Nearfield monitors for studio

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
Re: Nearfield monitors for studio
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:31 pm »
I guess I figured as much about the sub being necessary.  Trying to go full range without one would certainly defeat the purpose of being a compact desktop system.

It appears I misspoke on the S8R's.  That price I found was $900 each, not per pair.  That makes more sense given the considerable cost of their larger offerings.

HT cOz

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:48 pm »
It appears I misspoke on the S8R's.  That price I found was $900 each, not per pair.  That makes more sense given the considerable cost of their larger offerings.

Just goes to show how much value Danny offers.  For that much money you could get a top of the line Neo1x custom made with an AMP 1 or 2.  Heck maybe even a Majic Buss.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:38 pm »
I would still put the N2X up against that speaker. I've worked on passive and active near fields up to 8k a pair, and they still fall short from being neutral in the critical midrange and upper mids.

Near fields are for monitoring  (and general workhorses, not for mixing) when printing signals to "tape". There's no more critical time to have as accurate a mid range and high mid region as when you're selecting mics, positioning, and Eq.

I'll say it again, write this down:

You won't find a more neutral speaker in the critical mid range than one designed by GR for the same money. If I heard one at RMAF I would be the first to drag Danny over to hear it so hear it.

Cheers

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jun 2009, 02:19 am »
Well since I've heard neither, I am in no place to dispute your assessment.  I'll have a better idea once the demo N2X's that are on their way to me for demo get here. :)  Despite not having any GR-Reasearch speakers, I do have several pairs of speakers in which Danny designed the crossover. (AV123 ELT525T's, Ninja Master Upgraded ELT525M's, and Rocket RS450's)  I feel like all have well designed networks, so my expectations for something designed from the ground up by Danny are fairly high.