What mod options on a Transporter?

Big Red Machine

What mod options on a Transporter?
« on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:45 pm »
I have a brand new TP and am getting familiar with it.  I have zero tweaks or aftermarket products in the system right now.  I can't say as I don't "like" the sound but with all the excitement over the MW version I got to thinking about alternatives that are less expensive.

I've had several quotes ranging from a few hundred dollars up to approx $1k for analog output changes both SS and tubed.  I've even received commnets that some of the mod techniques being purchased today are overpriced and unwarranted by some of these same folks.

Has anyone tried any TP mods other than the MW version?  I'm pretty sure I cannot afford that level and am not sure I'd want to get into the tube arena.  Isn't the tube output defeating the purpose of the good DAC in the product?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: What mod options on a Transporter?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2009, 03:06 pm »
.  Isn't the tube output defeating the purpose of the good DAC in the product?

The tube mod is not to the DAC, it's to the analog stage AFTER the DAC.  The whole reason behind the Modwright Transporter is to take a very very resolving 24/96 DAC chip (AKM) and make it musical with a great tube analog stage.  The AKM DAC can be ruthlessly revealing and a bit clinical on its own (meaning with Logitech's cheap analog stage circuitry after it), and the analog stages of most stock gear is often an afterthought, even though it is of primary concern to the signal path quality.

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:19 pm »
Pete, I haven't heard any of the other mods out there so cannot comment on an AB comaprison with the MW unit.  The only help I can offer is a demo if you're in Pittsburgh (Stanley Cup) territory anytime in the near future and you're welcome to bring your TP to do a comparison - unfortunately I have no plans to come to Detroit  any time soon.  With Ted being half way this might be another demo option for you also?

In terms of tubes the max cost would be around $575 for the EML and 6H30DR's.  Both tube are available and new, without having to roll the dice with used tubes.  If you want to go cheaper then the you can also try the BEL that Zybar likes with the 6H30's for just over $400 or less.

My ears are calibrated similar to Dan's, I want the detail that the TP has but also want a sound that is musical to listen to and more organic overall.  IMHO this is were Dan's mods excel.

Phil

funkmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:48 pm »
...if you're in Pittsburgh (Stanley Cup) territory...

Ouch!  that one hurt me, and I haven't lived in Detroit for 12 years!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:54 pm »
 :lol: :lol:  And we all know what HUGE hockey fans those transplanted Brits are!!  Phil, can you say "bandwagoning".  :D  I would imagine he's still not sure what the Pittsburgh Steelers are all about...I mean, "football" isn't what they play.   :D

hell, if that damn bandwagoin would just come through Cleveland one of these years I'd surely jump all over it!!!  And I'm a life-long Cleveland sports fan!!

Pete, c'mon over and hear the MW TP sometime.  2 hrs from Motown (far west side of Cleve area).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:57 pm »
...if you're in Pittsburgh (Stanley Cup) territory...

Ouch!  that one hurt me, and I haven't lived in Detroit for 12 years!

It was all wasted on me as I am not a hockey or baseball fan.  And certainly not a Detroit sports fan as well.  Except my son's football team is called the Lions.  Oh well.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:38 pm »
I think I'll go back to a SB and an external DAC.  Less expensive alternative.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:59 pm »
Pete,

You might take a look at the Empirical Audio PaceCar 2 option down the road.  Rick Cullen modifies the Squeezebox for EA to take an external clock input from the PaceCar for about $150 plus the cost of the PaceCar from Steve ($1250 plus options).  Then just use the DAC of your choice.  I have a PaceCar 2 for the Transporter on the way right now but that will use the TP's wordclock input stock.  It would also drive a Squeezebox through the 44khz and 96khz master clock outputs but I need a SB with the Cullen clock input mods to try out.  My DAC is Bryston BDA-1 which will take native 44.1khz up to 192khz with multiple remote switchable digital inputs.

Tom

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:17 pm »
It would be interesting to measure the jitter of a modded SB3-and-Pace-Car vs a stock Transporter.  The issue with the SB3 is that it's jitter (especially with no BNC or AES/EBU outs) is higher than a Transporter.  I'm wondering if the Pace Car merely gets it back to TP range, in which case lots of cabling and modding and $$ to get to the stock TP (and still no 24/96).  In either case I agree and reiterate that the stock TP is not a great sonic solution without a better analog stage and/or DAC connected to it.  I've tried the TP (both via AES/EBU and true 75 OHM BNC SPDIF) with the Bryston and it sounds nice. 

JEaton

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2009, 02:28 pm »
In either case I agree and reiterate that the stock TP is not a great sonic solution without a better analog stage and/or DAC connected to it.

If that's the case, then it's horribly overpriced. (IMO)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2009, 02:43 pm »
In either case I agree and reiterate that the stock TP is not a great sonic solution without a better analog stage and/or DAC connected to it.

If that's the case, then it's horribly overpriced. (IMO)

There are many that like it, and it sells well, but to me the stock sound of those AKM DACs is too analytical/clinical.  Of course, I'm spoiled by Dan Wright's modded sound. :)

mikel51

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2009, 07:26 pm »
There are many that like it, and it sells well, but to me the stock sound of those AKM DACs is too analytical/clinical.  Of course, I'm spoiled by Dan Wright's modded sound. :)

+1 :thumb:

Frank S.

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2009, 07:39 pm »
Tom- on the Pace Car are the different clocks for different sources or should I be considering the highest clock possible and set it and forget it? I was considering the 44.1 Ultra Clock since that's what most of my files are, but the Theta will take 96.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2009, 07:53 pm »
The clock goes with the sample rate.  You switch clocks as the sample rate changes.

Frank S.

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2009, 08:08 pm »
Thanks Ted.