VPI Classic - new/new in box - $2280.00 including PayPal + freight / SOLD!

TheChairGuy

Semi-longish story how I have in hand two VPI Classics (I probably owned two when less than 60 were actually in folks hands).  The one that I am using is serial #1050 (I assume, the 50th made and sold to a consumer).

The new-in-box, never opened unit laying to my left came in around the same time.

These are very fine decks...and this is coming from a guy generally not enthralled with the value quotient for belt drive decks.  Without outboard speed regulation, these guys keep very good sense of pitch.  Not quite as good as tightly regulated, servo controlled direct drives....but, made up for in sonics (my opinion) with a larger/wider/deeper soundstage, and low noise.

Mine is a keeper - but, alas, I need but one only.  Hence the sale of this one (stock photo from VPI's site):

http://www.vpiindustries.com/table_classic.htm

Question away as needed....  John
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2009, 01:33 pm by TheChairGuy »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Bump .....

Sweet unit John, am sorely tempted as I have yet to get into the old Thorens. But budget it very tight. Maybe if I win the lottery before it finds a new home. Good luck.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless

aa  okay - well I'm still curious. So does this unit require major clay-mation for best results, or is it pretty dead stock ? Just curious- black oak or walnut ? Your thoughts on how the Grado G1+ would work, or would you recommend another cart ?  :scratch:

TheChairGuy

Hi Arthur,

It's as pictured, as above (walnut).  The black looks pretty nice in pics, too...but I choose the walnut.

My Grado (a Gold with a G1+ stylus) and one borrowed from AC member 'browntrout' both hum a little bit on this deck....but it's so faint during playback that I don't think it takes away any enjoyment of them on this deck.  I've only used Grado's on my deck thus far....and I like the deck quite a bit.

It's plenty dead/inert...no need for plast-i-clay on this baby.  The feet are quite capable of fending off feedback (VPI claims 4 x 15" subwoofers going on around the deck barely phase it.  I'll take their word for it :lol:)

Frankly, this was pretty much my last shot at reasonably priced (well, unfortunately ~$2500 is a 'good' price for a new, excellent belt drive deck nowadays :( ) belt drive deck...and it has not disappointed.

Mike at VPI informed me the best upgrade for it is the periphery/ring clamp.

John

TheChairGuy

I've been keeping two discussions going on my impression(s) of this deck. 

One here on AC: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65317.0

And another on The Vinyl Engine: http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18896&start=0

My sentiments expressed on both are the same - positive - but it's interesting to see the direction of the two topics and the questions & comments by others.

John

TheChairGuy

This deck will likely appeal to the intermediate or advances turntablist....but it's among the few that most patient beginners could enjoy.

No suspension means MUCH easier set-up.  It comes on 4 very serious looking stainless steel feet which have 3 ball bearing bottoms for minimal contact with shelf underneath.

It's reported to be effective at repelling feedback even with 4 x 15" subwoofers playing in background - which I'll have to take their word upon :wink:

The arm is 10.5" long...midway between a standard size 9" and generally the longest used at 12".  The 10-10.5" arms are my faves overall (all other things equal - which they never are  :icon_lol:) as they have inherently better tracking over 9" arms, but are still non-resonant enough to do service to the music :thumb:

VPI says the 10.5i arm makes any deck sound wonderful...and I'm inclined to agree to a point.

The only improvements one can make on this deck are straightforward: An outer, periphery clamp (it comes with a threaded inner clamp already), and an SDS.

For about $4000 you likely end up with a deck that is so good, it is likely a fine contender for once-and-done turntable.  The basic package, as offered here, hints at that excellence for sure :)

The only thing that would make me want to go back to my JVC direct drive table eventually would be convenience.  My listening habits are different from most....they are during the long days in my home/office, rather than a critical hour or two after work.  So, auto functions like with my JVC DD are appreciated more than most.

Regards, John

Sonny

Guys, this is a great table...I heard John's other one and it was great! Speed, accuracy and well, it looks marvelous as well!  That solid aluminum platter is awesome!
 :thumb:

TheChairGuy

Yeah, it's not exactly sexy looking...it more pays homage to simpler decks of yesterday like Empire and Rek-o-kuts.

I don't think Harry Weisfeld of VPI is a styling guru...it's all about sound with him. But, I don't think anyone could describe it as ugly.

The footprint is bigger than a Scout because the 10.5" arm needs a skoosh more room than a 9" - but it's not a porker by any means.

Among the VPI's I've heard over time (really, all but the TNT and HRx for all practical matters), this one is right up there with VPI's best :thumb:

John

TheChairGuy

Still available as of 12:22PM California time :)....but, we have had a couple interested parties PM me of late.

Regards, John

Scottdazzle

Somebody should take advantage of this deal of the decade. The table without the arm is worth the asking price.  And the 10.5" arm is worth nearly the asking price.   8)

Disclosure: I do not know John and I'm not associated with VPI.  I did buy a VPI Classic myself and could not be happier with it.   :D

TheChairGuy

A couple more inquiries the past 3 days...but, the VPI Classic is still available as of today.

Ciao, John

robbiesurp

PM Sent

TheChairGuy

PM answered :thumb:

Thx, John

TheChairGuy

SOLD!

btw, this was likely the most expensive item I've sold on AudioCircle and had my doubts there would be adequate interest for a small slice of audiophooldom - a turntable - with a price tag over $2000.00

Much to my delight and surprise, I was again able to avoid Audiogon, their fees and nonsensical rules, and sold this on AudioCircle.

I have heard so many complain about the process of selling things here are flawed or whatnot and to that I say it is you and your process that is flawed.  If you price it correctly, give a proper reason why you are selling it, some pics and answer posts within the topic and PM's quickly and thoroughly to the potential purchasers need...you end up selling it here.

Fact is, selling works here...even for a $2K+ turntable.  I realize I have thousands of posts and have been a mainstay here for years (so folks have comfort that I'm not a fly-by-night), but I think of the many things that help sell an item....that's about 10th down on the list for purchasers.  The important things are respecting that someone, no matter the cost, is going to fork over their finite funds for your gear...and they are owed complete and prompt answers to their questions.

Anyhow, I am living proof that the Trading Post system as it currently is works indeed.  That doesn't mean there aren't ways to improve it....but if your gear doesn't sell here, it ain't broken, look further within yourself for answers why it is not.

John