Alberta based owners of Ultra or Insight power amps

bmckenney

Alberta based owners of Ultra or Insight power amps
« on: 16 Jun 2009, 05:15 pm »
Just wondering if anyone on the board is based in Alberta and would be able to let me listen to one of the AVA amps in my system.  I'll supply a nice gift in exchange.

Thanks,
Bryan

Zheeeem

Re: Alberta based owners of Ultra or Insight power amps
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:31 am »
Just wondering if anyone on the board is based in Alberta and would be able to let me listen to one of the AVA amps in my system.  I'll supply a nice gift in exchange.

Thanks,
Bryan

If I can move in with you I'll bring my 350 EXR and let you listen.  Do you keep plenty of food in your fridge?

bmckenney

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:44 am »

Thanks,
Bryan

If I can move in with you I'll bring my 350 EXR and let you listen.  Do you keep plenty of food in your fridge?

Sorry, but I already received an offer from another audiophile who wants to move in with me and he isn't particular about how much food is in the fridge.  He just wants a place to lie down relatively close to the sweet spot.

Why don't you just send me your amp for an audition.  I'll pick up the UPS broker fees because that's the kind of guy I am.

You don't by chance have a turntable do you?  One with a MC cartridge?  I know its relatively unheard of around here, but I thought I'd ask.

Bryan

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:48 am »

Zheeeem

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2009, 02:57 am »

Thanks,
Bryan

Sorry, but I already received an offer from another audiophile who wants to move in with me and he isn't particular about how much food is in the fridge.  He just wants a place to lie down relatively close to the sweet spot.

Why don't you just send me your amp for an audition.  I'll pick up the UPS broker fees because that's the kind of guy I am.

You don't by chance have a turntable do you?  One with a MC cartridge?  I know its relatively unheard of around here, but I thought I'd ask.

Bryan

Not only do I have a turntable, but there is an entire board on another high end audio website dedicated to my turntable.  Feel free to post your questions there.  I'm waiting.

Hope this helps!

bmckenney

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:12 am »
Not only do I have a turntable, but there is an entire board on another high end audio website dedicated to my turntable.  Feel free to post your questions there.  I'm waiting.

Hope this helps!

I would, but that board looks like a ghost town.  There's not much action on it.

Do you have a UPS tracking number yet for the amp you're sending me?

Bryan

turkey

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:52 pm »

Moving coil cartridges? So you like high frequency resonances?
:)

I've always found that MC cartridges have that "audiophile" high end that sounds exciting for about 10 minutes and then reminds me of the fingers on the blackboard kind of thing.

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:55 pm »

Do you have a UPS tracking number yet for the amp you're sending me?

Does UPS deliver to Alberta? I thought you guys were still using stagecoaches? :)

bmckenney

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:37 pm »

Moving coil cartridges? So you like high frequency resonances?
:)

I've always found that MC cartridges have that "audiophile" high end that sounds exciting for about 10 minutes and then reminds me of the fingers on the blackboard kind of thing.

I find loading a MC can change how bright it sounds.  Everyone has their own preferences.  Tubes? Solid state?  MC or MM.  I tried to MM's recently and was not impressed.  Soundsmith and Grado.  I liked the Grado mid range, but not the extremes. 

Bryan

turkey

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:16 pm »
I find loading a MC can change how bright it sounds. 

I ran through the calculations years ago and found that it isn't actually possible to load a MC cartridge properly. You can have them loaded badly, or you can have them loaded worse.

A Grado moving iron cartridge with Frank's Longhorn mod running into a 10Kohm load does a pretty darn good job. I don't see much improvement being possible. You start to run into the limits of the phonograph system itself.

I have a very good local orchestra (it's one of the Big Five), so I can refresh my hearing with live acoustic music. We also have a top notch music school nearby, so I attend concerts there too.

I listen to other types of music too, but I think that I have a pretty good idea of what live acoustic performances sound like.

I don't find that MC cartridges sound much like live music. Some MM or MI cartridges sound more like live music. (A good CD is even closer.)