10b sub x-over

drummermitchell

10b sub x-over
« on: 14 Jun 2009, 12:24 am »
i'm sure James will nail this.As I've been experimenting using the 10b with my passive Revel 50as.
I went from 26 to Xover inputs,lowpassX2 to subs and highpass to amps.
Could be my ears as I have played with the X-overs and highpass filters ect.
I settled on 70hz on low+highpass and level at highnoon.
I found the bass alot tighter(punchy if you will).
it seems if if the mids+ highs were a little compressed that I could notice it right away.Stage had shrunk abit,cymbals sound quieter and 16"or18"sounds more like a splash cymbal.
no matter what I tried I can't seem to get her to open up(pre to amps=subs).
I wish I had more room as it's quite an ordeal to get behind there.
I'm thinking if I just use the 10B for subs and have the amps direct from pre amp.Any thoughts................... :bowdown:JAMES,I hope I can save a trip behind my gear,Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 10b sub x-over
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2009, 09:50 am »
i'm sure James will nail this.As I've been experimenting using the 10b with my passive Revel 50as.
I went from 26 to Xover inputs,lowpassX2 to subs and highpass to amps.
Could be my ears as I have played with the X-overs and highpass filters ect.
I settled on 70hz on low+highpass and level at highnoon.
I found the bass alot tighter(punchy if you will).
it seems if if the mids+ highs were a little compressed that I could notice it right away.Stage had shrunk abit,cymbals sound quieter and 16"or18"sounds more like a splash cymbal.
no matter what I tried I can't seem to get her to open up(pre to amps=subs).
I wish I had more room as it's quite an ordeal to get behind there.
I'm thinking if I just use the 10B for subs and have the amps direct from pre amp.Any thoughts................... :bowdown:JAMES,I hope I can save a trip behind my gear,Thanks.

Hi Don,

Sometimes the bass (sub) to Mains speaker balance will change and it sounds like your getting less open sound but the differnce is the frequency balance in the room.

Try taking the LOWPASS down a few cycles and leave the HIGHPASS where it is.
So if your at 70Hz on both the lowpass and highpass leave the highpass at 70 and bring the lowpass down to 60 and see if that helps. The other thing you can try is boost the 'gain' on the main speakers by turning the center gain control on the 10B up a dB or 2 to give more prominence to the mains.

If that does not work then the only option is to run the mains direct and the 10B just controls the sub.

James

drummermitchell

Re: 10b sub x-over
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2009, 02:40 pm »
Thanks James,I never did try adjusting the highpass level(left her at highnoon as
John potis recommended).Also using the 10b for subs and running the amps direct to the mains.It's all simple to do,but as you've seen how tight everything is in my room(closet)It's a heck of a time sliding my racks out,                         I finally discovered THE WHEEL.I also figured you have done this before.
so who better to ask,THANKS,I'll do her again tonight.