Telefunken open baffle cabinets

kunja

Telefunken open baffle cabinets
« on: 4 Jun 2009, 03:53 pm »
Last weekend I bought a pair of large open baffle/open back cabinets with Telefunken badges. I have not measured them yet, but they are approximately 4.5 ft tall, 30 inches or so wide and maybe a foot deep. They have two 9 inch driver holes, but I am not confident that these are original.

Apparently the person I bought them from picked them up for the coral flat 10 drivers that were mounted in them.

Anyway, I?ve used the existing holes in the cabinet to mount a fascia board with Fostex fe126 drivers. The sound is amazingly rich, with lots of depth, imaging galore and more than enough bass. I was really surprised at the bass these little 4.5 inch drivers are making here. I?ll soon be trying the Fostex 206 as well as my favorite driver, the Visaton B200. I?ve been playing with open baffle speakers exclusively for the last two years or so, and this is some of the best OB sound I have ever heard.

So, can anyone identify these cabinets? I?ve seen a few references online to the Siemens Bayern, and it looks similar, but it is hard to tell from the angle at which the Bayern images were taken. I?m wondering when these were made and what drivers would have been in them? Is this a one of a kind cabinet? Could it be a home made job that someone slapped Telefunken badges on? Regardless, it is a wonderful; cabinet and I am having a lot of fun with these.

Thanks for any info.

kunja

Re: Telefunken open baffle cabinets
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2009, 05:31 pm »
Just to follow up on this...

I mounted both the Fostex fe206e and the Visaton B200 into these cabinets over the weekend, each running for about 12 hours. Much to my surprise, I am back to the little fe126! And it was no contest really, they are much better in this cabinet than the other two drivers. The fe206 came in a somewhat close second, and in the bass department it is the clear winner with some very very low and controlled bass. But the tone, richness and "live" feeling the little 4.5 inch fe126 brings in these cabinets is just amazing. When they are playing it is really hard to believe that so much big sound is coming from those little drivers.

My beloved Visaton B200 was the worst sounding of the three in this cabinet, with way too much boomy bass and a hard almost brittle feeling to the sound. What a shock for me. And what a relief actually to go back to the fe126. Back on their 24x36 baffles and the B200s shine again.

So, now maybe it is time to look at the Planet 10 modified fe126....

Hope someone has some insight on these cabinets at some point, they are a real gem with the little drivers.

Piek

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2009, 10:12 am »
Hi,

they are similar to Frank Kuhl's Baffles, he is selling them at the moment: http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=55942
I think he tried lots of speakers and selfmade coaxes in them, maybe you get in contact and ask for drivers that fit.

-Micha

kunja

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2009, 07:59 pm »
Hi Micha,

Thanks for that link!