Making vanilla extract at home

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Making vanilla extract at home
« on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:25 pm »
A couple years ago a fellow STL audio dudes wife game me a small sample of some vanilla extract that a friend of a friend of her's picked up from a trip to Mexico. The greatest vanilla smell I've ever experienced. An eyeopening smell that beats the store bought cheapo extract I've become accustom to over the years.
Well, that little bottle she gave me is about gone.  :(
As opposed to mooching off of her 'secret stash of special stuff', I thought I'd see what the internet holds with regard to this Mexican vanilla goodness.

Some of what I've read is a bit scary. The additives they use for color and flavor include some pretty nasty things, "tar" being the worst one.  :o
As it turns out, it's possible to make vanilla at home with Vodka, Brandy, or Rum. All it take is a couple vanilla beans and about two months.

> HERE'S < an interesting project that I'd like to try. But before I wait eight weeks to taste the results, I'd like to know if any of you cooking geeks have made your own vanilla extract, and how you did it.

If the project turns out successful, I'll be returning the favor by giving the gal that turned me on to quality vanilla a nice sized bottle of her very own.  aa

Thanks in advance fellas.
Bob

srb

Re: Making vanilla extract at home
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:37 pm »
I soaked some sliced vanilla beans in Grand Manier (natural orange flavored Cognac), for a couple weeks.  It was not long enough to result in a concentrated "extract", but the resultant drink (think vanilla orange cream) was so delicious, I ended up sipping it all !

With your post reminding me, I think I will try it again with a little more patience going for a 6 - 8 weak soak, and see if I can get closer to an extract.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:46 pm »
was so delicious, I ended up sipping it all !
:rotflmao: :jester: That's fantastic!!!
I didn't think about that, but I'll bet that did taste good.
Didn't think about Grand Marnier. Hmm....I suppose any sort of booze (except beer/wine) would work. maybe it would be an interesting experiment to have multiple jars. One Vodka, one Rum, one Grand Marnier. I've even got some Cointreau to try.

The worst part is not having patience.  :lol: I suck at that.  :duh:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:47 pm »
...........oh....I forgot:
Where's the best place to get vanilla beans?
If I'm going to do this, I'd rather have good one's as opposed to the "regular" stuff at the grocery store.

Bob

srb

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:55 pm »
Yes, lack of patience is always a potential pitfall in life!

I like your idea of the siultaneous test soak.  At least you would only have to wait through one long soak period.

That is a great idea.

It has been awhile.  I believe I got them at a Trader Joe's, but I don't know if they currently sell any.  They were Madagascar, I think.  I'll look around, please let us know if you find a good source.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2009, 07:02 pm »
Will do Steve.
The link I have above sells the beans as well as large and small jars (small jars for sharing your creation). Although I have not dealt with them.
But 12 beans for $30, enough to have multiple 'flavors', seems a bit steeply priced. Don't you think?

I'll check out Trader Joe's too, thanks for that.

Bob

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2009, 07:15 pm »
Wow - who would have guessed that the "authentic" vanilla in Mexico was fake?  :dunno: :banghead: :shake:

Here's a link to the full story on Mexico:http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-mexican.html

I guess I should have listened to my wife when we came home and she said she didn't like using it, for taste or smell or anything. She prefers the store bought stuff. She's usually pretty sensitive to this sort of thing. I'll have to find some beans and give the homemade recipe a try. I use it just about every weekend in pancakes or french toast and such.

Bob

srb

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2009, 07:22 pm »
I'm not bashing all products from Mexico, but I had some Mexican "cinnamon"  that was very soft and not to my liking at all.

Same goes for the Mexican Fuerte avocado compared to the California Haas.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2009, 07:37 pm »
Yea, Bob. That's the same article I read.  :?
But I'm with you dude, good vanilla RULES when used in pancakes and french toast.  aa
Not that "bisquick" crap........  :finger: .......that my wife loves so much. A touch of sugar in the pancakes....ohhhh baby!!!!  :drool:

Bob

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2009, 07:41 pm »
I had great luck buying vanilla beans from Europe off of ebay.  They were super-cheap.

