Beginners guide to Ripping and Playback..I Need HELP

zimonsays

Hello, this is my first post and I need a little guidance. I have a Mac book and just started fooling around with some ripping and now have a bunch of questions:

What is the best way to set the Midi setup? Built in input? and what the best config for the audio output piece?

What?s the best way to rip files? I decided to rip wav files, what the best way to do that? 48? 44? What bit rate?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bill

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Beginners guide to Ripping and Playback..I Need HELP
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2009, 02:37 pm »
Hello, this is my first post and I need a little guidance. I have a Mac book and just started fooling around with some ripping and now have a bunch of questions:

What is the best way to set the Midi setup? Built in input? and what the best config for the audio output piece?

What?s the best way to rip files? I decided to rip wav files, what the best way to do that? 48? 44? What bit rate?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bill

I can't answer your questions, but I had a question a week or two ago about formats, and I was advised against ripping WAV files because the metadata is lost.  Consequently, I have been using iTunes to rip AIFF files, which seems to work very well.  WAV files play back without any problem, on my computer or CDP, but on iTunes and other players, the categorization information is lost.  I have used MAX, Songbird, MacFLAC, FLUKE, and tag, but iTunes seems to work just as well and is easy to use.

zimonsays

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2009, 03:07 pm »
I seem to be getting all the metadata, what would i be losing? My computer has no problem recognizing and playing the files.It just seems that in future it will be a lot easier to re use across other/newer platforms and hard drive space is cheap now.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2009, 03:23 pm »
There is an explanation here on the second page:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67648.20

zimonsays

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2009, 03:33 pm »
thanks for the info, its just what i wanted to know. any info on the best way to config the other settings?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2009, 06:31 pm »
In iTunes, I merely went into the preferences and under the "General" tab, to the right of the pull down menu for "when you insert a CD," there is an "Import Settings" button.  When you click the button, select the AIFF Encoder.  Every CD will be ripped in AIFF.

zimonsays

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2009, 08:47 pm »
what about all the midi settings for input and out put?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2009, 10:09 pm »
what about all the midi settings for input and out put?

On my iMac, there aren't any input options in the Audio Midi Setup application.  For audio output, the source is digital output, and the format is 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-24bit.