Simple salmon

JohnR

Simple salmon
« on: 2 Jun 2009, 11:10 am »
Salmon (Tasmanian) seems to be quite cheap here at the moment. Skinless fillets, cooked on baking paper for a few minutes with some salt and lime juice.

Good  :green:

maxwalrath

Re: Simple salmon
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:27 pm »
I've made a decent amount of salmon over the last year.  I usually use this fast and easy glaze with great results:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Seared-Salmon-with-Balsamic-Glaze-104241

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:55 pm »
Here's the one we use regularly during the winter months: Salmon With Pistachio Basil Butter

http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-search.cfm?Course_vch=Salmon&ttl=1&Recipe_id_int=40136

Although now that I have a smoker I think we will be trying out some of those rubs and recipes for the summer months. In my experience it is well worthwhile to buy the full fresh fish. I'm very luck that I live on Long Island and have easy access to fresh caught Atlantic Salmon, so I don't have to eat the farm raised stuff. It is an alltogether different fish in my opinioin.

Bob

turkey

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2009, 02:30 pm »
very luck that I live on Long Island and have easy access to fresh caught Atlantic Salmon, so I don't have to eat the farm raised stuff. It is an alltogether different fish in my opinioin.

Atlantic salmon have been over-fished. I'll stick to wild salmon from Alaska, where they've been taking care of their fisheries.

Farmed salmon is certainly bad news, so I don't buy it at all.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2009, 03:02 pm »
I've had every intension in the world to BBQ some "Cedar Salmon". I've had the cedar planks for the better part of a year now. Just can't seem to get the planets aligned right.  :duh:

Bob

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2009, 03:30 pm »
I'm very luck that I live on Long Island and have easy access to fresh caught Atlantic Salmon, so I don't have to eat the farm raised stuff. It is an alltogether different fish in my opinioin.

Bob

Bob, I'm not 100% certain, but I am not sure there is such a thing as wild Atlantic salmon.

I think 'Atlantic salmon' is a synonym for farm-raised today.

Here in California, where there are some wild salmon in the cold Pacific waters nearby and north of us off of Oreon, Washington and Alaska....when a grocery or restaurant sells 'Atlantic salmon' it means it's been farm raised. 

It can be 'fresh caught' in a tank :(  It may well even be organic, but the fish has not lived it's life in the wild.

John

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:09 pm »
I like my salmon served raw, with sushi rice and a dipping sauce of tamari and wasabi.  :drool:

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:31 pm »
Well, the fish I buy comes in off the boat and right onto the ice. The boats come in and out of Long Island's south shore into the Atlantic. So what would you call it?

Bob

turkey

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:38 pm »

Bob, I'm not 100% certain, but I am not sure there is such a thing as wild Atlantic salmon.

I think 'Atlantic salmon' is a synonym for farm-raised today.

Wild Atlantic salmon are almost fished-out, but you can still get them sometimes if you live near the coast.

In general though, "Atlantic salmon" means "farmed Atlantic salmon that don't taste that good, use 3 pounds of wild fish to produce a pound of farmed fish, and destroy the environment and biosphere."

turkey

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:39 pm »
Well, the fish I buy comes in off the boat and right onto the ice. The boats come in and out of Long Island's south shore into the Atlantic. So what would you call it?

I would call it the last gasp of the dying Atlantic salmon fisheries.

turkey

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:54 pm »
I like my salmon served raw, with sushi rice and a dipping sauce of tamari and wasabi.  :drool:

Some Japanese restaurants serve a dish called Sake Yakimono. It's salmon with the same sauce as is used for Yakitori - Tare Sauce.

There's a recipe here that looks good:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Pan-Seared-Salmon-With-Tare-Sauce-271579

I also recently had Choo Chee Salmon at a Thai restaurant. It was fantastic, and I'm tempted to try making it myself.

Here's a recipe:

http://www.chefpla.com/article/72-thai_fish_curry_choo_chee_pla_salmon_fillets.html

I also wanted to mention that Arctic Char is another fish that is similar to salmon, but generally much less expensive. It's typically farmed in an environmentally safe way, so it's a good choice.

I wouldn't hesitate to substitute char for salmon in either of the above recipes, for instance.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2009, 05:19 pm »
I had Char recently (1st time) at an (environmentally-responsible) fish restaurant called Yankee Pier here (at the San Fran airport actually, tho they have other outlets in the Bay area)

It was pretty salmon-like.....not quite the delight of the Coho, King and other wild varieties caught north of me in the Upper Northwest...but pretty darn good on it's own right :thumb:

http://www.yankeepier.com/sfoairport/sfo_menu.html

John

turkey

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2009, 06:34 pm »
I had Char recently (1st time) at an (environmentally-responsible) fish restaurant called Yankee Pier here (at the San Fran airport actually, tho they have other outlets in the Bay area)

It was pretty salmon-like.....not quite the delight of the Coho, King and other wild varieties caught north of me in the Upper Northwest...but pretty darn good on it's own right :thumb:

I made some char recently that came out really well. I took some Mrs. Dash and some lemon juice and sprinkled it on top and baked the fish in a pyrex baking dish. Kind of like the way John R made his salmon.

Very good and very good for you. :)

PhilNYC

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jun 2009, 10:00 pm »
I've had every intension in the world to BBQ some "Cedar Salmon". I've had the cedar planks for the better part of a year now. Just can't seem to get the planets aligned right.  :duh:

Bob

This is pretty much the only way I cook salmon these days...marinated in teriyaki, sprinkled with a little oregano, then put on a wet/smoking cedar plank on the grill for 13-14 minutes (low heat, covered)... :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2009, 10:11 pm »

Phil, Sounds great!  aa
Do you tilt the plank at all?

Bob

PhilNYC

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2009, 12:34 am »

Phil, Sounds great!  aa
Do you tilt the plank at all?

Bob

No...what does tilting do?

Here's a tip, tho...when you're ready to cook, put the plank (soaked for an hour or two in water) on the grill without the salmon, with the heat high.  The heat will start evaporating the water out of the plank...wait until the top surface of the plank looks dry, then flip the plank, put the salmon filet on the plank, then cover the grill and turn the heat down to low (assumes you have a gas grill...for charcoal grills, you might just want to put the wet plank closer to the coals, then lift it up onto the grill when its ready to put the salmon filet on)....this gets the smoke going on the plank.  The salmon will be cooked in just 13-14 minutes, so its exposure to the cedar smoke is fairly short...getting the plank hot and smoking optimizes that time...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jun 2009, 12:51 am »
Excellent information Phil, thank you!

As I've never done it..... :roll:.....I've "heard" that tilting the plank at a slight angle is beneficial. Not sure why.
Maybe somebody else can chime in? Please?

Bob

Martyn

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2009, 04:57 am »
Haven't heard of tilting. I planed up a cedar plank out of an old fence board a few years ago, but I never remember to put it in to soak! So I usually default to my practice of folding up the edges of some heavy duty tinfoil to make a tray slightly larger than the salmon fillet, adding a tablespoon each of good quality olive oil, lemon juice, and light soy, and then cooking with the BBQ on medium. I like wild Pacific salmon, usually sockeye or coho, and cook a 1" thick fillet for 10 minutes. Once in a while I'll grate some ginger over it or add some crushed garlic. For a change, I might cook it the same way, but with just a lump of butter and a few sprigs of parsley.