I never compared the beans I purchased versus others but they made for some great ice cream.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2009, 07:53 pm »
The 3 major vanilla countries of production are Madagascar, Tahiti, and Mexico. There are minor productions from Hawaii,  central American countries and New Guinea.  Vanilla originated in Mexico. It is my personal favorite. Everything else tends to be more expensive. The processing of the beans varies as well as methods of extraction. The horror stories propagated about Mexican extraction are designed to keep out competition from the major food purveyors in the US market. The best, and cheapest, way to secure quality Mexican beans and extract is to hand carry from Mexico. Flavor will be influenced by type, growing region, and extraction method. There are over 20 types, or varieties, of vanilla. Vanilla planifolia is the most prevalent. Vanilla is the only orchid to have commercial value beyond its beauty. Flowering for only 1 day, it must be pollinated by bees, ants or by hand. If used in baking, a temperature of over 300 degrees will obscure any subtle differences in flavor and artificial vanilla will offer a cheaper alternative. Having stated that, I prefer a artificial/real blend if large quantities are required. There is nothing plain about vanilla. It has an ability to accentuate and potentiate other flavors and make them blend in a way no other flavoring can.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2009, 09:57 pm »
Here's a pancake recipe. I was sent a PM earlier asking for it. I figure if I'm going to type it, I may as well share it with everybody. I mean, this is about vanilla, right? What better way to use it than pancakes?  aa
I'll type the recipe as it's written, but I do use more vanilla than what it requires.

2 cups milk
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract  :wink: +++++
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 cups flour all purpose (sifted)
1 1/2 TBS baking powder

I'll use a pat of butter (not the fake stuff) in a cast iron pan before the mix goes in.
Veggie oil also works, but I prefer butter.

I assume you know the rest of the directions.  :lol:

Bob

EDIT: Thanks for the info konut. Neat info!

jules

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2009, 10:55 pm »
Hi Bob,

I'd like to know if any of you cooking geeks have made your own vanilla extract,

Vanilla extract has something of a reputation for bringing about the downfall of the occasional chef and others who have it easy to hand. I don't know what the alcohol content is but it's pretty high. I can't say I've tried it as a drink but vanilla really only works best as a hint of flavour so I'd think that the concentrated form would rapidly dull/overload the taste buds.

An alternative form of vanilla that I prefer is vanilla sugar. The traditional way to make this is to put a bean or two in a jar of sugar and wait, and wait ...... It does take several months. A better way of doing it is to put a couple of beans in a food processor with a kilo or so of sugar and process until the beans are reduced to fine flecks. [I chop them up with a chefs knife first but this might not be possible for everyone]. Leave them for a couple of weeks and use in small amounts wherever it suits. You can sieve out the flecks if you like but they aren't really a problem.

jules

jermmd

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2009, 10:55 pm »
Costco has Vanilla beans.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm »
If you don't bake, what can you do with vanilla extract?

I had never seen a vanilla bean until about two months ago when I was shopping at a health food store.  Paid $4.59 for one bean!  Had no idea what to do with it, but last month I Googled "vanilla bean" and decided to make my own extract.  That required a few more beans... so I shopped around and found good quality beans at the supermarket... two for $6.99, packaged in a test tube.

Apart from baking, there doesn't seem to be any application for this stuff.  I tried punching up the vanilla in my Breyers vanilla ice cream, but that didn't turn out as I hoped.

Vanilla is supposed to be an aphrodisiac and to some extent I believe it.  I worked at a restaurant for a while and there was one particularly attractive server who would go for a cigarette and would come back with the strong scent of vanilla.  Oh yeah!  I started buying vanilla air freshener ever since.  It's quite addictive.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:58 pm »
REAL vanilla, take any recipe and cut it into 1/4's.  My in-laws spend every winter in south Texas and go to Mexico all the time.  They bring us back 1lb of REAL cinammon and 2 5ths of serious vanilla extract every year.  Nothing like it in this country from what I've tried.  Seriously good stuff.  If there's tar in it, I don''t want to know.  It's way too good as is.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:02 am »
Seriously good stuff.  If there's tar in it, I don''t want to know.  It's way too good as is.
Ditto on EVERYTHING you said right there.
It was your wife I spoke of Bryan.  :wink:
If I make a batch (or two, or three), you'll be getting some.

Bob

jules

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:03 am »
Apart from baking, there doesn't seem to be any application for this stuff. 

Many desserts benefit from it. Vanilla sugar [see above] can be sprinkled on fruit. At full strength the amount of sugar needed is minimal and the main gain is the vanilla taste. 

Vanilla should really be used sparingly.

I worked at a restaurant for a while and there was one particularly attractive server who would go for a cigarette and would come back with the strong scent of vanilla.

One step away from the mouthwash  :lol:

jules

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2009, 04:03 pm »
I've never bought vanilla beans from Penzeys, but I've been happy with everything else I've bought from them and wouldn't hesitate to try their vanilla. I have used their extract and it had very good flavor, much better than the store brand I was using.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2009, 01:20 am »
I'm buying 12 beans from > HERE <. I've been able to get the wife interested in the project.  aa

That's enough to make two batches. I've got some Grand Marnier for one batch. Might use 'plain ol' Vodka for the other batch.
I'll let you know how it goes in two months.

Bryan, you'll be getting some. After all, it's due to the sample your wife gave me that I'm doing this.  :wink:

Bob