Exterior SATA/2.0 USB Hard Drive Enclosure Suggestions, please

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
I'm looking for a lay down encloser with a quiet fan for an SATA Seagate 750G hard drive. I thought I could use one that I already have but come to find out the 2 exterior enclosers in my system are both PATA and my Seagate is a SATA so I need to shop. I'll be scoping both TigerDirct and Newegg but I thought I'd ask the more knowledgable what is working for them. Because of room constraints, the encloser has to be stackable so i can use it with my other 2 exterior hd's and it has to have a quiet fan. Low profile display lights are also a plus.

Any suggestions? Please?  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Levi

There are so many drive enclosures out there Robin.  I don't have one so can't help you there buddy.

I use Western Digital My Book World Edition II they are really quiet.  It has a sleep/power saver feature.  I have 4-5 of them sitting in a shelf.  They look like books in a book shelf :thumb:  My point is if you have more than one external enclosure they look better if it looks identical.  Not much help there. 

satfrat

• Restricted
There are so many drive enclosures out there Robin.  I don't have one so can't help you there buddy.

I use Western Digital My Book World Edition II they are really quiet.  It has a sleep/power saver feature.  I have 4-5 of them sitting in a shelf.  They look like books in a book shelf :thumb:  My point is if you have more than one external enclosure they look better if it looks identical.  Not much help there.

Well there iies the problem Levi, the 2 external HD's that I now have are perfect, 1 little green light in the front, super quiet internal fan and stackable. Only problem is they came from the builder of my HTPC, Cellar Cinema's from the Boston area and they've disappeared. I can't understand why he's use SATA drives inside my HTPC but use PATA external HD enclosers. :scratch:  You would think he'd want compatibility for all this products but it's all history now. I have a 750G Seagate full of my secondary HD stuff that includes my audio library (9034 albums) and I need a quiet case for it so it can complement my other 750G Seagate exterior HD. I now have a 1.5T secondary HD in my HTPC so once I get my library copied onto it, I'm back in business.

Hopefully someone has a lay down case with a fan that's ultra quiet. I've got 2 enclosers that are just that so I know it's just a matter of finding a close cousin. :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

Topsy

Have you considered using a Docking Station? It's what I use now.
No need for a fan as the disk is exposed to the air and you can just
swap Hard Disks in and out as you please.

satfrat

• Restricted
Have you considered using a Docking Station? It's what I use now.
No need for a fan as the disk is exposed to the air and you can just
swap Hard Disks in and out as you please.

I simply don't have the room or this would be a sweet idea, simply switch HD's. Unfortunately, I already have 2 exterior HD's and need a 3rd and they all need to be stackable, hense the need for an ultra quiet fan. Thanks for your suggestion tho.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Ruby Mae

I'm looking for a lay down encloser with a quiet fan for an SATA Seagate 750G hard drive. I thought I could use one that I already have but come to find out the 2 exterior enclosers in my system are both PATA and my Seagate is a SATA so I need to shop. I'll be scoping both TigerDirct and Newegg but I thought I'd ask the more knowledgable what is working for them. Because of room constraints, the encloser has to be stackable so i can use it with my other 2 exterior hd's and it has to have a quiet fan. Low profile display lights are also a plus.

Cheers,
Robin

you should ask me for advice :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
I found a sweet little enclosure here for $34, has an ultra quiet fan but has a silver enclosure while I want all black.

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted

Cheers,
Robin

you should ask me for advice :lol:

I thought I was.  :green:

satfrat

• Restricted
Good ole EBAY, I found the discontinued (but brand new) enclosure to match my other exterior hard drives, 0 bids so I should be able to pick this up on the cheap and retain my sackability. :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

Bill@LakeGeorge

I found a sweet little enclosure here for $34, has an ultra quiet fan but has a silver enclosure while I want all black.

Cheers,

You could wrap it with your black dyed woolies :lol:
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: Exterior SATA/2.0 USB Hard Drive Enclosure Suggestions, please
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2009, 06:41 pm »

You could wrap it with your black dyed woolies :lol:

Wouldn't work Bill, my woolies are dyed Gold Ochre. :lol:  Actually I heard back from this company and was told they could do a black enclosure,,, if I ordered 1000 enclosures! :duh: 

Like I already stated, I found 3 of these discontinued stackable enclosures available to match the 3 I already have. I paid $50 each for the ones i have and now have a bid on a new in box enclosure for $9.95.

These units are stackable up to 12 high. 8)  I'll be up to 4 now.

Cheers,
Robin

doctorcilantro

I'd get a slot-loading SATA enclosure; makes switching much easier and faster (especially useful for multiple backup drives).

I'm trying to find the ones I have used in the past.

DC