A *MUST* have: Willie Nelson: Stardust

IanATC

« on: 22 Dec 2003, 08:07 pm »
OK folks, (especially country fans),
  Stop what you are doing, and get a copy of Willie Nelson:  Stardust. This is an audiophile dream.  The recording here is supernaturally good, the imaging precise and realism is top-notch.
   Willie Nelsons normally nasal voice is much fuller and richer here.  This is indeed a "rave"  recording.
   I'll bet you that vinyl lovers have had this for some time, and they can expound upon the virtures of the LP.
 Supersonic!
 :D

SWG255

Re: A *MUST* have: Willie Nelson: Stardust
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2003, 08:47 pm »
I had the DCC version of this on vinyl in the early 80's, and missed it dearly until I got the SACD back in September. I wholeheartedly agree with your comments!

Quote from: IanATC
OK folks, (especially country fans),
  Stop what you are doing, and get a copy of Willie Nelson:  Stardust. This is an audiophile dream.  The recording here is supernaturally good, the imaging precise and realism is top-notch.
   Willie Nelsons normally nasal voice is much fuller and richer here.  This is indeed a "rave"  recording.
   I'll bet you that vinyl lovers have had this for some time, and they can expound upon the virtures of the LP.
 Supersonic!
 :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2003, 06:41 pm »
Makes me wish I could stand Willie Nelson. :wink:   Everyone who's heard that one says the sound is great, but he just rubs me the wrong way.  Now you gotta understand I'm from SD, where country music is very popular, especially in small towns and rural areas (where I'm from).  I guess I just learned to dislike most of that stuff at a young age.  I really like Johnny Cash, and I can take some older country stuff (Merle Haggard, Earl Thomas Connelly, Marty Robbins), but overall I just don't like country.

My dad really liked Nelson (and still likes, in fact) and I just ended up hearing him too much.

Daniel

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2003, 09:09 pm »
I love that recording.  I have the Sony gold cd version.  It sounds mighty good (certainly better than the rb version).  Rob, you may want to check out a few cuts from this recording over the internet.  Its quite different from the rest of Willie Nelson's work.  The tunes are pop standards but the style is unique, distinctly American but you have to listen hard to pick up a country influence.  Its great.

boxhead

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2003, 03:29 pm »
Definitely one of his best recordings. The sound is so pure and alive. For an even better sound try this one on headphones. It almost sounds bi-naural. Cheers.

PeteG

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2003, 06:26 pm »
I picked up the SACD disc when it first came out, Killer sound it's always been a fav of mine. And you don't have to be a country fan to enjoy it..

cjr888

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2003, 07:36 pm »
Have the SACD copy and definitely agree.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2003, 08:53 pm »
I was wondering if this was a good one. Thanks for the info - I will probably get it from Tower today if I can find it on sale.

Another one I can recommend is Allison Krauss and Union Station Now That I've Found You. This is a little older (actually a compilation), before Dan Tyminski was in the group. It has some pop standards on it and a few more country numbers. Her voice is the thing that makes it so special. And there is a killer string band version of the rag-time "Oh Atlanta" that I could listen to all day. And I have seen this one on SACD too.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2003, 05:16 am »
The Alison Krauss + Union Station Live SACD is absolutely superb, too- a definate *must-own*, IMO.  Sonically spectacular and musically brilliant.  While I'm don't really care for country, I do like bluegrass/newgrass and a lot of folk stuff.

Wish there was a good recording of The Chieftains on SACD/DVD-A, especially "A Tribute To Bunting", one of my favorites.

hifitommy

this willie disc
« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2003, 10:31 pm »
is wonderful.  here, he doesnt come off as a country singer but a SINGER doing definitive versions of the standards he sings here.  

i have this on vinyl and have always thought the sound was exemplary.  if i didnt have this on LP, would not hesitate to grab it on sacd.

IanATC

The Alison Krauss + Union Station Live
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2003, 04:52 pm »
I have ordered The Alison Krauss + Union Station Live.  It better be good, I am holding Rob Babcock PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for the outcome!* :!:

* Not really.  Sounds menacing though doesn't it? :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2003, 06:34 am »
I don't know if you follow American football, but you can't do anything to me that the Vikings haven't already done! :evil:

Seriously, though, you'll love it I'm sure.

Another good one if you like 'Newgrass' is Chris Thile's "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" SACD.  Instrumental stuff from the mandolin player of Nickel Creek.  BTW, the two Nickel Creek SACDs I have are both magnificent, musically and sonically.

IanATC

Nickle Creek
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2003, 06:50 am »
I have Nickle Creeks self-titled album.  I bought it , and "the great big sea"

I was visiting reletives, and I saw a triple bill:

"Woods tea company"  acoustic folk/traditional- I bought a live cd from them: it is a EXCELLENT recording.
"Great big sea"  very uplifting and energetic celtic and folk.
"Nickle creek"  - that man is the "eddie van halen"  of the mandolin.  I am not kidding when I say "He was gittin' it!" :o

The show blew me away, I did not think that would be possible sans pyrotechnics, makeup, lasers, etc.

But the music was bloody BRILLIANT!!! :D

SWG255

Re: Nickle Creek
« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2003, 05:07 pm »
I got some "mad money" and blew it on SACDs for Christmas. I bought both Nickel Creek SACDs, in addition to others I'll mention in "Latest music...". I'm really looking forward to diving into these. Rob's praise makes the anticipation even keener. I already have the Chris Thile SACD, and it's excellent.

In a slightly different vein, but still more bluegrass/traditional folk than country, I'd recommend "Blue Country heart" by Jorma Kakonnen (sp). This too sounds excellent on SACD. unfortunately it's one of Sony's SACD only discs, so if you want to play it in a conventional CD player, you'll hae to get the CD.  

Quote from: IanATC
I have Nickle Creeks self-titled album.  I bought it , and "the great big sea"

I was visiting reletives, and I saw a triple bill:

"Woods tea company"  acoustic folk/traditional- I bought a live cd from them: it is a EXCELLENT recording.
"Great big sea"  very uplifting and energetic celtic and folk.
"Nickle creek"  - that man is the "eddie van halen"  of the mandolin.  I am not kidding when I say "He was gittin' it!" :o

The show blew me away, I did not think that would be possible sans pyrotechnics, makeup, lasers, etc.

But the music was bloody BRILLIANT!!! :D

Hantra

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2004, 09:45 pm »
I have ordered The Alison Krauss + Union Station Live. It better be good

Ohh. . it IS good. . . VERY good. . .

IanATC

It has arrived
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2004, 07:42 am »
I received it.  It disturbs me because out of 8 cd's I ordered from tower 2 arrived.  This especially upsetting because all items were listed as "in stock- ships within 24 hours"  

Ok so WTBF  are they??? :evil:

I listened to cd-1 of Allison Krauss and it is very good.  I was too wiped out tired after a very long day, so I will have to relisten.  I seem to remember the vocals and instrumentation sounded excellent.