What autographed vinyl do you have?

Wayner

What autographed vinyl do you have?
« on: 5 Jun 2009, 04:57 pm »
My list is short on this topic, but I have Yes, Yessongs autographed by the whole band and I also have an album by Klaatu, Endangered Species autopraphed by the whole band.

That's it for me. Is it a big deal? Not really, but it's kind of cool.

Wayner :)

lazydays

Re: What autographed vinyl do you have?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2009, 05:25 pm »
two come to mind right away:
* I bought a copy of Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker that has written out the outside of it "Real nice C.B.!"

* the other is a Shiela Jordan LP
gary

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2009, 05:55 pm »
I assume you don't mean the copy of Deja Vu CSNY signed by my friend Danny Small so no one would steal it in our dorm (I wound up with it anyway 30 years later, no, I DIDN'T steal).

Seriously, though, when I was a medical student at NYU, Samuel Barber came into the hospital in a near coma because of high blood calcium from multiple myeloma cancer. We got the calcium under control and he woke up, a dear sweet guy. Got to talking and learned that he was THE Samuel Barber, the famous composer. So I have a signed copy of Adagio for Strings.

It was shortly before his death in 1981 and perhaps if he were Elvis Costello or Nick Lowe I would have recognized his name. I'm not a classical guy, even to this day. Maybe it's time I played it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Barber

Paul

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2009, 05:57 pm »
Surprisingly nothing on vinyl. I do have a signed CD copy of Pat Metheny's "We Live Here" that I got personally from an appearance at J&R Music World.

I also have a full band signed CD copy of Echolyn's "Suffocating the Bloom".

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2009, 06:16 pm »
Cool, something I've got quite a few of   :thumb: I'm pretty lucky, one of the concert venues we go to is really small and the artists stay afterwords, gab and sign stuff.

Here's my list (the ones I can remember)
* Poco on the Legacy and Legend album (Rusty Young, Paul Cotton, Jack Sundrud). I've played Roadie for the band once or twice helping the guys unload stuff from their van at a couple of acoustic concerts at Wildwood Springs Lodge. (vinyl)
* Dave Mason on the Headkeeper from Wildwood Springs Lodge (vinyl)
* Keb Mo on his self titled CD and on Keep It Simple right after the concert (CD)
* Pat Metheny and Steve Rodby on the tour poster from the Speaking Of Now tour right after the concert (poster)
* EST (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) signed liner notes by Esbjorn, Dan and Magnus right after a concert up in Chicago. This one is my most treasured. (CD)
* Little Feat, Paul Barrere and Fred Tackett on Down on the Farm and the Last Record Album after a concert at Wildwood Springs Lodge (vinyl)
* Frank Zappa on Sheik Yerboutie (vinyl)

I've gotten to do a couple of formal interviews besides small talk at Wildwood with the artists. One I did with Tommy Shaw and JY of Styx. Tommy was very cool, JY was a turd. Next I got to spend about a half hour with Pat Metheny. Pat was cool too but extremely focused. I was going to publish those on ETM but it was WAY too much typing. I should have talked Steve into doing a stream but I never got around to it. Now they're a bit dated.

I've got a few more that escape me at the moment but the pi?ce de r?sistance of my autograph collection has to be Father Perkovich's Polka Mass on vinyl. He signed it on the back cover.

Jumpin

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2009, 07:24 pm »
No vinal but...
all Pink Floyd members on Greatest Hits CD (except Syd)
John Mayer
Posters:
John Hiatt
Buddy Guy
and Chris Issak - He drew horns on his picture and asked my wife if she wanted to go backstage.

Mark

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2009, 07:57 pm »
I do have 3 CDs that are autographed. One by all the members of the Moody Blues on their Best of the Moody Blues album. Oh, I forgot the signed album cover hanging on the wall by Billy Joe Royal - Tell it Like it is. That one is the wifes'.

The 2 other CDs I have are by CAMEL and the band leader Andy Latimer, on A Nod and A Wink, and Gods of Light.

Wayner :)

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2009, 08:06 pm »
DAMN, Wayner!  Moody Blues??? :drool:

Mine? 
John McEuen (cd), ex of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Saw NGDB around 1970 (helluva show) and got to see him in a small club about 10 years ago.

John Hartford (CD), same venue about the same time

Kathy Mattea (CD), does an AMAZING low-key show with a great band

Los Angeles Guitar Quintet (CD)

Did a lot of concert photography while in college 60's/70's, and got to meet a lot of performers.  Some of them thought the photographer had the the cool job and they wanted to talk to me; some were a horse's ass.

