Favorite veneers

floresjc

Favorite veneers
« on: 1 Jun 2009, 05:36 pm »
Ok, so I started this to get an idea of what everyone's favorite pair of Salk speakers look like. I bought a beautiful batch of waterfall bubinga for my SongTower home theater, but there's probably not enough to cover the additional HT2-TL's. So I'm in the process of figuring out what else would be just "wow". I really like the fireburst paint job over the veneer, but its a no go from the wife. She wants the natural wood look. The room is well lit with a huge wall of windows, and the colors are neutral tan accented with a dark chocolate color, just to give you an idea.

So far, I've come up with a couple selections that would give me a different feel than waterfall bubinga and the wife likes. But I just wanted to give everyone else a chance to pipe in with their top choices, I'm sure there are combinations out there I haven't seen. Right now I'm pretty enthused about a Macassar Ebony HT2-TL, perhaps accented in Claro Walnut. I also think the Rosewood ones I have seen are pretty smooth as well. Just so many good choices, and only so much money in the pocket book!

bryede

Re: Favorite veneers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2009, 05:49 pm »
All the choices you can make with Salks are a blessing and a curse. If you could only pick from 2 or 3 standard finishes, then it takes maybe 5 minutes to decide which one is least offensive. When you can pick anything, then there's no one else to blame when lime-green over cedar doesn't turn out to be as timeless as you thought.

Personally, I think rosewood looks nice just about everywhere I've seen it used.

turkey

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2009, 06:11 pm »
I saw a pair of speakers Jim did in Macassar Ebony, and they were gorgeous.

These look like they'd be really sharp in person too:

http://www.salksound.com/vom_2006_july_3.shtml

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2009, 06:17 pm »
These are my two favorite veneers (besides my Pau Ferro Rosewood):

Pelin Burl

Crotch Mahogany