Washington, DC Speaker Event

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Washington, DC Speaker Event
« on: 2 Jun 2009, 12:13 am »
I don't know whether there are many Washington DC-area members on the board, but if you're within striking distance, I'll be holding a speaker event on Saturday, July 18.  DIY enthusiasts around the area will bring their speakers for a show and tell, and I'll have a pair of HT4's up and running, and my passive take on the Linkwitz Pluto using an upward firing ScanSpeak revelator woofer and a planar tweeter.  Plus local electronics genius Neil Davis will have a magic instant crossover comparer that can show the effects of changing slopes, topologies, and crossover points on a given speaker.  He hopes to make that speaker a 5-way omni, but he has a day job, so he's not promising anything that elaborate.  But I can promise food.   Things will get underway around 10:00AM at my place--5214 Wehawken Rd, Bethesda MD  20816.  PM me if you think you can make it.  Hope so!

R Swerdlow

Re: Washington, DC Speaker Event
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:29 pm »
Dennis

I'll be there.  I still have all the parts for a pair of MB27s I was going to build for a nephew who was getting married.  The wedding fizzled, but the DCDIY is a good reason to get that job done.  I'm using those curved Parts Express cabinets.

When you get an idea of how many plan to show up, let me know if you want any help with food.

Richard

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:34 pm »
This looks like fun. You should post it in the Mid-Atlantic Audio Circle.  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2009, 06:18 pm »
This looks like fun. You should post it in the Mid-Atlantic Audio Circle.  :thumb:

Didn't know there was such a thing.  Thanks. 

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:01 pm »
I think I am in for two as well.  A friend whose dad actually lives about 45 minutes from there so we will do a double purpose trip, should be a good time.  He isnt into audio that much but he wants to be, maybe this will send him over the edge.  PM isnt working right now so I'll try to send you one later.

Jared

Dave Littel

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:01 pm »
Hi Dennis, I'm going to try to make it.  I can't wait to hear the HT4's.  Cheers

evan1

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:25 pm »
Too bad I am passing through the week before

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:47 pm »
Hi Dennis, I'm going to try to make it.  I can't wait to hear the HT4's.  Cheers

That would be great.  You can compare them with the Song Towers, which all started with you.  See ya.

Dave G

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:15 am »
Dennis,

I'm hoping to attend at least some of this.  I live just across the river in McLean, and I know exactly where you live (we know some your neighbors on Wehawken Rd.).  Thanks for putting this together.

Dave

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:46 am »
That's terrific.  Could you please do me a favor and pm me just so I'll have a permanent record?   Thanks. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2009, 09:24 pm »
I've posted directions to the July 18 DCDIY event on my website:

http://www.murphyblaster.com

I've had a good response, although I could always use another diy speaker to demo.  Right now the lineup is Salk Beast,  HT1 TL, ST's, Usher Tiny Dancers, home brew variant on the Pluto, Mudula NeoD, 3-way with Raven R1 ribbon and Seas Excel W15 mid, and a couple of other DIY's that I don't know much about.  It should be fun if I don't blow an amp. 

Paul K.

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2009, 11:15 pm »
Dennis, do you really mean HT1 TL or do you mean HT2 TL?  If you do mean HT1 TL, which version, the ML-TL or the compound tapered TL?

I've posted directions to the July 18 DCDIY event on my website:

http://www.murphyblaster.com

I've had a good response, although I could always use another diy speaker to demo.  Right now the lineup is Salk Beast,  HT1 TL, ST's, Usher Tiny Dancers, home brew variant on the Pluto, Mudula NeoD, 3-way with Raven R1 ribbon and Seas Excel W15 mid, and a couple of other DIY's that I don't know much about.  It should be fun if I don't blow an amp.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2009, 12:05 am »
Dennis, do you really mean HT1 TL or do you mean HT2 TL?  If you do mean HT1 TL, which version, the ML-TL or the compound tapered TL?

Actually, I meant HT1.  I don't have a pair of the HT2 TL's.  But I don't have a pair of the HT1's either--they were supposed to arrive Saturday, but now
it's going to be Monday.  So I'll have to come up with something before Saturday.  Even if I'm not completely done with the crossover, we can compare the bass response of the two versions.  That's really why I'm going to play them.  Should be interesting. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:33 pm »
oops--never mind--I tried to post a pic from yesterday's GTG, but no go.  I'll keep trying. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:51 pm »
Well, the DCDIY GTG went off with almost no hitches, other than a very irritated golden retriever.  People were expecting me to demo the new HT4, but imagine their surprise when I switched in the even bigger, even more beautiful HT5:

http://api.photoshop.com/home_7e53687d13c747d28ccec9a6980c7256/adobe-px-assets/3184ab3061b7496988c42c2f692d8f32

Best of all, it will actually fly from audition to audition.  Perfect. 

Also to be seen is the V3 monster center on the left, and my very one off Ellis 1801 3-way on the right.   

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:55 pm »
Are you calling it the HT5 because it's a five way speaker?????

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2009, 03:57 pm »
That looks like a speaker version of WALL-E Dennis!   :lol:

George

funkmonkey

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2009, 04:00 pm »
Holy OCTO-saucer...  what the heck is that?

bahorn1

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2009, 04:17 pm »
"Danger, danger, Will Robinson."  All that thing needs is 2 arms.  Does each level spin too while they are playing?

fsimms

HT5
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2009, 05:14 pm »
OMG 5 Way!  I guess is is woofer, lower midrange, upper midrange, tweeter and super tweeter.

Wow!

Bob