USB+Overdrive vs Transporter+PaceCar2+Overdrive

silverlight

USB+Overdrive vs Transporter+PaceCar2+Overdrive
« on: 6 Jun 2009, 01:36 pm »
Steve - I had a question for you following the read of your Amarra testing on the Mac, which was very interesting (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68494.0).  Since I'm using a Transporter, I know I avoid all of the audio stack issues and am not using a computer-based player but that the Transporter (or SqueezeCenter server) is just using the iTunes library as the data source.  I use almost exclusively AIFF uncompressed files (as the Transporter plays AIFF natively and no on-the-fly conversion as it would occur with FLAC or ALAC), both 16/44 and 24/96.  I would be very curious on your views of the sound differences you may have heard when driving a Transporter (or SB) to PaceCar2 to Overdrive via I2S versus playing from a computer (ideally with a comparison to Foobar and Mac/Amarra).

ps:  I absolutely LOVE the PaceCar2 and what it's done for the sound quality versus Transporter's standalone digital output to my current DAC.  Looking forward to receiving the Overdrive!

audioengr

Re: USB+Overdrive vs Transporter+PaceCar2+Overdrive
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2009, 04:05 pm »
Steve - I had a question for you following the read of your Amarra testing on the Mac, which was very interesting (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68494.0).  Since I'm using a Transporter, I know I avoid all of the audio stack issues and am not using a computer-based player but that the Transporter (or SqueezeCenter server) is just using the iTunes library as the data source.  I use almost exclusively AIFF uncompressed files (as the Transporter plays AIFF natively and no on-the-fly conversion as it would occur with FLAC or ALAC), both 16/44 and 24/96.  I would be very curious on your views of the sound differences you may have heard when driving a Transporter (or SB) to PaceCar2 to Overdrive via I2S versus playing from a computer (ideally with a comparison to Foobar and Mac/Amarra).

ps:  I absolutely LOVE the PaceCar2 and what it's done for the sound quality versus Transporter's standalone digital output to my current DAC.  Looking forward to receiving the Overdrive!

I dont have a Transporter here, but I have used Amarra with the Pace-Car 2.  Even with the Pace-Car 2, Amarra makes a difference.  There must be something changed in the audio data with iTunes that is not changed with Amarra.

Steve N.

silverlight

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2009, 05:55 pm »

I dont have a Transporter here, but I have used Amarra with the Pace-Car 2.  Even with the Pace-Car 2, Amarra makes a difference.  There must be something changed in the audio data with iTunes that is not changed with Amarra.

Steve N.

I'm sure I don't understand this correctly, but doesn't SqueezeCenter (which feeds the Transporter) simply use the iTunes library as disk storage / file storage like it would a FLAC library or external NAS or drive?  My impression is that other than looking at where iTunes stores the files to get the data, iTunes has nothing to do with the playback / processing / audio data being moved through to the Transporter (and so neither does the Mac's audio drivers/stack/bitrate/settings)?

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2009, 09:23 pm »

Steve N.

I'm sure I don't understand this correctly, but doesn't SqueezeCenter (which feeds the Transporter) simply use the iTunes library as disk storage / file storage like it would a FLAC library or external NAS or drive?  My impression is that other than looking at where iTunes stores the files to get the data, iTunes has nothing to do with the playback / processing / audio data being moved through to the Transporter (and so neither does the Mac's audio drivers/stack/bitrate/settings)?

Never tried any of the Logitech stuff with Mac yet.  I have to believe based on the sound differences when using AirPort Express and Apple TV, that Core Audio is still involved, even with networked and WiFi stuff.  I'm pretty sure this is not the case on a PC.

Steve N.