TUBES WITH GETTER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTLE

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
TUBES WITH GETTER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTLE
« on: 21 Jun 2009, 11:44 pm »

Dear tubes fans,
This image is a regular 6AS7G or 6H13C by WINGED C. :drool:  Just recently I see some tubes images on sale on the web that have the getter not on the top of the bottle as usual, but on the bottom side of the glass.  Iam really not a tube scholar, but this change seems not good in my view.

I see somes 6AS7Gs of various brands as WINGED C, SOVTEK, SHUGUANG and ROESSLER that all these brands no more have the getter on the top of the tube, as could be good and recommended to collect some gas ( I think any gas inside the tube looks to up/rise to the top of the glass).
Then, if anyone of you know anything about this silly change in the tubes, please inform us what you know as:

1- Why all this four makers made this change?
2- Do this botton getter achieve collect some gas?
3- There is some advantage on this new position of the getter?
4- Do you think it is better or worse that the regular top glass getter ?
5- This bottom getter prevent the visual inspections of the base leads/wire ?
6- Do we must avoid to buy this tubes ?
Thankyou for yours comments.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2009, 06:11 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

Ericus Rex

Re: TUBES WITH GETTER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTLE
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2009, 01:14 am »
I rummaged through a few boxes of tubes at a flea market this past weekend and saw lots of old tubes with getters at the bottom.  So maybe this isn't a new thing?  Why it's done I don't know.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2009, 11:05 am »
Hello-

Getters can be placed on the top, bottom and sides of a tube. They all achieve the same goal- to eat up oxygen & other reactive gasses. I always thought the more getters the better but never cared where the flash points are. 

Blair

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2009, 11:48 pm »

ABOVE: a barely visible glass Ulyanovsk plant supposedly Military Russian version of the 6C33 dating from September 1984, has no getter.
BELOW: a Russian missile guidance system from 60's with the best 6C33 avaliable, the SVETLANA 6C33 (WINGED C) :drool:
note the yellow varnish protective sprayed in all chassis surface (surely no C37).
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2009, 09:51 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2009, 12:25 am »
There are tubes with a different getter system.  Some have a chemical deposited on the plate that only reacts when the plate gets warm. You won't see it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2009, 08:48 pm »
Looks this is the case of various WesterElectric tubes that do not have getter on the Bulb, as 300B, 211, 845 etc...