified rated current output.  The SR3 is a higher-current and possibly an upgraded version of his SR1; both are shunt supplies.

To order a supply from him, you need to know the max current draw of the unit the supply will power, and the required voltage.  Paul says his shunt supply works better with digital devices.