Album Info, etc.

pjchappy

Album Info, etc.
« on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:28 pm »
I re-burned all of my CDs to .WAV format, through iTunes.  I was going to convert a copy of all of them to MP3 format, too. . .strictly for use with my iPod.

To avoid duplicate copies in my iTunes library, I removed all the .WAV files from it.  I tried to move them back and now ALL information is lost, except for song name.  No album, no artist, etc.    :guns:

How can I get this information (without re-burning. . .and hopefully without typing it all in)???  If I can't do it through iTunes, please direct me to a program that I can use.  I also have Foobar on my PC.

Thanks!

pjchappy

Re: Album Info, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2009, 11:16 pm »
FYI.  I've discovered WAV files cannot be tagged.  They can be tagged by some programs, but the data only remains with that program they were tagged in.  I will have to convert the files to a taggable format (MP3, Apple Lossless, etc.) and then tag them from there.  Blah.    :cuss:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2009, 12:25 am »
Plus, when going from a lossy format like MP3 back to .wav, you lose a ton of information and fidelity.  Better to have 2 different repositories, 1 for wav and 1 for converted MP3.

Bryan

pjchappy

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:26 am »
Of course, that's why I originally burnt them to WAV.  Ages ago, I had burnt them to Apple Lossless and I didn't use error correction.  Now, WAV with error correction.  Took a lot longer.

If I would have known WAV files can't be tagged, I may have chosen a different lossless format that could.  (AIFF?)  But, all is well now.  I ended up converting all the files to FLAC, keeping the WAV files, of course.  Now, I have to go through and tag each album.  Shouldn't take too long, using Mp3tag.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:08 am »
My bad.  Misread your post.  Thought you deleted them and then tried to convert them back.

Glad it worked out.

Bryan