Drawn to Salk Speakers

mbakes

Drawn to Salk Speakers
« on: 14 Jun 2009, 05:16 pm »
I've only been a part of this site for a short time.  In that time, I've been curious about Salk speakers ever since seeing some of the beautiful custom cabinets on the HT-3 and SongTowers.  I have, what I consider to be great speakers, albeit not well known.  Quite frankly, I'm pretty happy with them over the last 1 1/2 years.  They are System Audio Rangers.  I'm fairly certain there is not a single Salk speaker owner that has heard these so I am going to have to find out for myself.  My ultimate goal would be the HT-3 but I thought I might pick up the SongTower, new or used to compare to what I have.  My speakers retail for $4,500 and that's not to say that the $1800 ST's couldn't compare.  I just thought it would give me an idea on the Salk house sound, if there is such a thing.

I guess I'm curious if anyone has heard a System Audio speaker that has a pair of Salk speakers, admittedly a long shot.  Whether any ST owners were surprised when they beat out there more expensive speakers that they replaced.  Also, whether and ST owners made the jump to the HT-3 and never looked back.

I am currently using a Berendsen Preamp > Odyssey Stratos monos/McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe Rev. A.  My sources at the moment are a Galibier Serac tt and an Emotiva ERC-1 cdp.

Thanks

Art_Chicago

Re: Drawn to Salk Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2009, 05:27 pm »
I only compared my ST's with paradigm S6, I think, for ~ $4,500 and the S6 were marginally better in the bass region giving somewhat richer bass for string double bass. I'd recomend to get in touch with the owners near you for listening. Good luck

mbakes

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2009, 05:35 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I'm South Florida.  The closet possible owners that are listed in the audition thread are a few hours from here and will contact when I'm up in the area in August.  The problem with not having the speakers to audition and/or compare at home is will the sound I hear in their homes translate to my gear and room.  Of course, this is always the problem auditioning speakers.  I'm almost tempted to bring my speakers with me.

Your thoughts regarding your experience with the more expensive Paradigm is encouraging.

Anyone know what, if any, difference there is between the ST QWT and the ST HT?

tgp06

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2009, 08:09 pm »
All Songtowers are QWT(Quarter Wave Transmission Line, which refers to bass loading-credit Paul Kittinger/Martin King). HT stands for Home Theater, I believe- not really relavent. The important distinction is between the ST RT which incorporates a design change to use a Ribbon Tweeter compared to the standard Songtower which uses a 3/4" dome tweeter. The driver spacing on the RT version is also slightly greater to accomodate the physically larger ribbon tweeter.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2009, 09:52 pm by tgp06 »

mbakes

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2009, 08:30 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I was unable to find any reference to HT on the website, only QWT, so I wasn't sure.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2009, 10:31 pm »

Anyone know what, if any, difference there is between the ST QWT and the ST HT?

The biggest difference is the ST QWT exists and the ST HT does not.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I think what you are referring to is the ST RT.  The ribbon tweeter ("RT") is an upgrade option for the ST QWT's and listed under the options section of the ST QWT page on our site.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

mbakes

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2009, 11:44 pm »
I saw one advertised for sale that was listed as an HT.  When I questioned him, he changed the ad to reflect it was a QWT.  I'm not sure what I am going to do yet.  I will probably try to audition a pair in Florida over the next couple of months.  I will say that the finishes on your speakers are some of the nicest I've seen.

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2009, 01:22 pm »
I saw one advertised for sale that was listed as an HT.  When I questioned him, he changed the ad to reflect it was a QWT.  I'm not sure what I am going to do yet.  I will probably try to audition a pair in Florida over the next couple of months.  I will say that the finishes on your speakers are some of the nicest I've seen.

I've seen some of Jim's speakers, and listened to a few also. They are very high quality, yet the price is not up in the stratosphere.

You're also getting essentially a hand-made product, and one that's crafted in the US.

Along with your speakers, you get Jim and associates. They offer service that you won't get at any price from most speaker manufacturers.

mbakes

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2009, 01:26 pm »
From what I've read on the forum, I gathered, they were good people to do business with and clearly the work they do is better than most of what's out there, especially when you factor in the price.  Now I need to hear a pair and see if it's worth moving from my current speakers, which I happen to like a lot.  I know, why change?  Do I really need to answer that question. :)

tgp06

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2009, 03:35 pm »
mbakes,
Listening right now to a pair of dome tweeter Songtowers driven by an AVA Ultimate70 (with recent wiring change) and am absolutely immersed in the "magic" of the presentation. These speakers are very forgiving of placement. The cherry veneer and finish are stunning. Hearing the STs will give you a good idea of the Salk sound, as will other models.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2009, 04:21 pm »
mbakes,
Listening right now to a pair of dome tweeter Songtowers driven by an AVA Ultimate70 (with recent wiring change) and am absolutely immersed in the "magic" of the presentation. These speakers are very forgiving of placement. The cherry veneer and finish are stunning. Hearing the STs will give you a good idea of the Salk sound, as will other models.
Would you please tell us how big  your room is? I am concerened if U-70 has enough power to drive ST's (mine are cherry, too  :thumb:)
do not mean to steal a thread, though.

tgp06

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2009, 04:37 pm »
Art_Chicago,
Will respond in AVA forum.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2009, 04:49 pm »
I have been "following" Frank Van Alstine for almost 30 years now. What I have learned is that all his product recommendations are spot on. If he says Salk speakers are the best he's heard, that's good enough for me. I won't even bother listening to them before I buy them. Period.

(Now I just have to get my finances in order to get some.)

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2009, 02:34 am »
mbakes

if you can get over to New Orleans
I have Salk HT3's and V3's in my setup
and a friend has HT2 TLs

I'd be glad to host you for an audition

what popular speaker brands have you owned in the past?
curious about the sound of your speakers

Tom