Fast forward to 2009; still doing concert and special events for a college.  Have met (among others) Hal Holbrook, Garrison Keilor, Lance Armstrong, Bill Bradley, Cokie Roberts (NPR), Winston Marcalis (sp?) and Itzak Perlman.  Helluva nice guy, Itzak.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:05 pm »
vinyl

Amanda Palmer - Who killed Amanda Palmer
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Kicking Against the Pricks

CD"s

a dozen or more cd's by The Swans - Mike Gira  / Jarboe

Niko Case  - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
Niko Case - The Tigers Have Spoken

Nothing But the Water
Grace Potter, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

Recyclone by Dash Rip Rock
Homequest by Tia Knight
The Scavenger Bride by Black Tape For A Blue Girl

Stranger on the Sofa by Barry Adamson

I'm sure i have few more but i can;t think of them right now

ED

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:08 pm »
Great thread!  :thumb:

Scott, I'm jealous of the Keb' Mo' record. That's cool!!!!!

I don't have any.  :(
But my cousin has a signed vinyl of Steve Walsh - Schemer-Dreamer:drool:
He got it after a concert back stage at a small venue in St. Louis called Mississippi Nights, probably 20 years ago.

I love that album.

no1maestro

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2009, 04:23 pm »
I have several but I'll specify the rather strange ones that I came upon. In a thrift I was flipping through lps and I came upon two Liberace autographed ones. The thing unique was his idea of autographing; not only the name but a full outline of the piano and candleabra to boot!!

Scottdazzle

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2009, 04:53 pm »
I assume you don't mean the copy of Deja Vu CSNY signed by my friend Danny Small so no one would steal it in our dorm (I wound up with it anyway 30 years later, no, I DIDN'T steal).

Seriously, though, when I was a medical student at NYU, Samuel Barber came into the hospital in a near coma because of high blood calcium from multiple myeloma cancer. We got the calcium under control and he woke up, a dear sweet guy. Got to talking and learned that he was THE Samuel Barber, the famous composer. So I have a signed copy of Adagio for Strings.

It was shortly before his death in 1981 and perhaps if he were Elvis Costello or Nick Lowe I would have recognized his name. I'm not a classical guy, even to this day. Maybe it's time I played it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Barber

Paul

Paul,

Barber's Adagio for Strings is one of the most moving pieces of music written in the 20th or any other century.  You will probably recognize it because it has been used on several movie soundtracks over the years.  Listen to it!!!

Scott

rawdata

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2009, 11:50 pm »
I totally agree about the moving, emotional aspects of "Adagio for Strings" by Barber. Whenever I hear it , I imagine all of the world's saddness unfolding before me; but at the end there is a resolving peace. Maybe it reminds me of life itself (of course I'm weird).

This piece was used by the movie "Platoon" among others. Do listen to it as Scott suggests.....

dangerbird

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2009, 11:44 am »
Eh,,just a couple for me,one ofr the wife,, mine= Leon Russell and Joe Bonamassa

Wife--no I'm not kidding----"The fab four",,, the older members will know who I'm talkin' about. She was a local fan club editor and was flown to NY to see them,IIRC,,anyway,,guess it'll be passed on to someone in the family.

Cheers.

mjosef

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2009, 04:18 pm »
The date: 1985
Sun Ra and the Arkestra, Cosmo Sun Connection.
At the urging of one of the members(outcast at that time, thanks Danny), got introduced to all the members and got their signatures on their latest release.  I was never a big fan of autographs (still ain't).
Its still a virgin vinyl, never played the record. I heard the band live so many times that year, didn't feel the need to hear the sounds reproduced.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jun 2009, 05:54 pm »
I don't have a one - I was probably too stoned to think about signing my vinyl.

Now, I'm too mature :lol:

I did get a 'fuck you' from Miles once at The Blue Note in Manhattan, tho :wink:

John

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2009, 12:46 am »
I've heard he was an a-hole. Sounds like there's some truth to that?

Bob

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2009, 01:53 am »
I've heard he was an a-hole. Sounds like there's some truth to that?

Bob

100% truth to that one.

One might say I truly did receive Miles' signature that day :lol:

It didn't stop me from enjoying his set afterwards, either.  I forgot what I paid to see him tell me 'fuck you', but I stuck around to the last tune was played :wink:

John

dangerbird

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2009, 11:05 am »
Okay,, I have to ask,, what did you do to get the Eff U response from him,, inquiring minds want to know.I've got a feeling that a story is in this.  8)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2009, 01:38 pm »
Okay,, I have to ask,, what did you do to get the Eff U response from him,, inquiring minds want to know.I've got a feeling that a story is in this.  8)

I was simply gushing about the guy - to him.  'Mr. Davis, I love your music' or 'Mr. Davis, I've enjoyed your music for quite some time' (I cannot remember the exact words, but they were far from goading or rude).

I'm pretty straightforward and honest about my feelings on matters.....I wouldn't have paid money to see him if I didn't like his music, frankly :)

To which, he barely acknowledged my presence while looking toward his drink (I assume alcohol, but I really don't know) and said 'fuck you'.  There was silence after that so I just sorta' slunk away :surrender:

I was a bit hurt, honestly (I was built more sensitively at that point in my life - age, maybe 21 or so), told my friends afterwards what happened....and we had something to laugh about the rest of the evening.

He played a great set, btw...so he seemed not phased by my rebuke :lol:

John