Carl's aluminum HT3 home theater

jsalk

Carl's aluminum HT3 home theater
« on: 21 Jun 2009, 03:46 pm »
Carl was interested in an HT3-based home theater and wanted them in brushed aluminum with black front baffles.  We had never done a metal finish, so this was our opportunity to try something new.

It took a while to track down the material at a price that made sense.  But we managed to locate a company that had quit producing brushed metal sheeting and had four 4' x 8' sheets left.  We bought them and went to work.

I thought it would be quite easy, but it turned out to be far more work than expected.  We were able to flush trim the metal to the cabinets, but there was a lot of hand filing required.  Rather than the couple of hours I estimated for this part of the job, it took Ammar about a week and a half to complete that part of the job.

Here are the results...

Here are the HT3's alone...

And here is a close up showing the brushed metal pattern...

Happy listening Carl!

- Jim

cujobob

Re: Carl's aluminum HT3 home theater
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:34 pm »
That looks great!  The drivers and everything else match really well.

rahimlee54

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:36 pm »
Wow I wouldnt have thought of that, awesome.

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:37 pm »
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the aluminum upgrade?
They look awesome!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:10 pm »
Amazing!  I love wood, but I am not sure that I don't like the aluminum even more.

Could a speaker could be finished in carbon steel with a blued finish, such as Colt Royal Blue or Color Case Hardened?  If carbon steel sheets were blued, they would need to be finished before they were mounted to the cabinets. 

vintagebob

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:17 pm »
Simply stunning.  You did a great job with those!

Christof

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:18 pm »
Nice!

Check out Chemetal for some very wicked metal lams.

I want speakers with this....

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:21 pm »
Nice!

Check out Chemetal for some very wicked metal lams.

Check out Turnbull Restoration Services for an example of Color Case Hardening:  http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/client_images/catalog19872/pages/files/OpenRange_Ldetail.jpg

funkmonkey

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2009, 06:07 pm »
Great idea Carl.  The aluminum looks very sleek.

Jim- did you guys use actual aluminum sheeting for this, or metal-mica?  From experience, I know that the metal-mica is less expensive than solid aluminum sheeting, and is much quicker on the filing end (the file doesn't get gummed up as much as it does with pure Al)...   It's still real aluminum just a thin layer with a backing like you find on many 4x8 sheets of wood veneer.  Just something to think about if you get more orders for this sort of laminate.

ardee

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2009, 06:46 pm »
That is what I am talking about.   I think those look better than mine will, maybe.  Anyway, you have been busy with aluminum these days haven't you Jim. :lol: :wink:
Awesome as usual, enjoy those beautiful speaks Carl.  Very nice.

Robert

Almost forgot, happy Fathers day to all.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2009, 07:08 pm »
Zowie! I guess being a multi-millionaire has it benefits!  :icon_lol:

sedah

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2009, 07:37 pm »
Looks fantastic!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2009, 10:15 pm »
They look great, but shiny metal for use in a HT???

George

BluePenguin15

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2009, 10:58 pm »
Hey Jim,

They look amazing! Can't wait to get them and more importantly hear them!

I'll post an update after I get them.

Carl

Jeff B.

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2009, 11:17 pm »
Very, very impressive.  :drool:

Indeed.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2009, 11:33 pm »
Zowie! I guess being a multi-millionaire has it benefits!  :icon_lol:

Well, the multi-millionaire isn't Jim--not after paying for 80 hours of filing.  We've got to find the man some profit margin.  I would like a pair of HT3's finished in burlap, and don't bother to counter sink the drivers, because I'll never hear the difference. 

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2009, 12:00 am »
The material we used was actual aluminum sheets that had been finished with a scratch pattern on one side.

I am familiar with all the backed metal laminates and there are many options to choose from.  But there were issues I was concerned about.  First, with a laminate, you will always see the backing at the seams.  This may not be a big deal, but I wanted to avoid it. 

Second, I have little experience with laminates and was concerned about bending the material at the point where the tapers began.  I didn't want it to crack.  So I thought it would just be safer to use raw metal.

Finally, the laminates I looked at were more expensive than the raw metal.  Stainless steel, for example, really looked nice but was three times as expensive.

For a number of years I have had samples of some fantistic metal laminates in all kinds of colors and textures.  I have always wanted to try them out and probably will one of these days.  I have always thought a nice copper would look nice with the W18 driver.

As for how much extra it would cost to do this in the future, it is hard to say.  It took a great deal of time on these speakers because we had to learn how to work with it.  The next job will obviously go faster.  Who knows, with the laminated material, it is certainly concieveable that we could finish a pair in less time than it would take to veneer them.  In that case, you are only talking about the additional cost of the laminate.

- Jim

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2009, 12:15 am »
I built a bunch of cabinets  for Chub insurance using solid aluminum laminate  (no Backing) for a lunch room.  the good thing was that you could route it with a router the bad was Like  Jsalk said it was a bear to file., directional you had to watch orentation, and a 4'x 8' sheet was $1700 looked nice but what a pain in the A. Used about 30 sheets of the stuff for the job. It ate router bits and files, just clogged them

ED

Christof

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2009, 12:54 am »
Second, I have little experience with laminates and was concerned about bending the material at the point where the tapers began.  I didn't want it to crack.  So I thought it would just be safer to use raw metal.

It will make the bend....
Specify V32 grade lam if available or use H16 and sand the back side where the bend happens.  I made it around a 90 degree 2" radius bend with V32 MicroDot laminate but cracked H16 with the same bend.

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jun 2009, 12:55 am »
Those look fantastic!  I never would have thought of an aluminum pair of speakers, but now that I've seen them I think it's a great idea.

Enjoy, Carl!   :thumb: