Oh Impatient Me, I Bought A New Phono Preamp....

nature boy

« on: 23 Dec 2003, 12:05 am »
I thought I could hold out for another couple months for the Eastern Electric new phono preamp offering, but I couldn't.  I just put in an order for a new Dynavector P-75 phono preamp.  This is a relatively small solid state offering that seems pretty flexible.

I will post some observations after a sufficient break in.  

NB[/img]

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2003, 12:41 am »
What price range is the Dynavector in?

I've heard some really good things about the Graham Slee Gram Amp 2Se as well (list on it is about $300).

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2003, 01:25 pm »
Brad,

Retail for the P-75 is $595, so it's a bit more than the Gram Slee entry offering.  With a modest discount, you should be able to pick it up for ~ $500. That said, this phono stage is said to pretty spectacular based on comments posted in the vinyl section of Audio Asylum and from what my friends "across the pond" are saying.

This is a dimunutive solid state unit with switchable microcables that allow for a wide variety of cartridges, high output and low output.  Ken Lyon, of Greater Range/Neuance shelf fame has compared it favorably to a number of significantly more expensive units.

Here is information posted by Ken at AA:

I have one in the system right now and it's waaay better than it has any right to be.  I've been playing with it for nearly a full month now and have been comparing it directly against a half dozen of my favorite phono preamplifiers.

It's not much to look at but the performance has been truely impressive. It's proven itself to be quiet, versatile (tho tedious to set), dynamic, detailed, pacey, textured, articulate and expressive with plenty of gain.

My auditions are not yet complete but I can say this: I've not heard a better performing, more musical phonostage below the US$1K mark and it's been showing it's heels to a few well regarded phonostages retailing for substantially more.

best,
k

I have a feeling this phono preamp will be getting some nice ink from reviewers soon.

NB

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2003, 02:13 pm »
FYI--
http://www.dynavector.co.jp/english/frame_cart/frame.html

Can't link directly to the phono stage, click on image in left column.