Three months with my Salk HT2-TLs...

TJHUB

Three months with my Salk HT2-TLs...
« on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:33 pm »
I've had my HT2-TLs since March 20th of this year.  I can't begin to tell you how pleased I've been with their performance.  I have found them to be as close to sounding perfect as I ever could have imagined a speaker could sound.   

The one thing that really stands out about them in my setup is that for all of my previous speakers, some material would be bright sounding and others not.  Different genres of music would be either good or bad sounding.  This seems to have all been balanced out with the HT2-TLs.  I can still hear the brighter material, but it's still very listenable if not good sounding.  I seem to be able to play any genre of music and not find that the speakers are better on one vs. the other.  These issues have driven me crazy for years, and now I just don't seem to have the issue any longer.

I can also tell you that even the smallest change is audible to my ears.  Speaker wires, interconnects, and sources all sound different.  With these speakers, I can hear EVERYTHING.  And the best part is, it's all wonderful!

I've also listened to the HT2-TLs with and without my subwoofer (SVS PB13-Ultra).  It took me a long time, but I have determined that I do prefer music with the sub.  The sub adds that ever so slight weighty sound down deep that I just seem to like.  However, the HT2-TLs are very listenable without a sub for any material other than home theater.  One thing about them that really helped my setup is the midbass performance.  I have a very large room and I was never satisfied with the midbass performance of my B&Ws matched to my sub.  I have absolutely no complaints about midbass now with the HT2-TLs. 

I've owned a lot of speakers and equipment over the years.  It usually doesn't take me long to start finding issues with the sound of my setup after an upgrade or change.  As time passes, I run into more and more things I don?t like or could be improved.  Needless to say, it's very easy to find faults in speakers.  The ONLY small details that could be better are that the soundstage from the HT2-TLs is not quite as wide as my previous B&Ws, and the off-axis performance of the ribbon tweeters could be better.  Both issues are very small and I am being VERY overcritical about them.  Also, after owning ribbon tweeters, I?ll never own anything else.  The ribbons are just spectacularly detailed and NEVER harsh.  I LOVE THEM! 

So I'd just like to extend the most sincere THANK YOU to Jim Salk, Dennis Murphy, and the entire Salk group for engineering the best speaker I've ever heard.  Every day, I feel so lucky that I own them.  Combine their performance with the fit and finish and you have something very special.  I am a very happy Salk customer!  :D

Special note:  What drove me to post this was that I've been working 12-15 hour days (17 hours Wednesday of this week) and I've had no time to listen to my setup.  Last night I got home at 7:30 pm and immediately flipped it on.  I had almost forgotten just how spectacular the sound is, so I decided to write this post today.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2009, 08:24 pm by TJHUB »

Big Red Machine

Re: Three months with my Salk HT2-TLs...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:42 pm »
3 months.  Time to move up the line!

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:44 pm »
Great post, Terry!  However, when I'm over at your house next I'll have to teach you how to use the " ' " key instead of the " ? "  :lol: :P  Haha - just playin' with ya.

I can't wait to come over and hear those HT2's again.  The in-room FR you get in your house is sick, especially since you have no treatments. 

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2009, 05:07 pm »
Great post, Terry!  However, when I'm over at your house next I'll have to teach you how to use the " ' " key instead of the " ? "  :lol: :P  Haha - just playin' with ya.

I can't wait to come over and hear those HT2's again.  The in-room FR you get in your house is sick, especially since you have no treatments.

I have no idea what you are talking about...  :P  (I copy pasted from Word and didn't catch the issue.  :oops:)

My schedule should open up very soon for our next GTG.  My last day as soccer coach is tomorrow and the machine I'm to ship to China is shipping next Friday...hopefully...  :roll:  Nonetheless, I'll be in contact with you soon.  :)

turkey

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:14 pm »
Every day, I feel so lucky that I own them.  Combine their performance with the fit and finish and you have something very special.  I am a very happy Salk customer!  :D

Very cool. It's always nice to see people getting products and service that makes them happy.  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2009, 10:09 pm »

I have no idea what you are talking about...  :P  (I copy pasted from Word and didn't catch the issue.  :oops:)

My schedule should open up very soon for our next GTG.  My last day as soccer coach is tomorrow and the machine I'm to ship to China is shipping next Friday...hopefully...  :roll:  Nonetheless, I'll be in contact with you soon.  :)
<--- Says in a Mr. Burns voice while he touches his fingers together "Egggcellent!"

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:44 pm »

So I'd just like to extend the most sincere THANK YOU to Jim Salk, Dennis Murphy, and the entire Salk group for engineering the best speaker I've ever heard.  Every day, I feel so lucky that I own them.  Combine their performance with the fit and finish and you have something very special.  I am a very happy Salk customer!  :D

And THANK YOU.   Paul Kittinger's transmission line tuning really seems to have been the charm for these speakers.  I'm very happy you continue to like them.