3 Big scores.....at least for me.

Wayner

3 Big scores.....at least for me.
« on: 4 Jun 2009, 05:39 pm »
I guess it pays to take your time hunting. I scored in one day what I've been looking for for years.

Up first is a mint copy of Yes, Close to the Edge, on Mobil Fidelity Sound Labs. The cover is next to mint and the LP is, well I'd have to call it mint as it really looks unplayed. This did not come cheap as it is the most I've ever paid for a record, that being $80. However, if there is a bright side, I've seen this album go for near $300.

The second score was a double album by Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. It's cover is intact, but scuffed. The LPs are near mint, with no visable blemishes and almost zero pops. I'm listening to it now and it's certainly a gem, even by my standards. I did a buy-it-now for $13.95.

Lastly,  was another album by Yes, the ever popular 90125. It and the cover are near mint, tho I haven't played it yet.

While ickbay can be a pain in the ars, you can find what you want, and I must say that all of my sellers have been right on with their condition claims. I only buy from people who have a 99.9 or better feedback. This pays off, too.

Wayner :)

maxwalrath

Re: 3 Big scores.....at least for me.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2009, 06:39 pm »
Nice.  Getting good deals is such a great feeling.   :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2009, 06:41 pm »
Congrats Wayner.

Things like that get harder and harder to find.

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2009, 06:44 pm »
Hiya Wayner,

Nice score. Don't know if you've listened to CTTE yet but the MoFi is pretty good. Much better than my Atlantic copies. I got really lucky when I found mine. It and six other MoFi's were in a box of 60 records that I bought for $80. Steal might be a better word.

Since you are spinning Lamb right now, I'm sure you know the popular interpretation of the story. Here's a slightly different look at what that album could be about. I wrote this a few years ago over at TNT-Audio.com. I have to send you to the Google cahced version since it seems the TNT site is down at the moment.

Lamb Lies Down Google Cache
Lamb Lies Down at TNT-Audio

Its kind of an interesting take on the album. Of course its all supposition. I actually submitted it as a question to Peter Gabriel to see if I was somewhere close to right but I only got static. That's OK, if he were to confirm that would have him backtracking on 30 years of popular notions.

Anyway, give the article a read then play all four sides while reading the lyrics. See if you don't interpret the same things I did into lyrics.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2009, 07:12 pm »
Great article! I had no idea that you are of that mind set. AC has many interesting people, doesn't it. I think I agree with your conclusions on the topic of the Lamb. There is a duality there that can't be denied.

Yes, Close to the Edge has a story too. It is of a religious nature as all of Yes's albums are. To make it short and non-religious, the album is about mankind "taken to the edge" by their own doings. To the Edge means everything is total dismal, economy, war, starvation, no hope, no values.

I'm putting this one on next.

Wayner

rydenfan

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2009, 08:15 pm »
Scott, very cool review! Nice work  :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2009, 10:23 pm »
I got a minty The Yes Album a couple of weeks ago for 6 bucks, much better than my copy. I feel bad when some stranger has a disk that sounds better than mine, as I took pretty good care of my vinyl throughout the years. I feel that nothing, but nothing, matches the buildup at the end of Yours Is No Disgrace. As dramatic as the switching guitars at the end of Abbey Road.

CTTE is my second fav, haven't listened to my American Atlantic in quite some time. Fragile comes in third, then Time And A Word, then Yes. I'm glad to know the MoFi is good because I had to immediately give my daughter my new Rhino The Yes Album because it was total dreck. I had given her my old copy but had to take it back once I heard how bad the Rhino was.

Never got into the "second wind" phase of Yes, 90125, etc. Maybe it's time...I see they're on tour. Wonder if Anderson's voice recovered?

Paul

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2009, 11:21 pm »
Ortho,

Glad you mentioned that about the Rhino. I've been tempted to buy that a couple of times and resisted. Glad I didn't spend the money on something that sounds that bad.

Some second wind of Yes is OK. Its surely not what their first eight or so albums represent. I do have to say I thoroughly enjoy Going For The One. 90125 isn't too bad either. I've got Drama, Union and Tormato but have never really gotten into those other than a few songs.

I'm not sure why but after Relayer something changed. I guess it was Jon Anderson leaving after GFTO (or was it Tormato?) and the imminent break up that was to come in 1981 or so.

Airborn

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:02 am »
Relayer is an awesome and often overlooked YES album IMO.  My original vinyl copy sounds awesome. To keep things on topic, nice pick ups on the MoFi Wayner, although that's more than I am prepared to spend on even very good vinyl.

robinje

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:21 am »
Very nice, Wayner!  Those are some fine albums and I'd like to score some copies myself.  I think I must listen to vinyl tonight...  oh, yeah!

