Hooking up sub to BP25 preamp or 4B SST amp

john1970

Hooking up sub to BP25 preamp or 4B SST amp
« on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:00 pm »
James,

I am currently running a Bryston BP25 to a 4B SST through balanced interconnects.  If I want to hookup a sub to the system I assume I can do it two ways:

1) Using either pair of RCA outputs on the BP25 to the (low level) line in of the subwoofer amp
OR
2) Using the speaker outputs of the 4B SST to the high level (speaker level) inputs of the subwoofer amp. 

Am I correct?  Is there a prefered method that you recommend?

Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Cheers,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Hooking up sub to BP25 preamp or 4B SST amp
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:08 pm »
James,

I am currently running a Bryston BP25 to a 4B SST through balanced interconnects.  If I want to hookup a sub to the system I assume I can do it two ways:

1) Using either pair of RCA outputs on the BP25 to the (low level) line in of the subwoofer amp
OR
2) Using the speaker outputs of the 4B SST to the high level (speaker level) inputs of the subwoofer amp. 

Am I correct?  Is there a prefered method that you recommend?

Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Yes either way is OK but the rca outs to the sub in is the best option.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:17 pm »
I used Ycables out of my pre,R side of each Y to amps and the L side of each Y
to sub(s),She works way better than going from pre to sub and out of sub to amps.I believe this uses the highpass filter in sub.It was okay but didn't sound right,did the Y cables and holy crap,bring on the Thunder.Now I'm messin with a active X-over.My next try is to just use the lowpass on the X-over and run my amps direct from the pre.Give the Y cables a shot I think you'll be qiute surprised,I was :thumb:.. 

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:23 pm »
I agree with the rest.  There are so many ways to install a subwoofer.

It also depends on your subwoofer.  I know REL subs works better with speaker level input so it sees full range sound from the amplifier output.  REL's excellent crossover takes care of the rest for seemless integration between your main speakers.  :thumb:

danman

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:15 am »
I used Ycables out of my pre,R side of each Y to amps and the L side of each Y
to sub(s),She works way better than going from pre to sub and out of sub to amps.I believe this uses the highpass filter in sub.It was okay but didn't sound right,did the Y cables and holy crap,bring on the Thunder.Now I'm messin with a active X-over.My next try is to just use the lowpass on the X-over and run my amps direct from the pre.Give the Y cables a shot I think you'll be qiute surprised,I was :thumb:..

So this means you are NOT balanced I presume?

drummermitchell

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:52 am »
Yes,Balanced.I did use Cardas grcs(rcas)+Ys.Now i'm using Bryston's balanced
throughout.i received a 3 metre pair of Ys from bryston to do what i'm doing now.
The 26 is balanced and the DD-115s have XLR sub inputs also.I really like the Y system,but I'm playing around with the 10B sub X-over with my passive Revels.
As i mentioned before i'm going to try just using the lowpass on the 10B and see.
The 10B gives my subs a nice oomph on the kick on cds.Just the highpass i'm not sure about as I'm finding I lose a bit of stage between the instruments and it
is a bit compressed on the mids and highs.More fiddlin and grinnin.If I can keep the Active X-over in the mix(lowpass) and keep my mids and highs open as before I introduced the 10b,then I should be able to enjoy it all.

danman

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:02 am »
Sorry I just realised you are using the 7B's!! I only have the 4B-SST2 so I just hook up the sub from one of the pre outputs. My mistake.

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:24 am »
Hi Danman,no problem,I use to use all 7B-ssts across the front,now I have one 7B-sst for my centre and the 28s for R+L.That 4B is a SUPERB AMP.That's where I started was with the 4b-sst and then 7s and.............took me a while with the upgrade thing.I know the 4B-sst2 has more power than I need,same with the 7s, 28s,and she's all in a 11X12 living room.I'm being slowly evicted out of my living room by Bryston :thumb:, :o.I don't know the size of your room but i'm sure your 4B-sst2 doesn't even break a sweat aa.

danman

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:32 am »
Holy crap! 11 x 12!!!!!! With all that gear? WOW! :drool:

It's a wonder the walls don't fall into each other!! Man you got some nice toys!

I'm a 2 channel music guy myself. For home theatre I use a big Onkyo with JmLabs and 2 Hsu subs and that is enough for me! Nothing like what you have!

Yes the 4b sq is very powerful and in my 16 x 24 room it barely sees past 9 o'clock on a good day!

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:04 am »
I wish I had your room.We are looking at adding on or buy another house.
Hopefully this year.Just seeing how the economy will do this year.were sitting not bad right now,When we do It'll be an all out assault on the bigger room :thumb:..

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:09 am »
Actually the walls won't fall down as the termites are holding hands.

werd

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:12 am »
Actually the walls won't fall down as the termites are holding hands.

:lol: the termites are holding hands

danman

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:21 am »
The room does have to accomidate those huge Quests which stand over 6 feet high and need to be 4 feet into the room so I am the limit.

My room is in my basement and when I bought the house to renovate, this was a priority so it had to be a perfect rectangle. I put a lot of work into it. All walls are insulated with Roxul sound absorbing insulation and the ceiling is sort of split level with perforated board with Roxul as well. I also used 2 sheets of Gypsum board for each wall with air in between to absorb dead bass. I built my own sound absorbers to be placed mostly in corners and behind my Logan's as they are dipolar and I did not want reverberation since I have no carpet on the floor to minimize dust particles which Electrostatics are prone over time and after spending 4000$ to completely rebuild my Quests fro A to Z, I wanted to make sure that was not an issue.

This may sound like too much but for a small room (yes, it is considered small!) I have made a really good sounding area. One draw back is that it can get a little warm at certain periods of the year with all the insulation. Never turned the heat on yet and where I live, it's damn cold in winter!

danman

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:22 am »
 aa

drummermitchell

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:36 am »
Double drywall,nice one :thumb:.

danman

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:54 am »
With a space in between the 2 you get less bass boom. I like to use subs so I noticed a big difference here, With Martin Logans being very fast with panels, I did not want any hanging bass notes from the room.