BLAK HOLES - WHERE VIBRATIONS SIMPLY DISAPPEAR...

modwright

BLAK HOLES - WHERE VIBRATIONS SIMPLY DISAPPEAR...
« on: 7 Jun 2009, 08:57 pm »
I have discussed the Blak Holes on the Transporter threads as exceptional isolation devices.  I have used them with great success under phono, preamp and digital source gear.

The product is manufactured by Peter Clark of Redpoint Audio and we are pleased to offer them.

Because there is not much information about them available to date, I have sent off some sets to beta customers, some of which ar members on this site, others not.  Below is feedback from one of the first beta customers who after auditioning one set, ordered another:

This last month when I received my Blakholes I had tried many tweeks up to this point and I really thought these would be just another concept that would give some improvement but little did I know when placed properly  one would have a eye opening experience.

These conical shaped objects to start are a work of art.  Very well thought out and the quality was first class. I had ordered these to use under my Modwright  SWP-90SE  Phono Pre. Just so happened that week my new table had arrived but my amp decided to take a leave of absence. I was excited to try these as they really appeared that they would do something.

In my music room I also have my HT which for the last 6 years gets little to no use. You should know we are talking about a 12 years old system and a Sony DV S7000.  Out of wanting to try these under something I thought why not.
Understand, even in my reference system 75 percent of the time I don't even use or have a CD player as to me Analog Rules.  I placed these under my Sony making sure two were located under the heavier side and the third was placed on the opposite side.
In the last six to nine months I would be surprised if I even listened to my CD player a total of 2 hours.
This evening was different  I spent 3 hours non stop listening to Cd's that I had forgotten about.

I heard separation of instruments, and clean dynamics that had not existed up until the Blakholes arrived.

The following day my amp was back and I was now ready for the the real test. I played these under the Modwright no different, keeping two under the heavier side and one off to the opposite side.

I started with a LP that has had so much play I am surprised there is any music left in the grooves.  Meaning one of my favorites that I know very well or I thought I knew very well.

Understand, to me the Modwright Phono Pre does not get any better.  That evening it did !

With the Blakholes in place my black back ground became even blacker. Silence in between notes like I never heard before. The dynamics were stronger and faster. In digital we would say "This has better resolution"  well you get the same in analog with the Blakholes in place.
Every aspect we want to improve upon was happening before me.  From low end being tighter and faster to the high end extension was here.
I have always had a large sound stage.  Well be prepared to have a larger then life sound stage. Increased width and floor to ceiling was there. My speakers are approximately 8 feet apart at all times. I happen to have a local audio friend over the following day as he wanted to hear what was going on.
We decided lets move the speakers further apart, we did this 6" at a time.  At one point we were the better part of 11 feet in separation. The only reason we stopped, we ran out of cable. At no point was there a decline in sonic's or sound stage.

I mentioned earlier that I enjoy my analog over digital.  I do have a NAD M5 Player and even though it gets little play I have noticed a little congestion in this player.  Well,  I have ordered another set of the Blakholes as I know what they did for my 12 year old Sony I can only imagine the improvement I will hear when used with a current unit.

I can  tell you, I have bought and sold more tweeks then the average audiophile.  For once I have found a keeper.

D. Thomas - 6.07.09

Thanks,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2010, 07:25 pm by modwright »

truant

Re: BLAK HOLES - WHERE VIBRATIONS SIMPLY DISAPPEAR...
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2009, 06:38 pm »
Thanks Dan for bringing these to our attention.  I haven't been on the Transporter thread and could not find them mentioned on the Redpoint website.  Also, I could not find them on the Modwright site...did I just not see them?  Are they sold individually or as a set of 3 or 4? 

Regards,
Norman

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2009, 06:56 pm »
Dan, I guess this is the product you about?  http://www.jamnaudio.com/rpa-blakholes.html

truant

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2009, 01:07 am »
I found that site as well soon after I posted.  I'm not sure I'm ready to spend quite that much but I would for the results mentioned above.  In my limited experience the more I've spent on such tweaks the less I've been impressed yet I respect Dan's recommendation so am tempted.  It seems I've often spent too much on footers, dampers, etc. only to return to Herbie's Audio Lab products which never fail to impress me.  I'm looking for something to put beneath my LFD integrated since Herbie's tenderfeet did not have much of effect here.       

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2009, 02:43 am »
I've been using Gingko Audio Cloud 10s for years.  They cost about the same.  When I had my Modwright XA-777ES, I had a separate DVD-A player.  I was using a Samsung HD1000 for a bit for DVD-V (it had no HDMI but upconverted to 1080i or 720p via component) and DVD-A.  I had to send the Samsung in for repair and I borrowed a Rotel RDV 1060 from the local audio shop.  I decided to order one of the Rotels and I moved the Samsung when I got it back temporarily to the secondary basement system.  While I was waiting for the Rotel, I bought 2 of the Gingko Audio Cloud 10s.  Since I did not have a DVD-A player at the moment, I told a friend about it and he was very skeptical (he was using the isolation feet sold by LAT International (which are not bad for under $50) and I dropped it off at his house on Friday night on my way out.  On Saturday he called to ask me if he could keep it and have the store order me another one (which shocked me as he was almost laughing at me for spending $300).  So good isolation devices can make a difference.

Shredder

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2010, 10:18 pm »
I just got a pair of Blakholes to go under my MW TP. Got them mostly beacause I thought they looked cool. However, they had a huge impact on the sound of my system. HUGE. I second D. Thomas' impressions. Highly recommended (and they do look cool).