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2009, 11:29 am »
Side 1 of CTTE had a few static pops, but other then that, nearly perfect. I think this is the 5th copy of this album that I have. I bought the new release from Friday Music, but while not terrible, it's not even up to the Atlantic standard.

I was to the Relayer concert. Also, CTTE, Big Generator, and Tales From Topographic Oceans. But the greatest concert was here in Minneapolis at the Orpheum Theater, front row in the orchestra pit, about 7 feet away from Steve Howe. I think it was the Ladder concert tho they did lots of stuff from Talk, which is a fantastic album. It's very hard rocking, much like Open Your Eyes.

Wayner

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:26 pm »
Relayer is an awesome and often overlooked YES album IMO.  My original vinyl copy sounds awesome. To keep things on topic, nice pick ups on the MoFi Wayner, although that's more than I am prepared to spend on even very good vinyl.

Not overlooked according to the prog community as a whole, especially the guitar afficianados. I p[ersonally didn't care for it as much. The sound was thin and confused compared to the older albums. I'm a Tales guy at heart.

It seems that if you like one you don't particularly like the other. The band does have a completely different sound on each. It's kind of like the reaction of Genesis fans before and after Gabriel left.

I've been a Yes fan since the 70's, but tended to give up on them after Going for the One. Never heard 90125, but a lot of fans really like this one. I'll have to give it a shot one of these days.

Bob

G E

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:50 pm »
Lamb Lies Down is a long-time favorite.  I bought it the day it came out and still have it to this day.  Have the original CD which was a huge let-down and not often played.  A few months ago I got the Genesis SACD surround set and the Lamb is spectacular in hi-res surround.  But I am still amazed how great the LP sounds, even on my basic Harman Kardon HK720 table and $30 Grado cartridge.  Mine is in great shape but side 2 is pressed slightly off center.  I think I went through 3 or 4 copies of the record when I first bought it to find a pressing that was reasonably good.  A friend of mine had the original Japanese pressing of it.  Unfortunately he sold it in the  heyday of digital transition.  He now has deep regret.

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2009, 01:44 pm »
My least favorite Yes album is Magnifaction, which was their last. Anderson, for some reason, let some Hollywood producer structure the music and to me, this album just blows, bigtime. I've played it twice and really dis-liked it the second time.

Back to Genesis, My Favorite album by them is Selling England by the Pound.  To me, this album, like Yes's Yes Album, changed the course of rock music forever. Of course there were lots of folks like King Crimson, ELP, Moody Blues that were paving new landscape in rock-n-roll dom.

W

BobM

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:15 pm »
My least favorite Yes album is Magnifaction, which was their last. Anderson, for some reason, let some Hollywood producer structure the music and to me, this album just blows, bigtime. I've played it twice and really dis-liked it the second time.
W

It can't be as bad as Tormato, can it?

As for Genesis, their best to me will always be Seconds Out. I just love these versions of the old songs. After that comes Lamb, hands down. I'm always a sucker for long concept albums.

Speaking of which, have you ever heard Nektar's "Remember the Future"? Be careful though, there was an early CD version with a bad mix. Get the original vinyl if you can.

Wayner

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2009, 04:53 pm »
I have that album, Bob. Infact I have 2 of them. I also have a couple of "concept" albums by a band called Planet P. One album is self titled and the other one is called Pink World (2 disc set).

Wayner :)

orthobiz

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2009, 05:58 pm »
[quote author=BobM link=topic=68608.msg635830#msg6358

Speaking of which, have you ever heard Nektar's "Remember the Future"? Be careful though, there was an early CD version with a bad mix. Get the original vinyl if you can.
[/quote]

Got the vinyl when it came out. It had lots of airplay in New York at the time.

Paul

Jazz-Vinyl

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2009, 02:58 am »
Nice find, Wayner!! 

I saw Yes, 6 times, I think...back in the days.  I have a clean copy of CTTE on the Atlantic label.  I have a clean copy of  Chris Squire's "Fish Out Of Water" that I really love, too.  Side 2 is fantastic. 

I have a mint copy of the original "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" but I have never played it end to end...will make that a project this weekend.   I just wasn't paying attention for some reason when it was current.

How about Jethro Tull??  Any JT fans in the circle?  My favorite is "Stand Up" and gotta love the album, for it's cutout that stands up when you open gatefold.

-=[ Bruce ]=-

Listens2tubes

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:26 am »
Now you got me thinking aa I have to listen to some YES, ASAP. I have YES, Fragile, Close To The Edge, Drama and 90125 all on  Atlantic. I remember thinking the early stuff was not so good sounding, will have a fresh listen and decide if some MoFi's are in my future. Thanks for the enlightening post Wayne. 8)

orthobiz

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2009, 04:58 pm »
Never heard of Friday Music, apparently they have an audiophile version of Close To The Edge, cannot vouch for the sound:

http://www.fridaymusic.com/

Paul